• Nov 18th, 2017 6:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes

Teksavvy cable Internet consistently slow from 7PM - 11PM

Good day. I'm in Toronto, and I have the Teksavvy cable Internet 30Mbps/150GB cap plan. It was fine up until a couple of months ago when I noticed a major slow down from 7PM - 11PM. The Speedtest.net results during those hours are consistently 2Mbps download and 1.5Mbps upload. There's no problem with the router I use, or the cable modem as the connection speed ramps right back up outside of those hours. So, my question is - can anyone offer their insight on the services of Start.ca, Ebox, etc? Do their services hit the wall in the evening too? TIA.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3663 posts
731 upvotes
Kingston
I am with Start and I don't have any issues with them in terms of slow downs or congestion issues. Since you are on cable, it's more than likely a congestion issue with everyone that is on that particular remote or server vs it being on Teksavvy. I would call in and file a ticket and see what they can do for you. All they will say is that they will send a ticket off to whomever owns the lines (Rogers/Cogeco/etc) and hopefully it gets resolved.

Have you asked others that aren't with Teksavvy what their speeds are like on cable? If they are getting the same speeds as you, but aren't with Teksavvy, that tells me all I need to know as the issue isn't with Teksavvy but with Rogers/Cogeco/etc. If they are getting their advertised speeds, then the issue is with Teksavvy.
Aug 25, 2008
599 posts
45 upvotes
I'm not in your area, I live in Ottawa, but I've been a customer of Start.ca for a few years now and have never looked back. I have a legacy plan, 25/2 150GB for 39.99 (unlimited between 2-8am and uploading does not count towards transfer cap).

Zero outages, zero slowdowns, for YEARS - I recommend them to everyone and anyone. Based in London or Guelph, I think - billing is accurate, customer service off the wall - great company.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
Yup. Consistent performance, or lack thereof. When I decided to post here to RFD it was just 9PM and Speedtest reported a download of 2Mbps. After 10:30PM Speedtest gave me a result of almost 6Mbps. Now that the time is 11:05PM the result from Speedtest is 11Mbps down/5Mbps up. It only gets better from here until tomorrow evening. Thankfully the pathetic performance doesn't happen during the day as I telecommute from home.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1553 posts
137 upvotes
Cable does have a finite bandwidth locally, so if a large number of customers using the Rogers lines it could exhaust the local bandwidth.

Another possibility, are you using wireless? If so you should verify with ethernet first, its possible you have local interference (e.g. many other wifi routers locally)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3545 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto, ON
luthair wrote: Cable does have a finite bandwidth locally, so if a large number of customers using the Rogers lines it could exhaust the local bandwidth.

Another possibility, are you using wireless? If so you should verify with ethernet first, its possible you have local interference (e.g. many other wifi routers locally)
But OP said it happened constantly between certain hours, so I wouldn't take the wireless interference into consideration. It definitely looks like congestion issue, or more people in your neighbourhood are changing to Rogers cable and that's obviously been shared. Number one reason I refused to change my ISP, from Bell to Rogers. I've been a happy camper with Bell for quite some time now, and would never go anywhere else. Consider getting DSL or Fibe Internet.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
@luthair Yes, I understand that cable has a finite bandwidth. However, each cable run is brought back to a local box, and that box is most likely serviced by a fiber line. The fiber connection probably services about 500 homes, not all of which will be cable subscribers. The cable that I am using is not shared by anyone else, rather the fiber optic circuit is shared by the other subscribers. I don't know what speed the fiber is at, perhaps 1Gbps or 10Gbps, which would seem reasonable since the cable providers couldn't offer 100Mbps cable connections if the upstream circuit couldn't support it.

No, this is not a WiFi problem. I always speed test over copper (CAT5e). Plus I monitor my WiFi channels to ensure that they don't overlap with the neighbours, and for that matter where I live there aren't many other broadcasting WiFi signals.

Anyways, my point is I don't think that the fiber circuit is overloaded, rather I wonder if Teksavvy's network bandwidth for my area is overloaded? I suspect that Teksavvy will only pay Rogers for the bandwidth that they require for each zone, and as companies are prone to undercut to save a few bucks, the consumer gets dodgy service.
Banned
Jan 10, 2012
158 posts
54 upvotes
LONGUEUIL
voidmain wrote: Good day. I'm in Toronto, and I have the Teksavvy cable Internet 30Mbps/150GB cap plan. It was fine up until a couple of months ago when I noticed a major slow down from 7PM - 11PM. The Speedtest.net results during those hours are consistently 2Mbps download and 1.5Mbps upload. There's no problem with the router I use, or the cable modem as the connection speed ramps right back up outside of those hours. So, my question is - can anyone offer their insight on the services of Start.ca, Ebox, etc? Do their services hit the wall in the evening too? TIA.
We don't have congestion at EBOX. Consistent speed even at peak hours. We make sure to order enough capacity so you don't see any slowdown on any of our platform (DSL, R-Cable, C-Cable, V-Cable etc..)
[OP]
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
eboxdiskace wrote: We don't have congestion at EBOX. Consistent speed even at peak hours. We make sure to order enough capacity so you don't see any slowdown on any of our platform (DSL, R-Cable, C-Cable, V-Cable etc..)
I'm glad to read that, and thanks for chiming in on this thread. However, you do have to forgive me for being skeptical since you are clearly biased being a representative of EBox. I would like to read the comments of EBox customers.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11544 posts
2543 upvotes
Montreal
Go check out their official forum
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

