Expired Hot Deals

[TechCity] Nvidia Shield Android TV 4K HDR Streaming Media Player for $149.99 PM at ME for $144.99 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2021 4:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8959 posts
1992 upvotes
London

Nvidia Shield Android TV 4K HDR Streaming Media Player for $149.99 PM at ME for $144.99 YMMV

Deal Link:
Price:
$149.99
Retailer:
TechCity
https://www.techcitycanada.ca/index.php ... dia+shield

$149.99 before Tax, only thing is pick up in Toronto only and need to add $14.99 for shipping if you are outside Toronto. I was able to PM at Memory Express for $144.99, I am outside GTA and my local ME did not charge me shipping for store pick up so I paid $144.99 plus tax. YMMV

The Pro is $214.99 https://www.techcitycanada.ca/index.php ... dia+shield
164 replies
Mar 12, 2016
961 posts
1616 upvotes
With how cheap 4k TVs are, did they finally upgrade shield UI to 4k yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3789 posts
2103 upvotes
GTA
Dang that’s a good price.

I am holding out until the next version of the shield, which should be this year but no rumours or details yet.
Sep 7, 2006
998 posts
705 upvotes
I'd avoid the tube shield altogether. Forget this device if you plan on using it as a Plex media server and/or an emulator. The 8gb on board memory is very low if you plan to have apps/media stored on it you'd max out easily. The design makes it hard for heat to dissipate and people have been having issues with 4k high bitrate content. Finally the tube tv only uses 32 bit apps and not 64. I'd tell anyone buying a shield to go with the pro version and never the tube. There's probably better bang for buck devices out there vs the tube shield.
Last edited by IceCreamGee on May 12th, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 18, 2007
115 posts
56 upvotes
Ottawa
ManCaveGamer wrote: Any deals on the pro version?

worth it for the AI 4K upscaling alone, which is still not available anywhere else except Shield. not even on Windows yet
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/26/2140 ... -customize
Looks like the Pro is $214.99, which seems like a pretty good price as well. So maybe PM opportunities.
https://www.techcitycanada.ca/index.php ... dia+shield
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1523 posts
749 upvotes
GTA
IceCreamGee wrote: I'd avoid the tube shield if you plan on using it as a Plex media server and an emulator. The 8gb on board memory is very low if you plan to have apps/media stored on it you'd max out easily. The design makes it hard for heat to dissipate and people have been having issues with 4k high bitrate content. Finally the tube tv only uses 32 bit apps and not 64. I'd tell anyone buying a shield to go with the pro version and never the tube. There probably better bang for buck devices out there vs the tube shield.
Couldn't have said it better, Go for the 2019 PRO or 2017 Shield
The tube is garbage <- get a firestick 4k instead

Hoping to get rid of my shield, if the xbox audio passthrough update works
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2174 posts
1687 upvotes
GTA
IceCreamGee wrote: I'd avoid the tube shield if you plan on using it as a Plex media server and an emulator. The 8gb on board memory is very low if you plan to have apps/media stored on it you'd max out easily. The design makes it hard for heat to dissipate and people have been having issues with 4k high bitrate content. Finally the tube tv only uses 32 bit apps and not 64. I'd tell anyone buying a shield to go with the pro version and never the tube. There probably better bang for buck devices out there vs the tube shield.
GSpeed wrote:
Couldn't have said it better, Go for the 2019 PRO or 2017 Shield

You guys beat me to it, I just came to the thread to:
- Upvote :) Always grateful to Ops for posting deals.
- But also warn about the tube being a bad one for Plex streaming.

Works well for other stuff like regular apps, StbEmu (IPTV) and excellent upscaling. But another flaw is the Youtube cant do HDR (the vp09 codec that's needed for HDR is not supported).
Jun 17, 2019
107 posts
123 upvotes
Skip the shield tube and get the pro is my advice, the tube can be laggy, no issues at all with the pro.
Nov 1, 2016
247 posts
62 upvotes
Best Buy is not price matching due to no model number on the website.
Jul 21, 2013
810 posts
514 upvotes
Calgary
ADRiiAN` wrote: Dang that’s a good price.

I am holding out until the next version of the shield, which should be this year but no rumours or details yet.
They discontinued the chipset that's currently used in the Shield, I've seen more countries doing sales on the Shield now, probably NVidia getting rid of them and announcing a new one soon.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9872 posts
4614 upvotes
Toronto
is that store open for pickups? anyone go to the Gerrard Square location to actually pick it up? I picked up a harddrive from there once, before lockdown
Jul 2, 2014
53 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto, ON
THanks OP
I just pricematched at BestBuy
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4880 posts
4746 upvotes
Toronto
velo2k wrote: THanks OP
I just pricematched at BestBuy
Did Best Buy ask you for the model number on TechCity's website?

irfan1729 wrote: Best Buy is not price matching due to no model number on the website.
Jul 2, 2014
53 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They just wanted to confirm that TechCity is a storefront (gave them the 2 addresses), that it was new in box, not refurb, currently on sale.
That was it.
They said it would be refunded in 3-5 business days.
Jul 2, 2014
53 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just to clarify, I bought the Shield Pro.
Sep 7, 2006
998 posts
705 upvotes
GSpeed wrote: Couldn't have said it better, Go for the 2019 PRO or 2017 Shield

If this bring the Xbox to work on passthrough via OS level and not app then it's a big game changer. One could say the Xbox might be the better media player/entertainment device if that's the case.
Nov 1, 2016
247 posts
62 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Did Best Buy ask you for the model number on TechCity's website?
Yes it did. Best Buy said they need same model number and were unable to do price match for me. I called them again but no dice.
Last edited by irfan1729 on May 12th, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 14, 2006
726 posts
809 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
IceCreamGee wrote: If this bring the Xbox to work on passthrough via OS level and not app then it's a big game changer. One could say the Xbox might be the better media player/entertainment device if that's the case.
If we are comparing a series X to a 2015 shield, it's no comparison IMO. The Xbox looks way prettier i'll admit but the functionality esp with hdr/4K/7.1/interlaced OTA the shield simply murders it regarding compatibility and smooth payback. I thought with the power of the series X the shield would be redundant. Nope, 6 years now still not going anywhere.