[Telus] AB/BC Telus Fibre 300/300 $55 for6month

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 12:14 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2779 upvotes
SillyRabbit wrote: Does Shaw still have the problem where if too many people in your neighbourhood are using the internet at once the speeds slow down at “peak” times due to an overloaded node?

I live in a densely populated area so I chose Telus but I’d be open to Shaw if they fixed this problem. Reason being is that I find Telus Optik TV to be of poor visual quality, they encode their TV channels at 5.6 Mbps whereas Shaw is 7-8 Mbps, resulting in a higher quality picture.
That's a feature of cable technology, not problem that can be fixed. If a neighbourhood cable segment gets overloaded at peak times, then performance for everyone on the shared cable segment necessarily slows down. The cable company can mostly prevent potential problems by not allowing too many clients on one cable segment, and if a problem starts to develop, than can correct it by splitting the segment. But it takes them time to confirm a consistent problem and react by scheduling a future infrastructure upgrade. However, I've had Shaw service here 3 separate times, and I never noticed any congestion at peak times. My neighbourhood is probably pretty typical.

I've also had Shaw Direct satellite TV, Shaw cable TV, and Telus Optik TV here. The differences are subtle, but there is a small quality difference apparent in that order (best to worst), as you would expect from the bit rates. Optik TV is generally much more modern in features than Shaw's traditional cable offering. Shaw has been struggling to catch up based on the Bluesky product they licence from Comcast, but they're 5 years behind. There's not much they can do independently since their technology is just whatever gets handed down from the big U.S. cable companies. As for satellite TV, Shaw's plan was to buy Starchoice and make it a non-competitor with cable, and they succeeded.
Apr 28, 2012
135 posts
94 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Deadlystrafe wrote: Heh, I did that guys install.
Do you know if an SFP install something any Telus fibre technician has the authority/expertise/equipment to do? I'd be interested in getting rid of the ONT and adding an SFP NIC to my pfSense box, but I don't want to do that if the Telus tech isn't likely to be able/willing to provision SFP.
Sep 23, 2013
457 posts
408 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SillyRabbit wrote: Serious question for you, what do you use your internet for that you think you would see a benefit going from 150 to 300? I am genuinely curious, as I want to decide if those speeds are something I’d be interested in. Currently have 100.
To be honest, I dont feel any difference. To be even more honest, I knew I wouldnt feel any difference when I decided to call customer service. For me, and I presume many here, it's about getting a lower monthly bill and the spec bump is just gravy. Unlike our wireless providers where we are getting shafted month after month compared to basically every other country on earth, this is a rare opportunity to feel valued as clients. If we were all going from 150 to 300 and paying even slightly more than our current bills, I doubt this thread would exist.
Oct 26, 2015
83 posts
78 upvotes
snoopstah wrote: Do you know if an SFP install something any Telus fibre technician has the authority/expertise/equipment to do? I'd be interested in getting rid of the ONT and adding an SFP NIC to my pfSense box, but I don't want to do that if the Telus tech isn't likely to be able/willing to provision SFP.
They should have a field app allowing us to provision an SFP or ONT with the scan of a barcode. It’s not hard for that to happen.
Some techs might not plug into your pfSense box but you could just unplug it I’m sure. You would have to be comfortable setting up that side.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
hartzfizzo wrote: To be honest, I dont feel any difference. To be even more honest, I knew I wouldnt feel any difference when I decided to call customer service. For me, and I presume many here, it's about getting a lower monthly bill and the spec bump is just gravy. Unlike our wireless providers where we are getting shafted month after month compared to basically every other country on earth, this is a rare opportunity to feel valued as clients. If we were all going from 150 to 300 and paying even slightly more than our current bills, I doubt this thread would exist.
Sorry, didn't read the thread but are you referring to the OP deal of 300/300 for 55$ for 6 months then regular 110$ monthly? I find that kinda cold. Unless of course you were paying the regular 110 anyway and had no intention of playing the pingpong between shaw and telus with their 3 months promo each
Sep 23, 2013
457 posts
408 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Messerschmitt wrote: Sorry, didn't read the thread but are you referring to the OP deal of 300/300 for 55$ for 6 months then regular 110$ monthly? I find that kinda cold. Unless of course you were paying the regular 110 anyway and had no intention of playing the pingpong between shaw and telus with their 3 months promo each
I guess i wasnt referring to the OP for which I apologize. Somewhere down the road, this thread got sidetracked as we used the details of the original post as a springboard for scoring ourselves better deals on our current rate plans.

I can't speak for Telus because my experience is with Shaw. Since this thread is originally intended for Telus clients, I apologize again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5036 posts
1511 upvotes
Vancouver
I got 150 speed with pick six for $85 plus tax for one yr. It was one of those door to door sales after fiber was installed in our area. Install set for next weekend
Nov 9, 2013
495 posts
125 upvotes
Looks like Telus 300/300 for $55 first 6 months is still being offered. On top of that I see they are offering their mesh network option for free on a two year term and also a $100 bill credit if ordering online:
https://www.telus.com/en/bc/deals?linktype=nav

Does anyone know if all this can be stacked together? 2 year term, free boost/mesh option plus $100 credit for $55 for the first 6 months?