None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16516 posts
2929 upvotes
GTA

[Telus] TELUS 6GB for $30 is back! Works for LTE/HSPA

Since someone made a big deal out of this being available again for Rogers, I figured Telus deserves some love too.

Yesterday when I was negotiating a new plan with Telus Retentions for my Samsung Galaxy S3, one of the first things they offered me was 6GB data for $30.

I asked if they differentiate between LTE data or HSPA data like Rogers does and she said data is data at Telus, whether you are on HSPA or LTE it is the same bucket.
47 replies
Jul 10, 2007
446 posts
375 upvotes
Edmonton
Could you give us details about your plan? How much in total did it come out to per month and how many minutes etc, etc... Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16516 posts
2929 upvotes
GTA
golfcraze wrote: Could you give us details about your plan? How much in total did it come out to per month and how many minutes etc, etc... Thanks!
you can get that sort of info in the retentions thread
this thread is for discussion of 6GB for $30?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54794 posts
19592 upvotes
Is this like over at rogers where a voice plan is required on top of this data plan? TIA
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14696 posts
2384 upvotes
Toronto
Not bad. Really good deal actually but overages are killer so you never really get your money's worth.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19500 posts
2204 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
alanbrenton wrote: Is this like over at rogers where a voice plan is required on top of this data plan? TIA
Can you maintain a number without a voice plan?
Mar 23, 2010
574 posts
471 upvotes
Dumb question but what download speeds are to be expected on LTE or HSPA? I've only been using Fido and their 3G speeds are slooow. That's why I dropped my 6GB plan for something cheaper... it's not even worth tethering.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2011
1980 posts
271 upvotes
MONT-ROYAL
iced~metal wrote: Dumb question but what download speeds are to be expected on LTE or HSPA? I've only been using Fido and their 3G speeds are slooow. That's why I dropped my 6GB plan for something cheaper... it's not even worth tethering.
wow! fido is basically rogers network, perhaps you were using a crappy phone or had weak signal. I have no problem watching netflix tethering...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3250 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
iced~metal wrote: Dumb question but what download speeds are to be expected on LTE or HSPA? I've only been using Fido and their 3G speeds are slooow. That's why I dropped my 6GB plan for something cheaper... it's not even worth tethering.

My best HSPA on telus is 13xxx down and 8xxx up, usually around 8xxx and 3xxx though, HTC one s
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5272 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
mark_in_2k wrote: Those are LTE speeds, not HSPA (AKA 4G).
Not necessarily. I've hit similar speeds a couple times on HSPA+.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
In Burnaby, BC, I've seen 25M ~ 30M down.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54794 posts
19592 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Can you maintain a number without a voice plan?
I was thinking more along those data plan sticks. I had a rogers stick before but then i believe the sim card was transferable to a cellphone.

Havent had that for a long time though.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2760 posts
884 upvotes
I hit 48 mb/s on telus LTE a few weeks ago. On HSPA, the most I ever got up to was 11 mb/s. Never tried DC-HSPA, but I hear it generally hits around 13-18 mb/s. The best thing about the Telus network is the upload speed which is 3-6 mb/s usually.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2011
1980 posts
271 upvotes
MONT-ROYAL
Yes, just call them up and tell them you are Deaf and Mute, then you will get a data and text only plan for the disabled.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54794 posts
19592 upvotes
CheeseDie wrote: Yes, just call them up and tell them you are Deaf and Mute, then you will get a data and text only plan for the disabled.
Good idea. Can we use chat to order as i am a depth moot? If I call i might give it away. ;)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16516 posts
2929 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote: Is this like over at rogers where a voice plan is required on top of this data plan? TIA
they will probably require a minimum spend of $50 in total so you will need a $20 voice plan at least.
if you get a data only plan for the data sticks sure.
CheeseDie wrote: Yes, just call them up and tell them you are Deaf and Mute, then you will get a data and text only plan for the disabled.
this is not funny at all.
alanbrenton wrote: Good idea. Can we use chat to order as i am a depth moot? If I call i might give it away. ;)
you are even worse for being the follower in this lame attempt at a joke.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1770 posts
1523 upvotes
Mississauga
Been with rogers for 10+ years. Think its finally time to switch as my data speeds have been terrible lately on my SGS2.

Contract is up. Just have to hope telus offers a good corp plan or a back to school plan soon.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3250 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
mark_in_2k wrote: Those are LTE speeds, not HSPA (AKA 4G).
Nope, HSPA. My phone isn't even LTE. Those are speeds I get in Mississauga. Just did a test in oakville and got 8904 kbps down, 3439 kbps up, ping of 56ms. If this was LTE the ping would be way less and speeds faster.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54794 posts
19592 upvotes
Will telus be able to sweep and detect those using data stick LTE sims on smartphones instead?

Or are the data sticks' Sim cards irremovable?