Ongoing Deal Discussion

Telus

(CRAZY Internet / TV / Phone Price Match Offer with Shaw)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:19 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes

[Telus] (CRAZY Internet / TV / Phone Price Match Offer with Shaw)

UPDATE: This thread had too many reports and was shut down. DO NOT ask for reps to contact you in this thread. No Telus or Shaw rep will do that here. This thread has helped customers save over $100,000+ in services. Let's not get any more reports and continue to share and help each other please.

Since it's been 2 years since starting this thread, there is some new info. Read this first post to learn how to negotiate with Telus, then go here: For the most up to date info, here is my latest post.

Alright, starting a thread to help others as the Shaw thread was helping a lot of Telus customers but only if they read through 50+ pages to grab the proper info. This is a quick summary to help Telus customers.

In short, Shaw came out with a very attractive offer for their current customers and new customers. See this thread for full pricing depending on who your provider is. Telus and Shaw customers get different promo pricing: shaw-lauches-wideopen-internet-150-49-9 ... s-2019721/

Basically:

If you are a Shaw customer, you can get this offer: http://shop.shaw.ca/Internet150upgrade

If you are with Telus, you can get this offer: http://shop.shaw.ca/internet150

If you are not a customer of Telus or Shaw, call them up and ask for the $49.90 deal!

So how does this benefit Telus customers?

Telus is working hard to keep customers, especially customers who have been with them for a bit. I suggest anyone with a Telus bill that is $80-$100 and over, use a 2 yr contract to sweeten up the deal. Like I said, if you can lower your bill by $50-$80 / month, the cancellation fee of $10 / month of remaining contract is negligible in the overall picture (ie. even if you cancel at month 5, you do not "lose out"). Of course, you have to be happy with your Telus services to stay. If they sweeten the deal, why not take the 2 yr!

If you have more than 1 service with Telus, it's much easier to get a better offer. Doesn't matter if it's phone or TV.

Note: Even people who are not going to the full 50-150 mbps Internet plans are getting good 12 month deals with and without contracts. So reports of offers for lower priced plans were good as well.

Just be courteous, speak to an agent and ask what they can offer. If it isn't what you are looking for, ask to speak to retention. Negotiate there politely and then let them know you are seriously considering the new Shaw offer. Then ask them to give you their best offer. You may be pleasantly surprised, especially if you agree to the 2 yr contract. Depending on your, your first few months of savings would justify the cancellation of contract fees. I think it's like $10 / month for the remaining months. At 12 months, you pay $120 in cancellation fees. Depending on your current plan, you can potentially save this much in the first 2 months!

Add On: Don't threaten or even ask to cancel. Be more upfront. Ask to see what they can do to lower your bill. Then agent will give you something small. Ask for more, they will respond with I cannot do that. Then ask to speak with retention to see what other offers they may have access to. Don't be like those guys who call and threaten to cancel. Asking for options to lower your monthly bill gets you much better results.

Update: It seems like a new low offer rolled out within Telus. To match Shaw, retention reps can go as low as $35 / month for your Internet. Have fun!

Fun Updates: I have started to add up savings for the first 12 months of all users who posted their negotiated plans. It's a rough estimate that on July 29, 2016 (today), that there is roughly an accumulative savings of about $10,000, give or take. Once you finalized your negotiations, add your 12 month savings to this total and keep the total going. Let's see how this thread can save RFD'ers money.
Last edited by bowmah on Aug 8th, 2018 3:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
8570 replies
Mar 10, 2012
786 posts
1494 upvotes
PEACHLAND
Just to share what I was able to get.

$47/month (12 months, no agreement) for 150mbps down, 30 Mbps up. After running speedtest I was getting 166/33. I agree on the threatening to cancel part. I called and told them I would love to stay with them but the Shaw offer was pretty hard to pass up. Be nice, tell them the facts. The rep had to talk to a manager to see what could be done initially.

Had 2 family members who were only able to get them down to $55/Mo for the same, so definitely ymmv.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that a friend signed up for the Shaw 150 and was getting as good as I was for speed (between 165-170). Upload wasn't as good but can't recall the numbers.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
I wanted get telus to match shaw, but sadly only up to telus50 is available in my building
Feb 9, 2015
33 posts
18 upvotes
2003fxdl wrote: Just to share what I was able to get.

$47/month (12 months, no agreement) for 150mbps down, 30 Mbps up. After running speedtest I was getting 166/33. I agree on the threatening to cancel part. I called and told them I would love to stay with them but the Shaw offer was pretty hard to pass up. Be nice, tell them the facts. The rep had to talk to a manager to see what could be done initially.

