• Nov 2nd, 2019 9:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3647 posts
2312 upvotes
Edmonton

TELUS Call Forwarding

I have a personal account which is linked to a corporate employee purchase plan. I have been trying to get some assistance regarding the Call Forward feature because I cannot get Easy Roam added to my (grandfathered) account.

My features are described as follows:

1) Call Forward PPU Access
2) Call Forward - Local Calling Area Only.

My idea was to call forward my phone to the wife's Virgin phone to save on any Long Distance. Virgin has Roam Sweet Roam which is basically equivalent to Telus' Easy Roam. I have spoken with a number of CSRs and they insist that if I forward my phone to my wife's phone and her phone is in the States that I would be charged $1.60/minute as a CF PPU access. They state emphatically that it doesn't matter that it is a local number. This is the complete opposite of Virgin Mobile. Virgin states that as long as the call is forwarded to a local number, it remains a local call and not charged. This actually does make more sense because if my wife is in the U.S., she is obviously incurring the long distance charges by being outside her calling area.

It does not make sense that a call is essentially incurring two long distance charges for the same call but TELUS maintains that this is how it works with them. They say that if I forward my phone to a local number and that person is outside the calling area, I am charged a Pay Per Use charge per minute and some say long distance charges as well. Of course, the person receiving the call is subject to long distance as well based on their plan.

There is no consistent answer. I contacted Twitter support and they state if the receiver is in the U.S., I would be charged $0.50 per minute PPU and long distance charges.

It amazes me that a corporation like Telus has set up a convoluted system that its own employees cannot even explain.

Just wondering if anyone here has any practical experience with forwarding a phone to a local number but situated outside the calling area and how it is handled.
4 replies
Mar 18, 2006
161 posts
107 upvotes
CF is a confusing beast.

My understanding is that if you setup CF *before* leaving the TELUS network, it will be treated as a local rate call by TELUS.

Your wife would pay roaming rates per her plan for receiving your forwarded call.
Apr 15, 2010
201 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
starchoice wrote: I have a personal account which is linked to a corporate employee purchase plan. I have been trying to get some assistance regarding the Call Forward feature because I cannot get Easy Roam added to my (grandfathered) account.

My features are described as follows:

1) Call Forward PPU Access
2) Call Forward - Local Calling Area Only.

My idea was to call forward my phone to the wife's Virgin phone to save on any Long Distance. Virgin has Roam Sweet Roam which is basically equivalent to Telus' Easy Roam. I have spoken with a number of CSRs and they insist that if I forward my phone to my wife's phone and her phone is in the States that I would be charged $1.60/minute as a CF PPU access. They state emphatically that it doesn't matter that it is a local number. This is the complete opposite of Virgin Mobile. Virgin states that as long as the call is forwarded to a local number, it remains a local call and not charged. This actually does make more sense because if my wife is in the U.S., she is obviously incurring the long distance charges by being outside her calling area.

It does not make sense that a call is essentially incurring two long distance charges for the same call but TELUS maintains that this is how it works with them. They say that if I forward my phone to a local number and that person is outside the calling area, I am charged a Pay Per Use charge per minute and some say long distance charges as well. Of course, the person receiving the call is subject to long distance as well based on their plan.

There is no consistent answer. I contacted Twitter support and they state if the receiver is in the U.S., I would be charged $0.50 per minute PPU and long distance charges.

It amazes me that a corporation like Telus has set up a convoluted system that its own employees cannot even explain.

Just wondering if anyone here has any practical experience with forwarding a phone to a local number but situated outside the calling area and how it is handled.
You could add their only call forwarding add-on. It is only $5 for North American call forwarding. I don't know if it can be added on your corporate employee purchase plan but when I switched from Rogers to Telus, I was promised free call forwarding, so they gave it to me for $0.
Telus
Line 1 $45 25gb with 20% off and $7.50 Family Discount
Line 2 $45 25gb with $7.50 Family Discount
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3647 posts
2312 upvotes
Edmonton
emann56 wrote: You could add their only call forwarding add-on. It is only $5 for North American call forwarding. I don't know if it can be added on your corporate employee purchase plan but when I switched from Rogers to Telus, I was promised free call forwarding, so they gave it to me for $0.
Yea, that’s $5 a month. It would be a waste if it didn’t give any additional functionality from what I have now.
Apr 15, 2010
201 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
starchoice wrote:
Yea, that’s $5 a month. It would be a waste if it didn’t give any additional functionality from what I have now.
It will remove the long-distance charges and PPU charges or am I mistaken?
Telus
Line 1 $45 25gb with 20% off and $7.50 Family Discount
Line 2 $45 25gb with $7.50 Family Discount