Gigabit Internet (940 Mbps) $85/month [2 year contract]

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 5:54 pm
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
NixxonExxo wrote: Calling in every time can be quite the hassle and drains the time and energy out of your day. That's why I switched to Lightspeed and they've guaranteed my price locked in. I no longer have to worry about random price hike on my bills or calling CS. Very happy with my switch and wish I have done it a long time ago because you do save a lot more in the long term.
I have been with Lightspeed for about a year in our new place but we've had a lot of outages and slow downs here due to Shaw and/or Lightspeed themselves and I cannot get Lightspeeds VDSL service here. New build so apparently it's fibre only, which Lightspeed doesn't currently offer. So no choice for me if I want to switch away from Lightspeed / cable. Maybe in 2 years time Lightspeed will provide fibre reselling.

With the current Telus pricing it will only cost me $15 extra over the Telus 150 service (which is the minimum I'd get based on their current pricing). Even if I stuck with Lightspeed despite the problems their 150 service is the same price as Telus right now and we're needing more than our current 75 service anyway. So, this Telus deal is the best option for us at the moment.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
gwill211 wrote: I put in the request to switch from shaw. My shaw 300mbps has slightly raised every few months. From the 79.99 I was at to 115 now.

Called shaw to chat and they dont have the same speeds and want to charge more. So this was a no brainer.
Ouch that's a substantial increase over time. Definitely no brainer.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
3express wrote: Do let us know when Rogers Internet decides to serve BC and AB.
Also, $39.99 might have been a crazy deal at some point but it's nowhere close to current prices on their website. Their gigabit is definitely cheaper than Telus regular price ($114 vs $155) but not $39.99.

https://imgur.com/gvdJyT7
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
31 posts
24 upvotes
BC, Canada
geoffs wrote: Wow, that's nothing I checked and Telus offered me $70/month for Internet 6 (6mbps down/1 up) vs. my $45/month for 300 down/20 up on cable.
Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 28, 2018
37 posts
12 upvotes
2 year contract is really bad bad con, not to mention the sky high $85/mth.

I am with CIK fiber right now, no contract only $40/mth for $500mpbs, that's the normal rate!
Dec 8, 2012
879 posts
538 upvotes
Calgary
hey guys, what is the point of gigabit uplink? The only application for a residential user I see is a torrent download, which you would do over VPN to hide you ass. But I don't really believe in affordable anonymous VPN with 1000 mbps available to users.
There are definitely use cases for some small business users, data replication, etc. But for a regular Joe, why do you need gig vs 300 mbps?
Mar 4, 2020
21 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mr2711 wrote: How is this a deal when Rogers is giving Gigabit for $39.99 + taxes without any contract?
How is that deal even possible? what province are you in? Highly doubt rogers even have anything close to what you stated. post an image with your statement next time. Face With Tears Of Joy
Mar 4, 2020
21 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Cataclysm wrote: 2 year contract is really bad bad con, not to mention the sky high $85/mth.

I am with CIK fiber right now, no contract only $40/mth for $500mpbs, that's the normal rate!
Here's what CIK has to offer. Nothing listed even comes close to what you're stating, also if you view details on their plans it would seem they have peak hour usage and you're not guaranteed the speed they are offering. https://www.ciktel.com/InternetPlans/CableInternet

LOLOL. So i decided to call these guys up and find out about their package. They charge an 80 installation fee, their service is routed through rogers backbone. and in order to have the installation fee waived, you have to pay 1 year upfront + taxes which their 300mbp plan @ 79.99/month for 1 year + taxes will run you 1084.66.
Last edited by Cringeworthy on Mar 7th, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2019
1083 posts
1262 upvotes
Cringeworthy wrote: How is that deal even possible? what province are you in? Highly doubt rogers even have anything close to what you stated. post an image with your statement next time. Face With Tears Of Joy
Check screenshot.

Mississauga , ON. I know several people who scored this deal. Protip: next time you hear chatter at Reddit/RFD on Rogers internet deal, just logon to Rogers website, use "Live Chat" option and ask agent to check if there is any new deal which can be applied to your account.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
😎
Mar 4, 2020
21 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mr2711 wrote: Check screenshot.

Mississauga , ON. I know several people who scored this deal. Protip: next time you hear chatter at Reddit/RFD on Rogers internet deal, just logon to Rogers website, use "Live Chat" option and ask agent to check if there is any new deal which can be applied to your account.
Customers out here in Durham Region don't have your deals! You'd think they'd have something now since spring break is coming up. Nice catch those who got that offer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5030 posts
6567 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
mr2711 wrote: Check screenshot.

Wow. That's half of what I'm paying.
I signed up for this plan. Telus or shaw in my area only. Telus speed/connection has been stellar
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2877 posts
1615 upvotes
and the next Telus increase:
starting on May 1, 2020, the regular monthly rate for the TELUS Internet Unlimited Usage plan will increase by $5. Any current discounts you may have will still
apply, and your rates will be unchanged until the discount expires.
Spent an hour talking to loyalty last night about the upcomming Gmail transition. Remember the Telus email outages last Aug/Sept/Oct.....Face Screaming In Fear, this may not go well. But we also discussed these stupid $5 dollar increases and the time wasted to have to call in to get the charge waived.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2035 posts
1437 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
MMMM wrote: and the next Telus increase:

Spent an hour talking to loyalty last night about the upcomming Gmail transition. Remember the Telus email outages last Aug/Sept/Oct.....Face Screaming In Fear, this may not go well. But we also discussed these stupid $5 dollar increases and the time wasted to have to call in to get the charge waived.
If you have signed a contract recently (I believe this year, but perhaps longer) your price will not increase for the length of the agreement, the prices are locked now, not just the discounts.
Nov 28, 2018
37 posts
12 upvotes
Cringeworthy wrote: Here's what CIK has to offer. Nothing listed even comes close to what you're stating, also if you view details on their plans it would seem they have peak hour usage and you're not guaranteed the speed they are offering. https://www.ciktel.com/InternetPlans/CableInternet

LOLOL. So i decided to call these guys up and find out about their package. They charge an 80 installation fee, their service is routed through rogers backbone. and in order to have the installation fee waived, you have to pay 1 year upfront + taxes which their 300mbp plan @ 79.99/month for 1 year + taxes will run you 1084.66.
Ehhhh, actually CIK fiber is only open to limited condo or apartment, that's why you cannot find any fiber plans on website. Do you provide the address to them and ask anything about fiber? I know it because the flyers are just in my condo lobby! Anyway, hope fiber internet can be popularized in near future.
Mar 23, 2020
2 posts
I just got the deal through loyalty... My old plan was 300 for $80 so I pay $5 more for gigabit due the remainder of my term.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1329 posts
456 upvotes
So if you have Telus 150 is speed test on your laptop supposed to show 150 Mbps when connected to the router. Even the meter on Telus website only goes till 100 Mbps? So what is 150 Mbps in terms of speedtest?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5169 upvotes
Canada
itemsale2003 wrote: So if you have Telus 150 is speed test on your laptop supposed to show 150 Mbps when connected to the router. Even the meter on Telus website only goes till 100 Mbps? So what is 150 Mbps in terms of speedtest?
Speedtest.net