Had 2 family members who were only able to get them down to $55/Mo for the same, so definitely ymmv.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that a friend signed up for the Shaw 150 and was getting as good as I was for speed (between 165-170). Upload wasn't as good but can't recall the numbers.
This deal is great but after the 12 months it will be back to original price though so i'm assuming after the 12 months you'll downgrade your plan (due to price)?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
emeraldstone wrote: This deal is great but after the 12 months it will be back to original price though so i'm assuming after the 12 months you'll downgrade your plan (due to price)?
That's the real benefit of the Shaw 2 year deal unless Shaw comes out with more deals 1 year from now which you can price match. If you want certainty for 2 years, Shaw's the best option. After which you can benefit from the Telus "new customer" discounts as well such as the $300 Visa Gift card..
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
Is there any good deals for new Telus customers? I am only interested in Internet service. Tia!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
op do you work for Telus?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
karnige wrote: even if he did hes giving great advice
agreed, I was just asking
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Telus just lowered their regular internet pricing today by $5 per plan.

Edit: Internet 15 has decreased by $10 in a bundle compared to before.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
emeraldstone wrote: This deal is great but after the 12 months it will be back to original price though so i'm assuming after the 12 months you'll downgrade your plan (due to price)?
dealseaker101 wrote: That's the real benefit of the Shaw 2 year deal unless Shaw comes out with more deals 1 year from now which you can price match. If you want certainty for 2 years, Shaw's the best option. After which you can benefit from the Telus "new customer" discounts as well such as the $300 Visa Gift card..
@emeraldstone and @dealseaker101, that is why I suggested to get a deal that you are happy with and then use the 2 year contract to try and sweeten things up. Then instead of 12 months, you get 24 months of certainty. Not everyone wants to re-negotiate every year, it can be stressful and takes time to investigate options.

Get a great first year, then try and get something for the second year based on the 2nd year pricing of Shaw. Even if the savings is less than the first year (as it will be to match Shaw's current offer), you are locked in for 24 months. Why do you want to do that?

1. Some areas may not have 100 mbps or higher packages.

2. If you do not get a contract, you go back to original pricing at month 13. Say you get Internet 50 from Telus with the great pricing for the 1st 12 months. Then from 13-24 months, you go to $88 / month if you do not have phone or TV with them. If you sign a 2 yr now, you may get some retention or loyalty credits during the 2nd year and bring your bill down say to $83 / month. This is still pretty good and gets you a some sort of a discount for the 2nd year. This is good for those who do not want to negotiate again or have the time to keep looking for deals all the time. Worst case is, you run into a better deal, you cancel at month 13. Your penalty is $10 a month, I think. That is $120 in penalties. You easily saved this in the first year so you are not losing out.

3. Yes, if you have the time and think after a year you will find something better, then don't take the contract. Let's put it this way, if Telus service is good for your new super low lost Internet 50, you are not going to leave unless Shaw has another offer that significantly beats it. It may happen, the chance is yours to take, keep and eye on and maintain. It's a lot of work in my opinion.
AsianXL wrote: Is there any good deals for new Telus customers? I am only interested in Internet service. Tia!
Did you read the first post? lol
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: Telus just lowered their regular internet pricing today by $5 per plan.
That is news. Did they publish it on their website? Would love to see this in writing. Word on the street is, they increased it by $5 this month!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
dealseaker101 wrote: Telus just lowered their regular internet pricing today by $5 per plan.
Yes, looks like they rolled back their $5 increase which started this month
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
iHateShaw wrote: Yes, looks like they rolled back their $5 increase which started this month
Yes, I checked their website and it is now $5 less than earlier today. What about those customers who got charged the $5 already?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
bowmah wrote:
Did you read the first post? lol
Yeah and it's irrelevant because I am with neither Shaw or Telus right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: Yeah and it's irrelevant because I am with neither Shaw or Telus right now.
I see where the misunderstanding is. Added more info to the first post. Then you get the lower of the 2 deals. If you go to Shaw, you get the $50 / month as a new customer. If you go to Telus, you can try and ask them to match it.
Jan 17, 2003
620 posts
68 upvotes
BC
both threads are meh.

upload speeds are 2/3rd higher but you likely never even get a up speed anywhere close to advertised except at speedtest.net
pay more money to have great connection to EA'S CRAPPY servers.
reminds me of exotic cars driving 50km in rush hour traffic. Good luck with the giver eh...?
Nov 6, 2008
200 posts
82 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Edit: Internet 15 has decreased by $10 in a bundle compared to before.
While I see a msg in my inbox that they have increased internet price by $5 from July 1st!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
scorpionkami wrote: While I see a msg in my inbox that they have increased internet price by $5 from July 1st!
Yes, but their website pricing has changed today. Management must have made a decision from all the cancellations due to a price increase and their competitor offering internet packages that Telus does not have. Their fiber roll out has been so slow, not many people can get 100 mbps let alone the 150 or 200 option.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
bowmah wrote: Their fiber roll out has been so slow, not many people can get 100 mbps let alone the 150 or 200 option.
Maybe it's time they speed up their fibre roll out so they can match Shaw, no problem. Until then, they'll have to discount even more from Shaw's price because of an "inferior" offering.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)