• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 10:08 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2012
21 posts
11 upvotes

Teeter Tottering between Android & iOS

Hi everyone,

I've had an Android ever since the launch of smartphones. I've played with iOS a handful of times, and even had an iPhone 7 Plus for a day (gasp! I know, right?) before I sold it.

I'm really interested in the iPhone 11 and am currently using a Samsung S9+.
I've maybe been between Sony, Samsung and Xiaomi. I have to say, I hate Samsung the most, and I've had the S1, S2, S3, Note 4, and S9+. The Samsung bloatware ecosystem--Bixby, Touchwiz, their crappy Tizen watches are not something I want.

Anyways, I want to know if I'll be able to live with iOS and want some assurance. LOL!
  • I love PowerAmp as a music player, it's fully customization with equalizers, playlists, lyrics, etc. How far has Apple come with the stock player, or is there something similar to PowerAmp at this point in time, that has many options and is visually pleasing?
  • File control. How does moving files--documents, photos, downloads, etc. work?
  • Is there some kind of File Explorer thing, or is it all defaulted to go somewhere and just stays there?
  • How do you feel about the lack of a fingerprint sensor?
    Sometimes I purchase things while lying in bed at night which requires additional authentication and the fingerprint sensor works really well.
  • Any thoughts on the lack of an always on display?
    I found this feature great for notifications and to quickly check the time without fidgeting with my phone during meetings or just at dinner.

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by ichigoichi3 on Dec 4th, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1558 posts
758 upvotes
Check hereOP, some of your questions & concerns might have been answered already.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2012
21 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks jay-em, but it doesn't really answer any of my specific questions other than the lack of a "fie explorer".
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1213 posts
321 upvotes
Antarctica
There are apps like foobar2000 and neutron music player on iOS which are quite heavily recommended by others.

iOS files app or other options can mitigate some of the issues you may encounter if you use the file manager a lot in android but personally I find them just acceptable compromises so you will have to live with it. Apps can share data around but again it's not as freely shared as in android.

Fingerprint sensor will be replaced by face unlock for purchases. You will have to get used to it. Then again android flagships in future might just drop it too as Google just did for the pixel 4.

No comment on the always on stuff.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31196 posts
5422 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ichigoichi3 wrote:
  • I love PowerAmp as a music player, it's fully customization with equalizers, playlists, lyrics, etc. How far has Apple come with the stock player, or is there something similar to PowerAmp at this point in time, that has many options and is visually pleasing?
  • Is there some kind of File Explorer thing, or is it all defaulted to go somewhere and just stays there?
    Sometimes I purchase things while lying in bed at night which requires additional authentication and the fingerprint sensor works really well.
    I found this feature great for notifications and to quickly check the time without fidgeting with my phone during meetings or just at dinner.
Can't really comment on the Apple Music Player, but there are a ton of other apps that plays music and I am sure that you will find one that you like. There is just one problem. You need to find only one. If you use multiple players, you will need to copy your music library for each and every program you install.

File Control still sucks compared to Android, there is nothing compared to Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer. The closest I found is FileBrowser Biz and it is limited to photos and perhaps some documents. There are no such thing as downloads on iOS

There is a Files app on iOS but it is very limited. The way iOS works. Each app is installed in its own container (jail). The apps are not aware of each other. You cannot look from one jail cell into another jail cell. That is why you cannot share your music library between programs. Safari doesn't really allow you to download files. Not sure if you can do so with a browser like Chrome. If you can, it will be downloaded within the Chrome jail and not accessible by other programs like File Browsers. The exception is photos (Camera Roll). That seems to be stored in an area accessible by any program

Face ID works really well, better than a finger print. You can still make purchases with Face ID

Not sure why you would want an always on display. A quick tap on the screen will wake up the phone, staring at it would unlock it. You will see notifications and time with the tap
Last edited by Gee on Dec 6th, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2012
21 posts
11 upvotes
Gee wrote: Can't really comment on the Apple Music Player, but there are a ton of other apps that plays music and I am sure that you will find one that you like. There is just one problem. You need to find only one. If you use multiple players, you will need to copy your music library for each and every program you install.

