[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta

[Telus] $9.95 internet for low-income seniors in AB, BC & QC

Jan 17/22
Telus announced today Internet for Good discounted plans for low-income seniors in Alberta and British Columbia.
FEB 8: Telus extends Internet for Good for Seniors to service areas in Quebec.*

Qualifying seniors can choose from two plans.
Internet 25 - $9.95/mo, 25/5, unlimited
Internet 50 - $19.95/mo, 50/10, unlimited
Month-to-month, free installation.
(symmetrical speeds on fibre)

Seniors in AB, BC & QC who are receiving GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement) qualify.
Online application requires a copy of the T4A(OAS) showing a non-zero amount in Box 21 (Net supplements paid).
https://www.telus.com/en/social-impact/connecting-canada/seniors/application

Qualifying seniors on an existing Telus internet plan can transfer without penalty.

There is also Mobility for Good wireless service - $25 Unlimited Talk & Text in Canada, 3GB full-speed Data, unlimited throttled.
Over 2 million low-income seniors across Canada are eligible. (application)

Internet for Good plans are available for low-income families, persons with disabilities, low-income seniors, and youth aging out of provincial care.

--
Telus News Release
* Telus announces availability in Quebec
'The program is offered in eligible communities in the greater Quebec City region, Eastern Quebec and the Mauricie region' [Feb 8]
Images
  • LivingWellCompanion.png
  • MFG25.png
  • Telus_InternetForGood.png
Last edited by pjw918 on Feb 9th, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Thread Summary
The Telus Internet for Good program aligns with the Government of Canada's Connecting Families initiative.
Affordable high-speed Internet for low-income seniors and families - ISED Aug 11, 2021

From the Telus Internet for Good for Seniors announcement:

Eligible seniors can apply for Internet for Good online at telus.com/InternetForGoodSeniors and are required to provide a copy of their Old Age Security T4A (OAS) that identifies them as a recipient of the GIS.
If an applicant does not have access to the Internet or email, they can submit their documentation via mail, or enlist the assistance of a friend, family member, or case worker to apply on their behalf.
Qualified customers will receive a unique code from TELUS which they can then use to sign-up for Internet for Good.

Internet for Good customers also have the option to purchase a low-cost refurbished computer through BC Technology for Learning Society and receive access to TELUS Wise digital literacy education resources that can help them learn everyday digital skills and how to stay safe online.

In addition, Internet for Good for Seniors customers can access LivingWell Companion Home for just $5 per month. This service offers access to 24/7 emergency support at the push of a button, providing peace of mind and the ability to live more independently and feel safer at home...

For the latest information about our Connected For Good programs please visit telus.com/en/social-impact/connecting-canada.

A separate application can be made for the $25 Mobility for Good wireless service, found here. Same requirements.

After reviewing the webpage (including video, FAQs & Terms)...

If you have any questions about the Mobility for Good or Internet for Good programs please contact us at
[email protected] or
[email protected]

QC service area check

How to Apply video (3 min)

195 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3676 posts
3271 upvotes
If only I didn't sign that 2-year contract with Shaw last month....
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
4985 posts
6504 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
AsianXL wrote: If only I didn't sign that 2-year contract with Shaw last month....
You got 30 days to cancel without penalties

If you passed that 30 days. I believe it's $15 x 23 months. To break contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong RFD
Last edited by chilli604 on Jan 17th, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta
AsianXL wrote: If only I didn't sign that 2-year contract with Shaw last month....
Existing TELUS Internet customers who qualify for Internet for Good can migrate to this plan if they would like to take advantage of the $9.95 price point. Alternatively, eligible applicants can select Internet for Good with speeds of up to 50 megabits per second (where available) and unlimited monthly data for $19.95/month.
Mar 29, 2017
92 posts
31 upvotes
Nice deal, too bad faster internet speeds aren’t available though
Feb 4, 2007
665 posts
428 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: Existing TELUS Internet customers who qualify for Internet for Good can migrate to this plan if they would like to take advantage of the $9.95 price point. Alternatively, eligible applicants can select Internet for Good with speeds of up to 50 megabits per second (where available) and unlimited monthly data for $19.95/month.
my mother is on 2 year contract which started September. She is paying $90 for land, internet 150, and 3 theme tv pack. she uses 5gig a month at most. her phone is only $10 month. I wonder if she can change and get it to be lower... she is on GIS.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3782 posts
3236 upvotes
Good for Telus! But probably shouldn't in hot deals forum...
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4330 posts
8233 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
Telus has been gouging my Mom for 20 years with a Internet 25 plan for $70/mo. There is one other option in her city and they are $69.95
unfortunately she is just barely out of GIS range
Jul 2, 2010
147 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver
good deal for seniors. I am not qualified due to age limitations

