Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Telus] (CRAZY Internet / TV / Phone Price Match Offer with Shaw)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 9:01 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2019 posts
1358 upvotes
Calgary
IvanAndreevich wrote: Can you be more specific? What number did you call, and where is the online chat? Can't seem to find it.
Ultimately the thing that worked was getting connected to the Purefibre loyalty department on the phone, even though I was a “new” customer.
Dec 29, 2011
30 posts
5 upvotes
defektion wrote: So I spoke with Telus Loyalty last night and this is the deal I got:
- Internet 750 + Unlimited Data
- You Pick 8 + Movies
- Crave
- Cantonese Pack + Fairchild 2 HD
- 4K PVR
- 4K Wireless
- HD STB
I haven't received my first bill yet but it says I should be paying $88 + tax which makes it $92.40 for 24 months. How did I do?
Sounds like a great deal...you mentioned Loyalty, so I guess you are not new to Telus. I've been with Shaw for eons and would love to get this deal through their Loyalty Dept. Any tips?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2004
5203 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond
jarfgames wrote: Ultimately the thing that worked was getting connected to the Purefibre loyalty department on the phone, even though I was a “new” customer.
Thanks for the pro-tip. Will try it and let you know about my success.
Heat @ 370+
Mar 8, 2008
206 posts
144 upvotes
Edmonton
vicpamr wrote: Sounds like a great deal...you mentioned Loyalty, so I guess you are not new to Telus. I've been with Shaw for eons and would love to get this deal through their Loyalty Dept. Any tips?
That's correct, I'm not new to Telus but being off contract meant I have the power to negotiate. So now I'm locked in for a 24-month service agreement but I've been able to negotiate my pricing within that time. My tips to get a good deal, make sure you get a rep from Canada. Not sure how far Shaw's call centers extend but it's good to have someone who speaks fluent English.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2019 posts
1358 upvotes
Calgary
defektion wrote: That's correct, I'm not new to Telus but being off contract meant I have the power to negotiate. So now I'm locked in for a 24-month service agreement but I've been able to negotiate my pricing within that time. My tips to get a good deal, make sure you get a rep from Canada. Not sure how far Shaw's call centers extend but it's good to have someone who speaks fluent English.
My Telus deal was negotiated with a loyalty rep from the Philippines, for what it’s worth.
Jul 26, 2016
108 posts
32 upvotes
jarfgames wrote: My Telus deal was negotiated with a loyalty rep from the Philippines, for what it’s worth.
Same. I've actually had a worse time with the folks from Canada sometimes. I think it really just depends on your attitude and maybe luck.
Mar 8, 2008
206 posts
144 upvotes
Edmonton
jarfgames wrote: My Telus deal was negotiated with a loyalty rep from the Philippines, for what it’s worth.
doctorcru wrote: Same. I've actually had a worse time with the folks from Canada sometimes. I think it really just depends on your attitude and maybe luck.
I guess I haven't had the best luck when it comes to reps that aren't fluent in English. I think at one point a representative I spoke to was very condescending towards me regarding the availability of my services, and the time before that the person completely messed my bill up charging me for all my STB's when they're supposed to be free. The times I have spoken to a rep from Canada were from Montreal, Vernon, and Vancouver were all pleasant to work with. If they were unable to accommodate, they were always willing to offer something or credit me. So perhaps my experiences aren't as good with overseas reps but I'll find out in 24 months when I renegotiate my bill. lol.
Banned
Jun 23, 2017
27 posts
10 upvotes
Bc
We have iffy internet when we moved and for our headache FINALLY a manager called and gave us a WHAT WE THINK is a half decent offer.
They will connect fibre which supposedly will give us 300 speed. Then 3 boxes (thats all we use currently) unlimited internet and 8 picks.
They SAID the internet alone is normally over 200 dollars...

Either way.

They offered 100 plus taxes. I took it as Im tired of our cameras not working properly and from being on here I dont know if people say fibre is better or copper is better. So I
dont know if I should take it. My friend said that the modems are no good and if I want good speed I should buy a gaming modem.
Telus is coming next week so some feedback would be good.

A) is this a reasonable BC offer.
B) is fiber better than copper so is it worth it...

