Cell Phones

Telus device credit payback after cancellation?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 7:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton

Telus device credit payback after cancellation?

My dad financed a Samsung Galaxy S20+ on Telus when it was on sale at Best Buy.

Since his plan is a bit expensive at $75/20GB, I was looking at options.

It turns out that to avoid churning (similar to Koodo), Telus will make you pay back the device credit (discount) when cancelling before the 2 years. With the discount included he has to pay like $1100, definitely not worth switching.

Since his other cheaper options would be Rogers EPP or Telus EPP, would either be considered cancelling? Has anyone been actually charged the device credit payback?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2074 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
Definitely would be considered canceling if you switch to Rogers EPP. For TELUS EPP, one place I found says you need to be 18 months or later into your contract and it would cost $90 to switch.

https://www.employeeoffer.ca/telus-empl ... am-epp.php
I have an existing Telus consumer account and I just want to switch the rate plan with corporate offer without upgrading my device.

You will be able to convert to corporate rate plan when you have completed 18 month of your current contract. $50 account conversion fee & $40 processing fee applied per line
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
Devhux wrote: Definitely would be considered canceling if you switch to Rogers EPP. For TELUS EPP, one place I found says you need to be 18 months or later into your contract and it would cost $90 to switch.

https://www.employeeoffer.ca/telus-empl ... am-epp.php
Is there no way to get around it? For example, paying off the device balance before cancelling. I always told my dad that getting phones for cheap on a contract is not actually cheap, I guess we now see how expensive it becomes...
Newbie
Apr 19, 2014
65 posts
78 upvotes
Markham, ON
tablo13 wrote: My dad financed a Samsung Galaxy S20+ on Telus when it was on sale at Best Buy.

Since his plan is a bit expensive at $75/20GB, I was looking at options.

It turns out that to avoid churning (similar to Koodo), Telus will make you pay back the device credit (discount) when cancelling before the 2 years. With the discount included he has to pay like $1100, definitely not worth switching.

Since his other cheaper options would be Rogers EPP or Telus EPP, would either be considered cancelling? Has anyone been actually charged the device credit payback?
You can contact TELUS and find out how much you owe on the phone to cancel the account.
There's no way around paying whatever is owing on the device balance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
8iNetworks wrote: You can contact TELUS and find out how much you owe on the phone to cancel the account.
There's no way around paying whatever is owing on the device balance.
Yeah the problem is they want the device discount credit as well. The device balance we have no problem with, but they also want the discount off MSRP back when cancelling before 2 years...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
11921 posts
3041 upvotes
tell them you broke you phone and wish to buy a new one, see if they'll let you pay it off
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Jr. Member
Feb 29, 2020
130 posts
24 upvotes
How much was the full device pricing of your father S20 at the begin of the agreement?
tablo13 wrote: Yeah the problem is they want the device discount credit as well. The device balance we have no problem with, but they also want the discount off MSRP back when cancelling before 2 years...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
DeJesus wrote: How much was the full device pricing of your father S20 at the begin of the agreement?
Pretty sure that'd be $1875 as listed on Telus' website. The way I read the terms, we have to pay the discount back if we upgrade or cancel before 2 years. https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/art ... nt-balance
Either way, the Telus CSR told us we'd have to pay around $1100 (device balance plus the discount amount) if we cancelled... That particular rep suggested selling the phone. As if that'll help.
Newbie
Nov 2, 2014
40 posts
13 upvotes
Markham, ON
Pay rest if balance on phone and change plans without changing device while staying on Telus. I wonder if that works.
Member
Jan 29, 2013
285 posts
95 upvotes
toronto
Read the contract, they may let you change the plan if you pay half of the device balance discount. They should have a cheaper plan in their system thats not posted on website. I have EPP plan and they said if I pay half of my device balance discount then I can change the plan. Hope its the same on consumer contract agreement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1723 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton
legacyofprotovirus wrote: Unfortunately no way to get out of this.
akagarry wrote: Read the contract, they may let you change the plan if you pay half of the device balance discount. They should have a cheaper plan in their system thats not posted on website. I have EPP plan and they said if I pay half of my device balance discount then I can change the plan. Hope its the same on consumer contract agreement.
Yeah looks like $75 for 20GB is as cheap as it can get for consumer data plans... As a loyalty courtesy TELUS added free 100 minutes of US calling. Looks like even changing to EPP would count as a cancellation due to different owner names, and the cost is $1072 something. Paying that cost just to switch carriers or plans isn't really worth it, as you can get a used S20+ for about that cost. Too bad he didn't just buy direct from Samsung Online Store when they had the discount and trade-in bonus when he purchased....

Top