They even have a "Techsavvy direct" forum (Check the tabs at the top left of the forum frame) where you can post tech support requests that are only visible to teksavvy employees.

However, your case, it is probably generalized to everyone in your area.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3545 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto, ON
voidmain wrote: @luthair Yes, I understand that cable has a finite bandwidth. However, each cable run is brought back to a local box, and that box is most likely serviced by a fiber line. The fiber connection probably services about 500 homes, not all of which will be cable subscribers. The cable that I am using is not shared by anyone else, rather the fiber optic circuit is shared by the other subscribers. I don't know what speed the fiber is at, perhaps 1Gbps or 10Gbps, which would seem reasonable since the cable providers couldn't offer 100Mbps cable connections if the upstream circuit couldn't support it.

No, this is not a WiFi problem. I always speed test over copper (CAT5e). Plus I monitor my WiFi channels to ensure that they don't overlap with the neighbours, and for that matter where I live there aren't many other broadcasting WiFi signals.

Anyways, my point is I don't think that the fiber circuit is overloaded, rather I wonder if Teksavvy's network bandwidth for my area is overloaded? I suspect that Teksavvy will only pay Rogers for the bandwidth that they require for each zone, and as companies are prone to undercut to save a few bucks, the consumer gets dodgy service.
You've mentioned you have 150 gb usage per month, so have you checked maybe your using up a little too much of your bandwidth and now TekSavvy are throttling your service??
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
lamboman wrote: You've mentioned you have 150 gb usage per month, so have you checked maybe your using up a little too much of your bandwidth and now TekSavvy are throttling your service??
I don't even come close to the 150GB cap. My monthly average is 80GB.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
I'm on DSL and can blow through my 400G cap in a few weeks, terribly fast.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
I will go through Teksavvy's instructions to verify the signal strength of the modem, and I will do so during the fast and slow periods and then submit the results to them. I know it's not the modem as I have already reviewed the signal strength, but I have to follow their procedures before they will do anything else. In the end, if they want to keep me as a customer then they can fork out more money to Rogers to carve out more bandwidth for them in my area. If not, then I guess I'm off to either Start or EBox, based on whoever can offer the cheapest service transfer fee.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
ah802 wrote: I'm on DSL and can blow through my 400G cap in a few weeks, terribly fast.
I have no doubt that a lot of people consume bandwidth like air. Personally, I use the Internet for work, and browsing and neither activity inhales data.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3250 posts
1796 upvotes
Burlington
I live in Hamilton and I've had this happen to me before. It lasted a few weeks and then never happened again. Something to do with region issues, but they just blamed Cogeco.

In any case that was a rare two week blip in the 4 years I've had teksavvy. Forced me to go outside and do something productive with my time instead of watching Netflix.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3545 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dpack22 wrote: I live in Hamilton and I've had this happen to me before. It lasted a few weeks and then never happened again. Something to do with region issues, but they just blamed Cogeco.

In any case that was a rare two week blip in the 4 years I've had teksavvy. Forced me to go outside and do something productive with my time instead of watching Netflix.
What's more productive then "Netflix and chill" lol
Jan 15, 2010
535 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Could it be possible that your account could have Zap the Cap enabled? I don't know if they still have that so maybe it could be a legacy setting left on or something like that but it is a feature that would slowdown your internet between 8-12pm in exchange for unlimited bandwidth.
Sep 26, 2010
903 posts
171 upvotes
Maharg wrote: I'm not in your area, I live in Ottawa, but I've been a customer of Start.ca for a few years now and have never looked back. I have a legacy plan, 25/2 150GB for 39.99 (unlimited between 2-8am and uploading does not count towards transfer cap).

Zero outages, zero slowdowns, for YEARS - I recommend them to everyone and anyone. Based in London or Guelph, I think - billing is accurate, customer service off the wall - great company.
I can vouch for Start's reliability in Toronto. Probably my favorite company in Canada :)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1818 posts
661 upvotes
Elgin, ON
catpurrcat wrote: I can vouch for Start's reliability in Toronto. Probably my favorite company in Canada :)
I have Start DSL in St. Catharines. I have experienced a few slowdowns, where the internet gets extremely slow, but not totally disconnected. It's happened a few times, but only for short periods of time, like <15 minutes or so.