Toronto, ON

Skilsaw SPT99T-01 8-1/4 In. Heavy Duty Worm Drive Portable Table Saw

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
17%
Retailer:
Tegs Tools
For the ones in the market for a decent Table Saw - I found this on Tegs Tools (Hamilton).
Definitely worth looking at.

The closest Skilsaw table saw can be found on Canadian Tire - Model SPT99-11

If you currently have one, which one do you have in your shop?
One of the happiest moments in life . . .
"is when you find the courage to let go of what you can't change"
18 replies
Jul 20, 2012
195 posts
121 upvotes
Montreal
8 1/4” good for ply wood, preferred 10” one.
Feb 26, 2017
16 posts
17 upvotes
petercxc wrote: 8 1/4” good for ply wood, preferred 10” one.
You're right. But compact table saws (which this one is) are no longer sold with 10" blade, because of new safety regulations.
Last edited by sibartlett on May 11th, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2009
98 posts
84 upvotes
How does this compare to the popular dewalt portable? Can it take dado blades
Feb 26, 2017
16 posts
17 upvotes
warpee wrote: How does this compare to the popular dewalt portable? Can it take dado blades
The compact dewalt can't do dado, so I would guess this compact table saw also can not. For dado you probably want to be looking at the full-size portable saws.
Oct 31, 2013
635 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
sibartlett wrote: You're right. But compact table saws (which this one is) are no longer sold with 10" blade, because of new safety regulations.
Is there new regulation for table saws ? I was wondering why I can't find the same DeWalt 10 inches model I have
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Feb 26, 2017
16 posts
17 upvotes
psxcheater wrote: Is there new regulation for table saws ? I was wondering why I can't find the same DeWalt 10 inches model I have
Updates to UL 62841-3-1 went into effect August 2019 and requires a specific ratio of blade height to table size and spacing from the blade.

This means we will being seeing a lot more smaller blades on compact tables or bigger overall table job site 10″ saws.
Oct 31, 2013
635 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
sibartlett wrote: Updates to UL 62841-3-1 went into effect August 2019 and requires a specific ratio of blade height to table size and spacing from the blade.

This means we will being seeing a lot more smaller blades on compact tables or bigger overall table job site 10″ saws.
Thanks! I was wondering why there was no 10in compact table saws. Either way, I have a 10in saw blade, I'm considering to swap it to 8in or 7 1/4in to have more power available.
Nov 14, 2006
435 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
psxcheater wrote: Thanks! I was wondering why there was no 10in compact table saws. Either way, I have a 10in saw blade, I'm considering to swap it to 8in or 7 1/4in to have more power available.
Why not just install a smaller blade like 7 1/4” on a 10” TS?
Oct 31, 2013
635 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
cchenzz wrote: Why not just install a smaller blade like 7 1/4” on a 10” TS?
Sorry, that's what I wanted to say. I am swapping the blade to a good quality 7 1/4.
Nov 14, 2006
435 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
psxcheater wrote: Sorry, that's what I wanted to say. I am swapping the blade to a good quality 7 1/4.
That makes sense. That is what I am planning to do with my DeWalt 7480. The 7 1/4” blades are also cheaper...
Feb 26, 2017
16 posts
17 upvotes
psxcheater wrote: Sorry, that's what I wanted to say. I am swapping the blade to a good quality 7 1/4.
cchenzz wrote: That makes sense. That is what I am planning to do with my DeWalt 7480. The 7 1/4” blades are also cheaper...
Just a thing to note - the newer compact table saws run at a faster RPM to compensate for the smaller blade.

DeWalt 10" compact (DWE7480) runs at 4800 RPM.
DeWalt 8 1/4" compact (DWE7485) runs at 5800 RPM.

Generally, smaller blades are designed to rotate at a higher RPM - so you might be doing yourself a disservice by putting a smaller blade on a 10" table saw.
Oct 31, 2013
635 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
cchenzz wrote: That makes sense. That is what I am planning to do with my DeWalt 7480. The 7 1/4” blades are also cheaper...
I got the same table saw model, it's perfect for my hobby, only the tracks are not exactly 3/4" all along.
sibartlett wrote: Just a thing to note - the newer compact table saws run at a faster RPM to compensate for the smaller blade.