File Control still sucks compared to Android, there is nothing compared to Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer. The closest I found is FileBrowser Biz and it limited to photos and perhaps some documents. There are no such thing as downloads on iOS

There is a Files app on iOS but it is very limited. The way iOS works. Each app is installed in its own container (jail). The apps are not aware of each other. You cannot look from one jail cell into another jail cell. That is why you cannot share your music library between programs. Safari doesn't really allow you to download files. Not sure if you can do so with a browser like Chrome. If you can, it will be downloaded within the Chrome jail and not accessible by other programs like File Browsers. The exception is photos (Camera Roll). That seems to be stored in an area accessible by any program

Face ID works really well, better than a finger print. You can still make purchases with Face ID

Not sure why you would want an always on display. A quick tap on the screen will wake up the phone, staring at it would unlock it. You will see notifications and time with the tap
Thanks for the insight, the jail concept seems pretty limiting..
But anyways, always on display is good, I mean why else would they slap it onto their newest Watch?
You can see the time and any app notifications if your phone is sitting across the room without touching it or being right in front of it?
Like you could see the time in the middle of the night without physically picking up the phone?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31196 posts
5422 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ichigoichi3 wrote: Thanks for the insight, the jail concept seems pretty limiting..
But anyways, always on display is good, I mean why else would they slap it onto their newest Watch?
Why do you think they call it jailbreaking?

A watch always needs to be on. Defeats the purpose if it is off. But a phone constantly being on is just draining the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6424 posts
2862 upvotes
Alberta
ichigoichi3 wrote: Hi everyone,

I've had an Android ever since the launch of smartphones. I've played with iOS a handful of times, and even had an iPhone 7 Plus for a day (gasp! I know, right?) before I sold it.

I've maybe been between Sony, Samsung and Xiaomi. I have to say, I hate Samsung the most, and I've had the S1, S2, S3, Note 4, and S9+. The Samsung bloatware ecosystem--Bixby, Touchwiz, their crappy Tizen watches are not something I want.

Anyways, I want to know if I'll be able to live with iOS and want some assurance. LOL!

Thanks everyone!
Sounds like you already made up your mind on IOS.
Oct 7, 2017
552 posts
645 upvotes
Gee wrote: Why do you think they call it jailbreaking?

A watch always needs to be on. Defeats the purpose if it is off. But a phone constantly being on is just draining the battery.
It’s called sand boxing and is actually a good idea to avoid apps accessing data they shouldn’t be accessing. With iOS 13 there are basically zero reasons to jailbreak unless you need unsanctioned apps (which you can do without jailbreaking now) or small tweaks. The files app negates any major negatives with file sharing between apps now. I’m a guy who used to always jailbreak but Apple has slowly but surely added in every little feature I’ve possibly wanted.
Oct 7, 2017
552 posts
645 upvotes
ichigoichi3 wrote: Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!
- I don’t know anything about PowerAmp and I’m a Spotify guy (though I hate their lack of lyrics and might switch to Apple Music subscription on) so I can’t help you there. I doubt you’ll get things like lyrics with stock Apple Music app though. Only with Apple Music plan.

- the iOS 13 file app is great. But if you want to take it a step further I’d also look into the File Explorer app (blue icon with FE logo). I love it. Can transfer files over wifi, FTP, etc pretty much every major service.

- lack of fingerprint hasn’t bothered me and in fact I now prefer it. I use it in bed too and no problems. Works perfectly in the dark it’s all quite amazing honestly.

- the last one is going to be your personal preference. I think if you’re that fidgety about the time and needing to know it constantly that’s a you thing and you’ll have to decide if you can live without that. Personally I wasn’t a fan of my always on S9 but that’s just me.

I think if these are your major hang ups you’re in a good spot to switch if you want to. I think iOS excels at a lot and if these are your sticking points for Android you’ll like iOS for all of the stuff you’ll gain.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31196 posts
5422 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ClarkZuckerberg wrote: It’s called sand boxing and is actually a good idea to avoid apps accessing data they shouldn’t be accessing. With iOS 13 there are basically zero reasons to jailbreak unless you need unsanctioned apps (which you can do without jailbreaking now) or small tweaks. The files app negates any major negatives with file sharing between apps now. I’m a guy who used to always jailbreak but Apple has slowly but surely added in every little feature I’ve possibly wanted.
Yes it is sand boxing. Works great if you don’t tinker. If you want access to the file system. Not so good.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1213 posts
321 upvotes
Antarctica
I don't know if iOS13 has made file sharing better, may be ill check it in SO's phone.

On my android phone and tablet I tend to save browser pages written as free tutorials on a lot of subjects and also videos posted online/on YouTube by non-profit places. It's so much easier to just download everything in a central download/media folder and just launch it on my app of choice. Same with books (I buy Kindle books but de-drm them because I don't want to be limited to the Kindle app or Amazon's blessed devices to read bought items ffs).

On iOS I always had issues doing this and even if some apps allowed sharing through their limited share sheets, it would create a copy of the same files in that app's sandbox wasting space. Now I have two videos instead of one being shared.

That clunkiness still existed in 12.4 iirc. Infact the limited sharing of stuff between apps and a less neutered files app is why I fail to switch to iOS every single time. I don't root, modify ROMs, or even customize my home screen on my pixel but things like the above are what make android so nice. (That plus a few minor things like macdroid which is superior to IFTTT and YouTube Vanced but OP didn't ask for that so can be scratched off for this thread).