• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 4:40 pm
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada

[Telus] Gigabit Internet (940 Mbps) $85/month [2 year contract]

Searched but didn't see any mention. Not sure when it started.

300, 750, and Gigabit plans are all $85 / month on a 2 year contract plus $150 credit if you sign up online. Unlimited data. Seemingly new sign-ups only but YMMV taking to retention if you're an existing customer.

Some other plans discounted too but the Gigabit deal is crazy. Only $15/month more than their 150 service.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 5.16.36 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 5.17.47 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 5.17.53 PM.png
Last edited by digitaloxygen_dot_ca on Feb 17th, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
37 replies
Dec 17, 2017
26 posts
42 upvotes
Just a word of caution, TELUS can raise rates on you while you are on contract.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
Interesting. How do they get away with that and are there documented cases online? I can't imagine they can hold you to that if you fight it.
Aug 26, 2008
353 posts
147 upvotes
Calgary, AB
digitaloxygen_dot_ca wrote: Interesting. How do they get away with that and are there documented cases online? I can't imagine they can hold you to that if you fight it.
+1
A contract term: "TELUS has the right to amend the terms of this agreement, except for changes to certain key contract terms, including data usage limits, minimum monthly charge, commitment period and cancellation fee (the “key contract terms”), which we will not change without your consent during your commitment period."
Dec 17, 2017
26 posts
42 upvotes
vkrasov wrote: +1
A contract term: "TELUS has the right to amend the terms of this agreement, except for changes to certain key contract terms, including data usage limits, minimum monthly charge, commitment period and cancellation fee (the “key contract terms”), which we will not change without your consent during your commitment period."
My service agreement says, "TELUS reserves the right to modify regular pricing at any time. Current published rates will apply for your TELUS Internet and TV service, and we’ll inform you at least 30 days in advance of any rate changes." TELUS tried to raise my rates $5 dollars, but since I price matched a Shaw offer they reversed the increase.
Penalty Box
Apr 28, 2017
1481 posts
1802 upvotes
theperfectpic20 wrote: Just a word of caution, TELUS can raise rates on you while you are on contract.
They could prior to January. The CRTC updated the internet code in Canada and your pricing is now locked as long as you're in a term
Aug 26, 2008
353 posts
147 upvotes
Calgary, AB
theperfectpic20 wrote: My service agreement says, "TELUS reserves the right to modify regular pricing at any time.
Doesn't it say regular pricing applies after 24 months term?

EDIT: It may not apply to price match agreements indeed...
May 10, 2018
106 posts
87 upvotes
Much better than the 115 I was paying before, I got this a couple weeks back by contacting retentions but nice to see they made it on their site.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
These are the types of workarounds I've had to use in the rare cases it happens. Before ordering I'm going to chat with support again and get the official answer on rate increases (before the 2 years is up) and get a copy of the agreement ahead of time.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
dkblackhawk wrote: Much better than the 115 I was paying before, I got this a couple weeks back by contacting retentions but nice to see they made it on their site.

A friend just called retention and got the deal too. Minus the $150 credit, but he's saving like $30 / month now and getting 3x the speed (was on 300). Great savings for that kind of service. Insane.
Jul 12, 2008
84 posts
132 upvotes
Calgary
theperfectpic20 wrote: Just a word of caution, TELUS can raise rates on you while you are on contract.
Back when I was a Telus customer, I had to call in every 6 months to keep the set price initially agreed upon. It was clock work with this company. After each phone call in and spending anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours with customer care was too much. Once my term was done, I said see ya.

They have such a terrible business model. Telus raising their rates was clock work as well. Their excuse of continually "improving" their network was the biggest crock of sh*t.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
Starting to remember why I left Telus years ago. I used to constantly switch providers and talk with retention, so I'm no stranger to dealing with it but got tired of the hassle as well.

Willing to give it another shot with this hassle expected. At the moment, I'd rather deal with that than continue with my crappy Shaw based service in my area. Especially considering the insane speeds for the price.

Seems they post (some?) of their price change updates here. Only certain packages listed so fingers crossed it won't hit me, but I'll deal with it if it does.
https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/art ... ce-updates
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
Also, I don't think they can hold to accountable and force you to pay a higher rate. You should be able to cancel the service without any penalty if they try to raise the rates and you do not accept. Cancellation is not ideal and you can probably negotiate your way out as others have, but it's good to know there is an out.

"You are not obliged to continue using the services after an amendment to this agreement is made. However, in the event you choose not to accept the changes, your sole remedy is to cancel the services, effective at the end of your current billing period. Cancellation fees may apply. If the change we make increases your obligation or reduces ours, cancellation fees will not apply."

Much more likely they will just forgo the increase to keep you as a customer if you threaten to leave. Not worth it for them. Retention is way more lucrative than fighting over $5 a month.
Jul 27, 2015
843 posts
347 upvotes
British Columbia
This deal has been posted

Also of your a Koodo Member. You get an additional $10 off your monthly bill
Mar 11, 2019
158 posts
185 upvotes
I was on 300/300 and was told gigabit was not available in my area. They did get me 750/750 but after a week and talking to local Telus installers in found out gigs is available and call loyalty back and got bumped up to giga. Truly insane speeds. Only available via ethernet cable as 500Mbs is the best I see on wifi.