Thanks Telus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta
muffin4life wrote: Good for Telus! But probably shouldn't in hot deals forum...
If you're a low-income senior, it's a hot deal!!
Would there be a better forum to give this new and needed offering high visibility?

--
currently Telus shows regular pricing of stand-alone Internet 25 at $70 2-yr contract, $95 month-to-month (!!)
Images
  • Telus_Internet25M2M95.png
Last edited by pjw918 on Jan 17th, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4179 posts
3138 upvotes
Ontario
This is great. Rogers I think offers something for people on Disability from what I read in Ontario the ODSP Program and they also have some sort of thing for low income parents if I recalled.
---
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5785 posts
4195 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Not bad. I'll see if I can get my grandparents on this.
Dec 23, 2012
202 posts
206 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: If you're a low-income senior, it's a hot deal!!
Would there be a better forum to give this new and needed offering high visibility?
Maybe there is and hopefully someone has knowledge of such a forum.

On the flip side, many seniors have kids , so a good chance they're browsing redflags, see this and lets them know ?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4787 posts
3291 upvotes
Vancouver
Jamal2207 wrote: Nice deal, too bad faster internet speeds aren’t available though
If you do the math and if they offered the same rates, higher speed internet would actually cost more at $10/25mbps than what Shaw normally offers for the higher speeds. I.e. it would be $60 for 150mps and $120 for 300 mbps (assuming the ratio didn’t change as you went up).

This is a great deal for seniors who don’t do any streaming and just need basic internet.
Mar 5, 2007
611 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
pjw918 wrote: Telus announced today Internet for Good discounted plans for low-income seniors in Alberta and British Columbia.

Qualifying seniors can choose from two plans:
Internet 25 - $9.95/mo, 25down/5up, unlimited
Internet 50 - $19.95/mo, 50down/10up, unlimited
Month-to-month, free installation.

Seniors who are receiving GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement) qualify. Online application requires copy of the T4A(OAS) showing an amount paid in Box 21 (net supplements paid).
www.telus.com/en/social-impact/connecting-canada/seniors/application

There is also Mobility for Good wireless service for $25 - Unlimited Talk & Text in Canada, 3GB high-speed, throttled unlimited.

Internet for Good plans are available for low-income families, persons with disabilities, low-income seniors, and youth in provincial care.

--
Telus Offers $9.95/month Internet for Seniors in B.C. and Alberta
Is any of this, including the Mobility for Good cellular plans, for Ontarians by any chance?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19146 posts
3370 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Jamal2207 wrote: Nice deal, too bad faster internet speeds aren’t available though
Hard to believe a Sr would need more than 50. I use 75 and it works fine for me, that's with my kids streaming a lot.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3676 posts
3271 upvotes
1080P only requires a solid 5Mbps per stream. That is plenty for a senior couple. The 50Mbps is suffice for most. It's not like they will download large media files/torrent 24/7. Face With Tears Of Joy
Jun 15, 2021
658 posts
543 upvotes
25Mbps is plenty. Unlimited is all it matters.

to stream 4k requires 25mbps so it can probably even do that.
AsianXL wrote: 1080P only requires a solid 5Mbps per stream. That is plenty for a senior couple. The 50Mbps is suffice for most. It's not like they will download large media files/torrent 24/7. Face With Tears Of Joy
It will work perfectly fine. Just takes longer.
Last edited by MrBungal on Jan 17th, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB amazon.ca gc @ 90%
Feb 4, 2007
665 posts
428 upvotes
anyone know how the LivingWell Companion Home works? They say it is $5/month. Does it include the monitor or is it just for service?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)