• Jul 16th, 2020 8:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8338 posts
4053 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Telus FTTH: Available in the weirdest areas

I recall that some here are still waiting for Telus FTTH in their urban and suburban sub-divisions of big cities in western Canada.

Just did a stay at a beach house west of Victoria where the whole area is very low density (just a highway with homes on large lots for the most part off the highway). Was surprised to find this property has Telus FTTH (which some neighbourhoods in Victoria proper and adjacent Saanich have yet to get). Wiring is easy as the main FO cable just runs along the highway on utility poles and from there to homes. No big commercial or governmental users along the way or at the end of the road, other than a national park facility which is decidedly difficult to access and has very, very limited access at any rate.

As an FYI, cell service is very limited (the unwary may end up incurring roaming charges from the U.S.). Telus has the best coverage. Couldn't get Rogers reception at all and Bell is almost a non-player.

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/te ... t-renfrew/
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1390 posts
1024 upvotes
Québec
That's normal, because before they upgrade it, they had only DSL ( max 7 Mbit). Area that are covered by VDSL are not gonna get upgraded first.

Once they invest an an old area, they now skipped th vdsl and go straigth to FTTH.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2589 posts
1546 upvotes
Calgary
Probably less red tape to dig up areas to run fibre cable as well compared to larger cities.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8338 posts
4053 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Devhux wrote: Probably less red tape to dig up areas to run fibre cable as well compared to larger cities.
I guess the key is no digging: Just stringing up FO on existing utility poles. My decidedly-rural town probably got FO 3 years ago because of this. The suburban areas with buried cables are probably the last to get them.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21160 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: I guess the key is no digging: Just stringing up FO on existing utility poles. My decidedly-rural town probably got FO 3 years ago because of this. The suburban areas with buried cables are probably the last to get them.
IIRC, even in the city (at least here in Toronto), those with aerial cabling were getting it before those with buried cabling, meaning older neighbourhoods were getting FTTH before newer neighbourhoods.

My situation was a little different but same idea. My Bell copper line is buried, but there are poles everywhere for electricity, and cable TV is aerial. Since there are overhead lines, Bell just used the poles for overhead fibre optic.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8338 posts
4053 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I guess the 'burbs that wanted beautification via burying everything underground have found out what the big disadvantage is to this.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8338 posts
4053 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Discussed this with a dinner guest last night. DG used to work for Telus drafting plans for outside equipment (took early retirement but still does the same as a contractor). DG says Telus went to municipalities telling them what their plans were (there are 13 in the regional district). Some municipalities were much more open to Telus installing FO lines than others, which resulted in the receptive municipalities getting FO/FTTH service while those who were not are slowly getting service now as the outlying areas have FO/FTTH and crews have nothing else to work on. FO is, obviously much cheaper than replacing old copper line with new copper line.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Some municipalities were much more open to Telus installing FO lines than others,
Man if I ever learned that my municipality was not receptive to installing fiber optics I'd be PISSED.

More cities should be installing their own fiber and leasing it back out.
I'm paying $30/month for 1000/1000.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Apr 29, 2015
239 posts
92 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I thought the whole idea behind fiber was that it would never be installed in a way that would expose it to things like the weather that could interfere with its signal or create down time. It was marketed to us as being ultra reliable, unlike phone lines and coax cable.

So now it's just being strung up on telephone poles like any other wire?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8338 posts
4053 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Luzer123 wrote: I thought the whole idea behind fiber was that it would never be installed in a way that would expose it to things like the weather that could interfere with its signal or create down time. It was marketed to us as being ultra reliable, unlike phone lines and coax cable.

So now it's just being strung up on telephone poles like any other wire?
I guess fibre cable/wire that is weather- and hostile-environment (e.g., full on sun/UV rays) proof has been developed so that apparently isn't a factor anymore. And yes, it is strung on utility/telephone poles (or at least it is in my municapality), and seems to be quite robust and reliable (have had FTTH for 2 1/2 years with virtually no down time (have lost power for a few hours on several occasions).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21160 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: I guess the 'burbs that wanted beautification via burying everything underground have found out what the big disadvantage is to this.
New 'burbs get buried fibre optic now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8338 posts
4053 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
EugW wrote: New 'burbs get buried fibre optic now.
All fine if you live in a new subdivision. Not so good if it is an older one or where repairs are needed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)