Computers & Electronics

Telus home; not getting the data download speed I'm supposed to be so advice would be welcome

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2021 7:17 pm
[OP]
Nov 21, 2018
85 posts
37 upvotes

Telus home; not getting the data download speed I'm supposed to be so advice would be welcome

I'm on a low tier telus home services package that I renogotiated in January. They suggested I drop a tier to get the savings that I wanted and ensured me that I would not see a difference in download speed.

It's been far from the truth. And I wouldn't mind so much if I could get even the speeds of 5-10 mbps but I never get more than 2.3 mbps, not ever. Doesn't matter if it's downloading games or torrents... 2.3.

When I talk with Telus I get all sorts of reasons and they tell me to go speedtest. Everytime the speedtest shows I'm getting 16-17 mbps, which I never get while downloading.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on or how I should address this?

Thanks for any advice.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19059 posts
6427 upvotes
Toronto
Are you using a VPN for torrents and games?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1446 posts
569 upvotes
Fibre or DSL? What speed of service Telus 25? How are measuring the speed aside from speed test? Theres a difference between megabits and megabytes.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2018
85 posts
37 upvotes
pitabread wrote: Fibre or DSL? What speed of service Telus 25? How are measuring the speed aside from speed test? Theres a difference between megabits and megabytes.
Not fibre. I'm supposed to get at the very minimum I think 10-15 megabytes now I'm not so sure. I'll have to call in to determine. Aaaaand I just checked and it's the plan so I have to go back to telus and find out what happened with what I was promised in January.
Last edited by SpicketyLit on Aug 7th, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Try fast.com or dslreports.com/speedtest for speed test.
Steam and especially torrents don't always max out your connection, so they're not a reliable way to measure your connection quality.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2018
85 posts
37 upvotes
zerod wrote: Try fast.com or dslreports.com/speedtest for speed test.
Steam and especially torrents don't always max out your connection, so they're not a reliable way to measure your connection quality.
Speedtest on dsl was about the same as my last test around 16. As I said I cleared the cache in steam and set it for unlimited. My torrents on my previous internet plan, were significantly higher and since the guy said my download speeds wouldn't be affected switching to this lower tier for what I used it for, I'm kind of pissed off.
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SpicketyLit wrote: Speedtest on dsl was about the same as my last test around 16. As I said I cleared the cache in steam and set it for unlimited. My torrents on my previous internet plan, were significantly higher and since the guy said my download speeds wouldn't be affected switching to this lower tier for what I used it for, I'm kind of pissed off.
Any changes to your network since? Wifi, moving computer locations, different modem, etc?
I take it Telus had you restart your modem at least once since January?

If the speed tests show you're getting 15ish, they'll probably blame your computer or something and won't send out a technician.

I don't think Telus does any throttling for torrents, unless you're downloading TB's worth.
You could always try a VPN just to test.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2018
85 posts
37 upvotes
Thanks to everyone for taking the time replying. I've discovered it's likely the plan, in spite of what I was told or thought I was supposed to get during my contract negotiation.
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you're negotiating through sales, you should go for the retentions department instead.
Easier done if you're not in a contract, but they might get you something better than what sales can do.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1446 posts
569 upvotes
SpicketyLit wrote: Not fibre. I'm supposed to get at the very minimum I think 10-15 megabytes now I'm not so sure. I'll have to call in to determine. Aaaaand I just checked and it's the plan so I have to go back to telus and find out what happened with what I was promised in January.
I don't recall DSL being able to do 10-15MBps(Megabytes) unless it's bonded. Can you share the screenshots of what you get on speedtest and what you're measuring it against?

By default speedtest displays it in Mbps and sounds like you're getting 16-17mbps(Megabits). If your using Steam by default it is displayed in MBps(Megabytes). So if you're using steam and it's showing 2MB/s that is correct.

Steam screenshot below showing MB/s
[OP]
Nov 21, 2018
85 posts
37 upvotes
pitabread wrote: So if you're using steam and it's showing 2MB/s that is correct.

Steam screenshot below showing MB/s
That's exactly it. 2.3 MB is what I was getting. It was your previous comment that made me look closer into it. Thank you for that.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2906 posts
2727 upvotes
North York
@OP, Keep in mind that companies advertise in MBPS and you usually download in MB/s. They are not the same. To convert MBPS to MB/s you divide by 8. So 20MBPS would be 2.5MB/s. Is this where you're seeing the discrepency?

2.3MB/s would be about 18.4MBPS, lets round up to 20mbps.