[Telus] Free phone and 3gb Plan for people <26 leaving foster care

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2019 1:05 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
554 posts
1549 upvotes

[Telus] Free phone and 3gb Plan for people <26 leaving foster care

Hi, yes I know this is not a hot deal exactly but I wasnt exactly sure where to put this. I think if more people know about this it can be helpful.
If you or someone you know just came out of foster care and is under 26, they can be eligible for a free phone and a free plan with unlimited canadawide call and text with 3gb of data for 2 years. I hope this can be useful and helpful for some as coming out of foster care can be tough, I could not imagine. Anyways if this is not the proper place to put this please feel free to move it. Thanks.
Thread Summary
I have a friend who works at TELUS and I told them about this thread and the popularity and attention it's getting, and asked for more details for those who work closely with youth and counsellors to be able to make use of this program. Here's the details they sent back:

TELUS partners with the Children's Aid Foundation of Canada in BC, AB, MB, ON, NB, and Centre de Jeunesse Foundation for QC. Unsure if program is available outside of these provinces.
These foundations both determine eligibility and generate a unique verification code for online sign up/activation
Device is provided by TELUS and is a "flagship smartphone" but the model/make depends on stock levels, no device requests, comes with warranty
$0/mo for first 2 years, $35/mo as BYOD plan afterward for unlimited mins, texting, all calling features, 3 GB data
Data overages are still billed to customer but capped at $50, at which point data is turned off and the youth must call in and agree to charges for further overage
No requirements of good credit, all eligible youth are accepted regardless of credit history
If customer has existing contract/account with TELUS, TELUS will waived 50% of the device balance prior to moving to this plan
For youth or counsellors interested in registering - visit Children's Aid Foundation of Canada website, scroll down and select your province, then click "How do I apply?" for a link to the registration form. It looks like they require just name, DOB, and confirmation that you were under permanent or temporary care of Ministry of Children and Family Development/Delegated Aboriginal Agency or on a youth agreement as of your 19th birthday OR you are eligible for the Agreement with Young Adults Program. Once complete, you'll get a unique registration code to provide to TELUS to process your sign up!

Hope this helps clarify the process for some people!

Thanks for Leverage for making this summary.
118 replies
Oct 21, 2016
141 posts
441 upvotes
This is great news for young adults who start their life without much help.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3140 posts
654 upvotes
Not a deal for many but you got an upvote
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
554 posts
1549 upvotes
Indeed it is. I just heard of it on the radio, never knew they did this.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
5617 posts
3604 upvotes
Turonno
To the one downvote, yes...we are well-aware that we are 'unable to get deal', but this is good information & I'm certain someone will benefit because they heard about it from someone who saw it on RFD! Electric Light Bulb
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
554 posts
1549 upvotes
Said212 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2019 7:33 pm
To the one downvote, yes...we are well-aware that we are 'unable to get deal', but this is good information & I'm certain someone will benefit because they heard about it from someone who saw it on RFD! Electric Light Bulb
Yes exactly why i posted, I know most people won't be able to get this, but the point is that if someone is able to share this with someone they know, than thats good.
Aug 24, 2015
198 posts
628 upvotes
AB
Inb4 someone pretends to be a foster child for this deal. Wonder if other telecoms will follow suit?
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
554 posts
1549 upvotes
puglife644 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2019 8:03 pm
Inb4 someone pretends to be a foster child for this deal. Wonder if other telecoms will follow suit?
I really hope someone doesn't pretend to be a foster child. That would be so cold of them.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
554 posts
1549 upvotes
Leverage wrote:
Nov 5th, 2019 6:49 pm
TELUS also offers internet access for low-income families out west in BC and AB also.

$9.95/mo for 25/5 mbps internet, free WiFi modem rental, and ability to purchase a "low cost refurbished computer" through the company.

https://www.telus.com/en/about/company- ... t-for-good
This is also good from telus. Decent internet with free modem for only $10 a month.
Nov 6, 2014
225 posts
180 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
This should be a sticky, how about it mods ?