Expired Hot Deals

Telus

BC/AB Internet for Good program for K-12 Students. $9.95/month

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 5:44 am
Jr. Member
Feb 9, 2017
191 posts
176 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Schools identify families who do not have access to internet in their home and verify with Telus the student is enrolled in the school. They are then provided a unique code and the family contacts Telus for the install. I do agree that this is a fantastic PSA but not sure this is the proper forum for this as it is not really available to everyone.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
19177 posts
3393 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
MikuGirl wrote: This isn't new, both Telus & Shaw had similar offers for BC; however, it was for those with low income or on government assistance.

Basically their old Internet 6 "high" speed package (6Mbps/250Kbps) or Shaw's Internet package (10Mbps/512Kbps).

However, they just made it easier to obtain for everyone during this crisis.

It's not government subsidized and they don't make money, as they still need to invest in the equipment at the office to support.

They use to give you an old DLINK ADSL modem for free (included in the $10 monthly).

It's NOT limited to those with children and it's NOT for new customers only. I believe payment has to be automatic "credit card" or "pre-payment" through bank.

With many who cannot make rent; I think this is a very good option. Previously, all you need to do is call them up and inquire about it.

-Eligibility is single parent households on income assistance or receiving the max child benefit, so it is limited to those with children
-Speed is up to 25mbps
-Modem is current model.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 25, 2019
826 posts
1851 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: -Eligibility is single parent households on income assistance or receiving the max child benefit, so it is limited to those with children
-Speed is up to 25mbps
-Modem is current model.
It looks like it's a different program than the one that we are familiar with for "low income" households.

It's nice that they've increased the speed & to include a current model of modem (hopefully with WIFI, as the DLINK didn't).
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
19177 posts
3393 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
MikuGirl wrote: It looks like it's a different program than the one that we are familiar with for "low income" households.

It's nice that they've increased the speed & to include a current model of modem (hopefully with WIFI, as the DLINK didn't).
This program has always used the current modem for the applicable service plan, customers on it were never given a Dlink modem without wifi. It's always been for families with children. It's always been up to HSIA 25 since the launch in 2016. (Customers were only given lower speeds if they lived in an area that couldn't get 25mbps. )

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/24/telu ... -families/

The last Telus Dlink modem was the 3810, which did have wifi. The last non-wifi Dlink Telus used was the 300g, which were 10 years old when the program launched in 2016.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 25, 2019
826 posts
1851 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: This program has always used the current modem for the applicable service plan, customers on it were never given a Dlink modem without wifi. It's always been for families with children. It's always been up to HSIA 25 since the launch in 2016. (Customers were only given lower speeds if they lived in an area that couldn't get 25mbps. )

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/24/telu ... -families/

The last Telus Dlink modem was the 3810, which did have wifi. The last non-wifi Dlink Telus used was the 300g, which were 10 years old when the program launched in 2016.
Thank-You for the correction, as I never was on the program. We just help low income families and tell them to apply for this with Telus or Shaw. I do know some must of gotten a modem without WIFI, cause my coworker who understand technology send them to Free Geek to buy a cheap one, but that's a number of years ago.

Do you know the details of the other low income Telus program (sometimes seniors get)?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)