• Aug 31st, 2020 3:25 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
2884 posts
1573 upvotes
toronto

Teksavvy raising prices by $10 Starting Oct 1

Hello,

I got an email this morning from Teksavvy stated they will raise internet prices by $10 due to a ruling in the below link.
They had raised it by $5 when covid started and now anther $10. I know they are pressured from the bigger companies, but i believe its not really fair that the customers have to pay for it especially during this time.

Does anybody know any good internet providers or deals out there?

"TekSavvy raises monthly prices, accuses Ottawa of siding with major internet carriers"
https://globalnews.ca/news/7287538/teks ... ices-crtc/
64 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
Teksavvy is increasing their internet prices, just got email from TSI. It is getting expensive. I will continue supporting their cause.

Starting with your first billing cycle with an effective date of service on or after October 1, 2020 there will be a change to your current package with us for XXXX. Your current package 150 Mbps with Unlimited GB of usage at a monthly cost of $67.95 will be invoiced at $77.95. Your package speed and monthly usage will not change.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1472 posts
2777 upvotes
Ontario
chrisanthony14 wrote: Does anybody know any good internet providers or deals out there?
They're all strong-armed into raising prices. OR you switch to Bell or Rogers and support the ones gouging us. There really is no "winning" option here.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Oh man, with the rate getting higher I may just end up switching providers. Wasn't bell and rogers supposed to allow them access to their fiber network?
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1802 posts
2840 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Zero1 wrote: Oh man, with the rate getting higher I may just end up switching providers. Wasn't bell and rogers supposed to allow them access to their fiber network?
The raise is in response of the wholesale rate increase, in which the federal government sided with Robelus. So I guess it was kind of expected, in some ways.
Dec 27, 2011
865 posts
1690 upvotes
I don't think it's a straight $10 increase across all plans.
I'm on the cheapest plan and they're increasing it by $5 (though they did already increase it by $5 when COVID started)
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Which one to switch to in order to save money? Same service and same speed? How about start.ca?
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
crystallight wrote: I don't think it's a straight $10 increase across all plans.
I'm on the cheapest plan and they're increasing it by $5 (though they did already increase it by $5 when COVID started)
They're raising the cable 5 plan by $5?
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3958 posts
5641 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is such BS, you'd think in 2020 internet would be really cheap, meanwhile they keep increasing the prices. At this rate it would be cheaper to tether my phone to all my devices cause I don't use that much internet.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: Which one to switch to in order to save money? Same service and same speed? How about start.ca?
Unless you can lock into a good deal for a longer term, you may want to wait a little and see how prices settle as some have already increased and others will follow. Wonder if big boys will try to offer good deals for newcomers to incentivise switching.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6585 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
Stay with the reseller and pay higher prices or support the evil empire for a lower cost? Like all super sugary candy, the aftertaste is jacked up prices with terrible contracts once the resellers are squashed.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10174 posts
8299 upvotes
Toronto
Completely ridiculous how everyone is enraged by a scandal with a charity, but everyone stays quiet on how the big 3 have been strongarming the acting government during a pandemic (my guess - by threatening to make all sorts of massive cuts which near certainly would trickle and damage the economy further) to go against the initial CRTC ruling from last year. What a joke. As always, the oligarchs get whatever they want.

Frankly, I'm disgusted by consumer ignorance on this issue. Even here, at RFD, so many of you don't seem to be aware (or just don't care) about the issues at play. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. What a joke that people here are legit salty at Teksavvy, as if their hand isn't being forced. Its simply impossible to get better results when ignorant consumers are unwilling to step up and demand better. How can they, when they can't grasp what is going on behind the scenes?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Aug 12, 2017
767 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga
shikotee wrote: Completely ridiculous how everyone is enraged by a scandal with a charity, but everyone stays quiet on how the big 3 have been strongarming the acting government during a pandemic (my guess - by threatening to make all sorts of massive cuts which near certainly would trickle and damage the economy further) to go against the initial CRTC ruling from last year. What a joke. As always, the oligarchs get whatever they want.

Frankly, I'm disgusted by consumer ignorance on this issue. Even here, at RFD, so many of you don't seem to be aware (or just don't care) about the issues at play. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. What a joke that people here are legit salty at Teksavvy, as if their hand isn't being forced. Its simply impossible to get better results when ignorant consumers are unwilling to step up and demand better. How can they, when they can't grasp what is going on behind the scenes?
They shouldn't be raising prices because their rates have not increased yet and nobody knows if or when this will happen.
Most likely it is due to covid-19 because office workers and students have stayed home and used more internet so Teksavvy and others had to buy a lot more bandwidth.
They don't want to blame their customers so it is easier for them to blame the government or big telcos.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
discostar wrote: They shouldn't be raising prices because their rates have not increased yet and nobody knows if or when this will happen.
Most likely it is due to covid-19 because office workers and students have stayed home and used more internet so Teksavvy and others had to buy a lot more bandwidth.
They don't want to blame their customers so it is easier for them to blame the government or big telcos.
I wouldn't be surprised if the price increases is a bit of tactic to actually raise awareness about this issue. How else would the public actually care unless it hits them in the pocket books?

Too bad they're also risking customers switching away as well but people otherwise probably don't care until it costs them money.
Feb 4, 2011
705 posts
489 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote: At this rate it would be cheaper to tether my phone to all my devices cause I don't use that much internet.
What is stopping you from doing it now?
Feb 4, 2011
705 posts
489 upvotes
chrisanthony14 wrote: Hello,

I got an email this morning from Teksavvy stated they will raise internet prices by $10 due to a ruling in the below link.
They had raised it by $5 when covid started and now anther $10. I know they are pressured from the bigger companies, but i believe its not really fair that the customers have to pay for it especially during this time.

Does anybody know any good internet providers or deals out there?

"TekSavvy raises monthly prices, accuses Ottawa of siding with major internet carriers"
https://globalnews.ca/news/7287538/teks ... ices-crtc/
If you aren't on a contract, why don't you switch to providers who gives better service and customer service

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)