Teen cell phone plan - texting, some data

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2019 1:12 am
[OP]
Dec 16, 2009
115 posts
21 upvotes

Teen cell phone plan - texting, some data

I'm looking for a plan for my child. We already have an old iPhone for her. She will need to text a fair amount and also have the ability to use voice occasionally (it could cost $5/min).

My other child has an iphone and while her plan includes unlimited texts she never uses any in a month because the iMessage seems to send it through data (and I guess every single person she knows has an iphone). So I'm wondering if there is a plan that would include some amount of data and pay-per-use texting and voice.

Otherwise it looks like it is between PM $15/mo plan, Koodo $15/mo plan, Freedom $9/mo (although some data would be good so she could check for bus schedules etc.)

Any recommendations/suggestions??
7 replies
Mar 26, 2019
170 posts
56 upvotes
miquelonlake wrote: I'm looking for a plan for my child. We already have an old iPhone for her. She will need to text a fair amount and also have the ability to use voice occasionally (it could cost $5/min).

My other child has an iphone and while her plan includes unlimited texts she never uses any in a month because the iMessage seems to send it through data (and I guess every single person she knows has an iphone). So I'm wondering if there is a plan that would include some amount of data and pay-per-use texting and voice.

Otherwise it looks like it is between PM $15/mo plan, Koodo $15/mo plan, Freedom $9/mo (although some data would be good so she could check for bus schedules etc.)

Any recommendations/suggestions??
Where are you located? Ontario?
[OP]
Dec 16, 2009
115 posts
21 upvotes
o0vL wrote: You for got about PM $23 1gb autopay plan
Yes, I suppose the 250 MB on the $15 PM plan wouldn't last very long when checking Google Maps to see where the bus is...
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2226 posts
372 upvotes
Торонто
see how far the 250mb takes her and if its not enough then you can always change to 1GB after
[OP]
Dec 16, 2009
115 posts
21 upvotes
o0vL wrote: see how far the 250mb takes her and if its not enough then you can always change to 1GB after
Thanks, I'll do that. I guess after the back-to-school deals there will be the Black Friday deals and I can change it then if I need to.
Feb 20, 2019
63 posts
75 upvotes
miquelonlake wrote: Thanks, I'll do that. I guess after the back-to-school deals there will be the Black Friday deals and I can change it then if I need to.
Make sure she downloads offline maps on Google Maps and whatever else on whatever app that can be downloaded offline. I think the Freedom 250mb might be too low but if it's just for bus schedules it should be fine.