Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] TekSavvy Express/Extreme Cable Internet Starter Kit $99.95/$129.95 @ CC

  • Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2012 10:50 am
[OP]
Member
Jan 11, 2008
443 posts
54 upvotes

[Canada Computers] TekSavvy Express/Extreme Cable Internet Starter Kit $99.95/$129.95 @ CC

CC already has this for Teksavvy DSL service. This time is for their cable service. For $99.95 you get a DCM425 modem, one month express cable service 12/0.5 free, and free activation fee. Good deal?
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info ... _id=039260

The new kit now comes with DCM475 modem (DOCSIS 3.0) for $129.95, one month extreme cable service 24/1, free activation fee
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info ... _id=042556

For those who are interested, below is the link of their dsl starter kit
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=031571
848 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2005
2339 posts
250 upvotes
It's not bad but not great. Basically, they are giving you a free month of service for free. Because ordinarily, the modem costs $99 and if you buy it from them, they will eat the $50 activation fee that they have to pay Rogers. So, as I said, you're basically getting a month free in comparison to phoning them up and telling them you want their service. Which, by the way, is leaps and bounds better than Rogers.

Oh, I should also note that the $99 modem you get from Tek directly for $99 is their higher end Motorola Docsis 3.0 version. I'm pretty sure the one in this bundle is a somewhat lesser 2.0 version that they sell for $79. I could be wrong on that though. So really, you're basically getting a free month of service that is discounted by $20 anyway, when you think about it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1620 posts
683 upvotes
Mississauga
Its actually a pretty good deal. It comes down to this:

Ordering directly from them:
$99 modem + 24.95 activation + 10 shipping + 42.95 first month = $177 + tax = ~$200
(you get a better modem)

From CC:
$99 + tax (first month + lower quality modem + no activation fee + no shipping) = $113.
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
It's a good deal, but they really should add another package that has a Docsis 3 modem for people that want the channel bonding to help with node congestion and future proof themselves.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 4, 2002
3050 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
althoma1 wrote: It's a good deal, but they really should add another package that has a Docsis 3 modem for people that want the channel bonding to help with node congestion and future proof themselves.

+1

Although, I think I will probably buy the DCM475 and then sell off my DCM425 from the starter kit once I know I am sticking with their cable service.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2005
2339 posts
250 upvotes
hackoder wrote: Its actually a pretty good deal. It comes down to this:

Ordering directly from them:
$99 modem + 24.95 activation + 10 shipping + 42.95 first month = $177 + tax = ~$200
(you get a better modem)

From CC:
$99 + tax (first month + lower quality modem + no activation fee + no shipping) = $113.

Sounds right. But if you buy the modem from them, they will waive the activation charge. So it's $151.95 + tax = $171.70. So essentially, you're paying $58 for a better modem.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 13, 2004
1057 posts
446 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Enjoy 1 free month of service with activation of a new account and purchase of this product. This offer is not available to existing TekSavvy Customers. Teksavvy reserves the right to cancel the one (1) month free service offer if the modem kit is returned within the first 30 days.
So you can't use this to go from TekSavvy DSL to cable?
#melnykout
Member
Apr 21, 2010
276 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
robster77 wrote: Sounds right. But if you buy the modem from them, they will waive the activation charge. So it's $151.95 + tax = $171.70. So essentially, you're paying $58 for a better modem.

BUt the 24.95 is the activation discount. Normally it's 44.95... unless there's a new deal and they're waiving the whole activation fee?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1620 posts
683 upvotes
Mississauga
robster77 wrote: Sounds right. But if you buy the modem from them, they will waive the activation charge. So it's $151.95 + tax = $171.70. So essentially, you're paying $58 for a better modem.

This is actually with the waived activation charge. Normally activation is 44.95 but decreases to 24.95 if you buy the modem from them. So you are paying roughly $87 (200 - 113) for the modem.
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2009
568 posts
73 upvotes
hackoder wrote: Its actually a pretty good deal. It comes down to this:

Ordering directly from them:
$99 modem + 24.95 activation + 10 shipping + 42.95 first month = $177 + tax = ~$200
(you get a better modem)

From CC:
$99 + tax (first month + lower quality modem + no activation fee + no shipping) = $113.

It is actually the extreme cable pro, which is $55 a month, so with this you save $12 more.

This is a great deal. I paid $165 + tax 3 months ago for the exact same things as in that package.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2007
4760 posts
1863 upvotes
Scarborough
chengbin wrote: It is actually the extreme cable pro, which is $55 a month, so with this you save $12 more.

Site says Extreme Cable. No mention of Pro.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2005
2339 posts
250 upvotes
hackoder wrote: This is actually with the waived activation charge. Normally activation is 44.95 but decreases to 24.95 if you buy the modem from them. So you are paying roughly $87 (200 - 113) for the modem.
Oh really? That sucks. I got the full thing waived. Paid $171 all in. If that's indeed the case these days, then the $99 package seems great.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2001
4793 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing against DCM475, but you can't get the higher end Motorola Docsis 3.0 anymore.

Which is a shame, since that's the only reason anybody want to buy the higher end $99 modem from TSI.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Moderator
User avatar
Dec 27, 2007
20640 posts
11891 upvotes
Kitchener
This is exactly why this is a "warm" deal at the best.
IMHO The whole idea behind this promo is to move the D2 modems they have, so you are the one left stuck with a D2 modem.
FYI Rogers wont allow their clients to activate D2 modems on any more than the 10 mbps plan which greatly reduces the re-sale value of any D2 modem.
If you decide later to upgrade the best price you can get for a used D2 modem is $30 locally and $20 (or less) if you place it on ebay.
The $70 upgrade (as per the calculations below) to get a D3 modem is well worth it.

hackoder wrote: Its actually a pretty good deal. It comes down to this:

Ordering directly from them:
$99 modem + 24.95 activation + 10 shipping + 42.95 first month = $177 + tax = ~$200
(you get a better modem)

From CC:
$99 + tax (first month + lower quality modem + no activation fee + no shipping) = $113.
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2009
568 posts
73 upvotes
ASharp wrote: Site says Extreme Cable. No mention of Pro.
Oops, my bad
aasoror wrote: This is exactly why this is a "warm" deal at the best.
IMHO The whole idea behind this promo is to move the D2 modems they have, so you are the one left stuck with a D2 modem.
FYI Rogers wont allow their clients to activate D2 modems on any more than the 10 mbps plan which greatly reduces the re-sale value of any D2 modem.
If you decide later to upgrade the best price you can get for a used D2 modem is $30 locally and $20 (or less) if you place it on ebay.
The $70 upgrade (as per the calculations below) to get a D3 modem is well worth it.

Could you explain more? I have this modem, and I'm on the extreme cable pro. Does that mean I'll get kicked off the 15/1Mbps service unless I upgrade to a newer modem?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)