• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 9:09 am
[OP]
May 22, 2015
337 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Teller refusing withdrawal of 4.5k

I was at BMO earlier today trying to withdraw 4.5K via teller- but I was denied because it was just before closing on Friday, and because of recent fraud activity, teller doesn't want to give me 4.5k in cash.

I find this very difficult to understand and frustrating because the only reason I went to see the teller was to withdraw such amount in hundred dollar bill, and they would limit my financial activity because I didn't notify them I was planning to withdraw 4.5k in advance. Eventually some other employee stepped in and told the teller to withdraw the money, but considering this was the branch where I opened my BMO account, and is the closest branch based on where I currently live, I cannot believe teller would deny withdrawing such amount.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with your teller at the bank?

What's generally the largest sum of cash that can be withdrawn via teller at your MAIN branch without a hassle?
Last edited by goodhours on Jun 16th, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
57 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto, ON
goodhours wrote: I was at BMO earlier today trying to withdraw 4.5K via teller- but I was denied because it was just before closing on Friday, and because of recent fraud activity, teller doesn't want to give me 4.5k in cash.
I'm sorry, but I don't blame them. You didn't call them ahead of time, there was previous fraud on the account, $4,500 is presumably larger than your usual ATM limit (and possibly quite a lot larger), and banks don't actually have much paper cash on them. Did you tell them why you needed $4,500 in cash (when you could normally write a cheque, do a bill payment or a point-of-sales transaction)?

It would have been worse if you were "out of town" and hadn't told the bank about that.
Has anyone else experienced this issue with your teller at the bank?

What's generally the largest sum of cash that can be withdrawn via teller at your MAIN branch without a hassle?
No to the first. The closest was when I had to write a large certified cheque, the teller simply said they're taking "all" your money (it was only one third) but did not refuse to print the cheque. To the second, it shouldn't matter whether you're going to your main branch or not, but if you take out more than your ATM limit you should expect an inquisition.
Oct 14, 2014
834 posts
918 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I almost got denied a $4,600 withdrawal at the bank (but different branch) I work for. I was in there every two weeks for smaller amounts (~1k). They did give me the $4,600 but the reason for almost denying it was cash management. They were hesitant to deplete their cash upfront
Nov 25, 2007
190 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't expected to have issue with that amount, as long as your account is in good standing, and you have ID. It is your money after all.
Sep 15, 2014
131 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cant you use what is called as ATM Machines?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4096 posts
3604 upvotes
Banks in Canada give you money back in case of fraud. I see people in Bangkok withdraw over $100,000 almost every day and you just need to show with a piece of id. Good luck getting your money back in case of fraud, though. I'd rather have Canadian system.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1779 posts
528 upvotes
Ottawa
Government do not want citizens to use cash so transsction can be tracked and taxed.
Banks love the government as they can charge user fees.
May 17, 2018
149 posts
40 upvotes
My experience is to ask in advance, just 1 day if it will be $10,000 or more, since they may have to order an extra bundle. That's what I heard from my dad way back when, and what my tellers told me a few years back....ok maybe 10 or 12 years

Never had issues with sub $5k, even at closing time. Really wanted a boat lol
[OP]
May 22, 2015
337 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FoFai2015 wrote: I'm sorry, but I don't blame them. You didn't call them ahead of time, there was previous fraud on the account, $4,500 is presumably larger than your usual ATM limit (and possibly quite a lot larger), and banks don't actually have much paper cash on them. Did you tell them why you needed $4,500 in cash (when you could normally write a cheque, do a bill payment or a point-of-sales transaction)?

It would have been worse if you were "out of town" and hadn't told the bank about that.