Thanks
Apr 9, 2009
469 posts
504 upvotes
Calgary
Is telus/Shaw still offering bill credits? I called them for a new plan in early December. I got my bill and it doesn't reflect the price that we agreed upon. So I have to call in again. Just want to see if there was any other incentives at the moment.
Aug 14, 2017
30 posts
3 upvotes
defektion wrote: So I spoke with Telus Loyalty last night and this is the deal I got:
- Internet 750 + Unlimited Data
- You Pick 8 + Movies
- Crave
- Cantonese Pack + Fairchild 2 HD
- 4K PVR
- 4K Wireless
- HD STB
I haven't received my first bill yet but it says I should be paying $88 + tax which makes it $92.40 for 24 months. How did I do?
Is that 92 for the whole 24 months? Or Is it only for the 6 months then it will go up back in price?
I was offered
Internet 50 unlimited
Unlimited worldwide
Fairchild superpack
Fairchild HD
Home telephone

2 year contract for $84....sounds like a sham to me.
Mar 8, 2008
206 posts
144 upvotes
Edmonton
EdwardH845805 wrote: Is that 92 for the whole 24 months? Or Is it only for the 6 months then it will go up back in price?
I was offered
Internet 50 unlimited
Unlimited worldwide
Fairchild superpack
Fairchild HD
Home telephone

2 year contract for $84....sounds like a sham to me.
I asked the rep on the phone if it was going to be $92 for 24 months and he said yes. My neighbor tried to jump on what I got and she wasn't given the same offer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3670 posts
948 upvotes
It's that time to do a quick update. Since starting this post, we must have saved more than a ton of monthly fees for Telus and even Shaw customers with the price matching going on. It's been tougher and tougher to get great deals from Telus but it is still possible, I assure you. It really depends on the day of the week, how the stars are aligned and if the agent you have is willing to help, or they are just there to punch the clock.

Shaw must be trying hard to battle the loss of customers to Telus's aggressive push to move everyone away from copper to fiber. Telus is still keeping copper lines active in many neighbourhoods where there are many telephone copper customers. Apparently, they now offer telephone via copper or fiber. Shaw's response was to offer a large sign up bonus of $250 and offer double speeds etc... They know they are fighting an uphill battle with their horrible upload speeds. Today, people are uploading video like crazy and upload speeds do matter. That is why they have crazy offers for new customers lately. Telus won't outright say they will match it but they can offer similar pricing if everything aligns perfectly.

Again, be nice when you call in to Telus. Stop yelling about wanting to cancel. Ask nicely to see how your bill can be lowered, then go from there. Sometimes, regular agents, especially ones from the fiber team can get you great offers. A great fiber agent can get you better deals than a poor retention agent. This I can guarantee you. Telus is starting to feel the heat as well as they are raising prices in Feb 2019. Most customers on grandfathered plans will be bumped up from $5 to $15 to match new prices Telus is offering. Just like Shaw did years ago, they are bumping all grandfathered plans to more closely match today's prices. For customers signing up on older plans (even still available today), you will see an increase next month. If you are negotiating lately and have accepted a new plan (with your discount), your pricing will not go up this time around. So be sure to ask the agent to check the details of the price hike and see if the plan they are offering you will be increasing.

There have been some pretty good packages posted so far. I know for sure Internet 300 will see a price increase. If you have a relatively new Internet 150 price, it most likely won't go up.

Telus is only willing to go so low to keep you as a customer. Prices now are higher than 2 years ago with the discount included. If you really want, you can ask for a 2 yr term (not a contract technically, it just means you have to keep that service but can change levels) with a lower first 12 months and a regular priced 12-24 months. This gives you the best first 12 months. For those who do not want to keep calling every 12 months, ask for the best 24 month deal. They should be able to beat the total price paid in 24 months compared to the 12 month + 12 month pricing schedule. Going the 12/12 way may save you a bit more but it's a lot of work and not as easy as before to get great pricing. And 24 months gives you more bargaining chips to get unlimited usage thrown in.

Heads up. Internet 150 / 150 at $60 / month for 24 months is not unheard of. This is with unlimited usage as well.

And if you have phone as well, there is no longer a bundled savings of $5 / additional services. Instead, retention can add a lifetime credit, say $5 for phone. Phone with 3 or more options starts at $15. With the $5 discount, it comes down to $10. There is also a $10 / month phone plan if you only need 1 service (ie. only voice mail).

Some Telus reps will not be able to offer a sign up bonus and some can. Shaw is offering $250, Telus cannot match this but will offer something, for those agents who are able to set this up. Not every agent can or knows how.

Good luck and report back your savings!
Jul 20, 2010
12 posts
3 upvotes
Looking for Telus internet service only in Burnaby , no contract. Pm me with ur promo.
Dec 4, 2012
23 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Looking for Telus internet service only in Burnaby as well.,Open to contracts. Pm me with ur promo.
Sep 9, 2004
106 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm looking for information on the current Telus promos as well. I'm a Telus customer right now. We may go internet only, or possibly a internet + TV bundle. Located in Surrey. No contract. Please PM me.