Generally, smaller blades are designed to rotate at a higher RPM - so you might be doing yourself a disservice by putting a smaller blade on a 10" table saw.
Good thing to note! Thanks for that.

I recall watching woodworkweb on YouTube saying that a smaller blade would help on the power delivery of the table saw.
Nov 14, 2006
435 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
psxcheater wrote: I got the same table saw model, it's perfect for my hobby, only the tracks are not exactly 3/4" all along.

Good thing to note! Thanks for that.

I recall watching woodworkweb on YouTube saying that a smaller blade would help on the power delivery of the table saw.
Assuming same quality of motor, constant motor output (rotation fixed at 4800 rpm or 5800 rpm) driving a lighter load (smaller/lighter blade) will allow for better “power delivery”. A thinner kerf blade also improves the cut similarly - less wood to chip out. Faster rpm (the newer model) does improve the speed of the cut but not torque/power output.

If you are not thrilled with the 7480 TS tracks, first thing to do is not use the free accessory mitre gauge - the runner is too short and introduces slushing. I made a mistake of buying a fancy INCRA mitre gauge only to find it too long for pieces (or the short distance front of the saw blade to the front of the table) when balancing the heavier mitre gauge and work piece. Instead built a simple cross cut sled running on both tracks (picture below - also shows the INCRA on the right) weight balanced to avoid tipping on wider pieces. For a rip cut, the rack and pinion fence is still the go-to, which does not rely on T-tracks.
Images
  • 1A0CC9C2-5A59-4088-869F-72C1D6E3D70F.jpeg
Oct 31, 2013
635 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
cchenzz wrote: Assuming same quality of motor, constant motor output (rotation fixed at 4800 rpm or 5800 rpm) driving a lighter load (smaller/lighter blade) will allow for better “power delivery”. A thinner kerf blade also improves the cut similarly - less wood to chip out. Faster rpm (the newer model) does improve the speed of the cut but not torque/power output.

If you are not thrilled with the 7480 TS tracks, first thing to do is not use the free accessory mitre gauge - the runner is too short and introduces slushing. I made a mistake of buying a fancy INCRA mitre gauge only to find it too long for pieces (or the short distance front of the saw blade to the front of the table) when balancing the heavier mitre gauge and work piece. Instead built a simple cross cut sled running on both tracks (picture below - also shows the INCRA on the right) weight balanced to avoid tipping on wider pieces. For a rip cut, the rack and pinion fence is still the go-to, which does not rely on T-tracks.
A thinner kerf blade is on my shopping list! Thanks for the detailed observation!

I tried the free miter gauge and it's garbage. Doesn't even have slots on the front to fasten some screws, it's well hidden in the back which doesn't make sense, on top of that it's all wobbly. I just kept it because I was thinking of selling the table saw but not anymore.

I am struggling a little bit with the crosscut sled because the left t track seems to be not squared, it's like it's a little bit wider than 3/4 inch at the start and closes to 3/4 in the middle. Every piece of wood I've cut offs either too loose or tight.

The t track on the right side is perfect.

I agree. The pinion and rack fence is amazing, it's precise and locks into place every single time with no movement at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1412 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
warpee wrote: How does this compare to the popular dewalt portable? Can it take dado blades
This model of the SkilSaw can take Dado blades, but it needs that Dado Top plates - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Q3J89GQ/ref ... T8JQTDRDVK
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1412 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sibartlett wrote: Just a thing to note - the newer compact table saws run at a faster RPM to compensate for the smaller blade.

These are great info, but I am wondering if the unit is still stable since most of the parts are made out of enhanced plastic. Does the Dewalt (or Ridgid) model rattles when it's used?
<Asking input to the ones who has a Table Saw>
Feb 26, 2017
16 posts
17 upvotes
gerbil wrote: These are great info, but I am wondering if the unit is still stable since most of the parts are made out of enhanced plastic. Does the Dewalt (or Ridgid) model rattles when it's used?
<Asking input to the ones who has a Table Saw>
I have DeWalt's compact table saw. It's pretty heavy at 53 lbs, and the frame and table are metal. Can't say I noticed it rattling, but it's been six months since I used it and I currently have it in storage as I'm in the middle of a move.