No to the first. The closest was when I had to write a large certified cheque, the teller simply said they're taking "all" your money (it was only one third) but did not refuse to print the cheque. To the second, it shouldn't matter whether you're going to your main branch or not, but if you take out more than your ATM limit you should expect an inquisition.
No issues with fraud before - teller didn't even bothered to ask why I needed it, and even though she said she was taking precautions b/c of fraud, didn't even bothered to ask for additional identification.
[OP]
May 22, 2015
337 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto, ON
testrav wrote: cant you use what is called as ATM Machines?
Considering ATM will only spit out $20 bills, I didn't want to be bothered with 225 bills, which I went to teller directly
[OP]
May 22, 2015
337 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto, ON
prxprx wrote: My experience is to ask in advance, just 1 day if it will be $10,000 or more, since they may have to order an extra bundle. That's what I heard from my dad way back when, and what my tellers told me a few years back....ok maybe 10 or 12 years

Never had issues with sub $5k, even at closing time. Really wanted a boat lol
Yeah, I was thinking if it was 10k or more, they would want advance notice, but for 4.5k? really?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15428 posts
13863 upvotes
Going to the Moon
goodhours wrote: Considering ATM will only spit out $20 bills, I didn't want to be bothered with 225 bills, which I went to teller directly
I don't use BMO, but some CIBC ATM's dispense $50 bills. I can call FI to allow me to raise my cash withdrawal limit temporarily to $5k afaik.

OP, as much as you have a relationship with BMO, probably good idea to open accounts with Simplii, Tangerine, your local CU and the likes. Many of these subsidiaries and credit unions allow "me to me" transfers so you can pull from BMO into other banks/CU's, then go withdraw from their ATM's. It may be a hassle to drive to a few ATM's, but it might save you time if BMO teller expects you to watch a few soap operas while waiting for approval for the larger cash withdrawal.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8575 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga
In most cases his daily limit is only $1000.00.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1125 posts
1975 upvotes
I've asked for $5k in cash at my home branch before and got it without a problem. However, best to go in the morning. They sometimes run out of 100s by 3pm. Once I was there at 4pm and a guy in front of me wanted $3k in 100s and they teller said they had run out of 100s today as there was a strong demand for them that morning, and to take the $3k in 50s or else come back tomorrow before 3pm. Or he could order the funds in advance. This was at RBC. At my BMO branch I've seen customers ask for and get amounts from $2k to $5k in 100s, both in Can$ and US$. If one wanted $250,000 to fill a briefcase I can see having to order in advance, but $5k come on, it is a bank branch they should have the cash.

Hey, everyone who watches old bank heist movies on TV knows banks always keep a few million in cash in big sacks in the vault overnight...:) (joke)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3831 posts
2645 upvotes
Kitchener
Most ATM's have a limit, depending on them, between $400 and $1000...

I needed a bunch of cash and used 17 different machines, just to get a $7,000...
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6241 posts
2987 upvotes
Kingston, ON
cf7777 wrote: Government do not want citizens to use cash so transsction can be tracked and taxed.
Banks love the government as they can charge user fees.
This has nothing to do with the government. This is risk management by the bank (& cash management, but that’s ultimately a form of risk management).
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15428 posts
13863 upvotes
Going to the Moon
UrbanPoet wrote: You'd be surprised at how little cash is actually kept in a bank branch. Most people don't understand this... but its true.
It's not surprising. Cash is risky.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3085 posts
1409 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: You'd be surprised at how little cash is actually kept in a bank branch. Most people don't understand this... but its true.
Yup. General policy is actually that they can’t guarantee that they can give you the amount of cash that you request if you are trying to withdraw anywhere around $5k without notice.

My wife used to work at a bank many moons ago and she said that they could refuse to fulfill a cash withdrawal if their manager thinks that it will leave them without enough cash for other customers.

For anything over $3k, it’s safest to call 24hrs beforehand and they will stock more cash for the next day specifically for you.
Dec 28, 2017
402 posts
175 upvotes
Burlington
Calling in advane is good, however, OP stated he went prior to closing, therefore cash management is not an issue. All banks keep extra cash in their vault (takes 15 minutes minimum go open).
The issue I think is the nature of the previous fraud. Was the OP part of the reason of the fraud?

Otherwise, OP could ask for all the 100 they have and remaining in 50s or whatever available.

If I have a clean record and teller denies my withdraw request, I would ask the manager to explain the reason why I cannot withdraw money within the banking hours. If the answer is anything outside of the ofsi regulation , I would challenge it.

Tellers need to tally their cash and file report at the end of day, but it's not end of day, hence, they must provide. . $4500 is not a large amount... all branches must have alot more than 4500 at any time of day.