• Apr 13th, 2013 2:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes

Telus increases prices (even on contract) and reduces caps 50%

Hey guys

I signed up with Telus' for Optik TV and Internet last year around this time. It was 25 Mb/s / 500 GB and Optik essentials for a total cost of $70.

Today, they have reduced that to 25 Mb/s / 250 GB and are planning to charge me ~ $86 or $89.

What do you guys think about this? Obviously a pre-emptive strike against Netflix.

The thing that gets me, is I'm on contract, and by their arguments, they could reduce the cap to 1GB and charge me $500 per month and that would still be OK.

Not very friendly at all if you ask me.

FYI I'm dealing with the CCTS on this, and you should see the slimy tacks Telus' has taken. It's disgusting and not at all friendly.

I understand different packages went up different amounts, how much did everyones bill go up? What do you think of this whole escapade? Are you happy with being charged more for less?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
well if you were in Ontario they have a law that lets you get out of the contract. i don't think BC has a similar law which sucks.(please correct me if i am wrong-PLEASE )

not on contract and i am locked into prices til august from what they told me so if you cant get out of it try talking to the loyalty dept. and say your willing to leave and pay the price and see if they will change your plans around so your locked into something for a year - then in a 11 months call back and do the same if they play ball. best to find out what Shaw and others are currently offering or wait til a great deal comes then call.

Edit:
i have to say that pretty much all the TV/internet providers are lowering the data caps but if you look at your bill online and it doesn't show data usage then they aren't monitoring it - this was told to me by a telus billing support person and i think it is because they have a hard time differentiating from optic TV and other data use. I know they arent monitoring mine so i have no limit.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes
Teksavvy still has unlimited packages at a reasonable price, even here in Vancouver. I've read that Telus is planning to introduce charging for overages in the fall , and I believe this is the first step.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3376 posts
723 upvotes
bluenote wrote: Teksavvy still has unlimited packages at a reasonable price, even here in Vancouver. I've read that Telus is planning to introduce charging for overages in the fall , and I believe this is the first step.
Makes sense that they are going that way. I mean why lower the cap if your not going to start charging for bandwith? They just say that now to keep the anger down.

I noticed that they are raising the price as well(see my post here). I am quite angry about it but as you will see some people think it is completely justified(and not a greedy price grab).

As for you situation. You really don't have too many options. I am assuming your contract is because you got something free. If this is the case then you can pay the remaining amount of the item off and quit. Or maybe if your planning to move they will screw up the transfer like they did when I moved and 2 weeks later of having no internet their solution is to recreate my account(which they forgot to move the amount left for my free gift).

Personally I will never do that contract again. I knew that they could raise the rates and I still would be in the contract but the rep assured me(plus gave me $5/month off my bill...what got later removed once they transferred my account to a new account) that they only do that very seldom and since my family has been with them for the last 12 years I thought it was low risk.

Now in the last year and half they raised the price 3 times and cut bandwidth rates and soon probably will charge for over usage(they better put a monitor in as right now I only know how much I use when I get my statement at the end of the month).

Once they do this I am going to Teksavvy for their unlimited plan. I have xbmc now so no more cable and I need more bandwidth. If they don't do something about this price increase I might leave sooner.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
i chose a contract with telus years ago becuase i saved 30 bucks a month on pvr and extra box rental plus got 3 months free so it isnt always about getting an xbox or notebook/tablet for free. when i was with them and i think it is still now if you go off your contract you pay 20 bucks per month left up to 120$ and if you did get a item free you have to pay for that - not sure if both or just pay the price of the item.

They really should make the contract price locked for the duration of the contract and i was surprised when i found out the first time they didn't. I also know if your lucky you can get the prices changed and probably end up with a better deal than you had especially if you have been with them over a year. you really need to talk to the loyalty dept. and be nice about it but also firm in that you cant afford the new expense. Also if your having any issues call tech support first so they have a log that you have or have had problems.

BC needs to get a law like they have in Ontario so you can break contracts if the price is raised.
Oct 26, 2012
17 posts
1 upvote
New Westminster
I'm so annoyed by this. I'm also getting charged 89$ now. I didn't know this on the last bill and I paid my usual fee and now I'm charged with over due fees cause I didn't see the change.
I thought if someone is locked into a contract the price should be locked to... I want to cancel my cable, I never watch TV now. But I gotta wait 1 more year until the contract is over. I might just leave Telus all together. Very annoying that they just raise prices out of no where. They also made a huge profit the last quarter. Why are they raising prices??? Greedy buggers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5157 posts
3434 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
You have cap on your Telus internet ??

Funny In quebec it's unlimited. (They write there is a cap on their website, but never charge for it, even if you download 1TB of data)
Jan 13, 2013
243 posts
23 upvotes
Edmonton
vonblock wrote: You have cap on your Telus internet ??

Funny In quebec it's unlimited. (They write there is a cap on their website, but never charge for it, even if you download 1TB of data)
They don't charge extra, no matter the location; last time I asked, they told me that there was a glitch on their system and they can't track my usage.. but they are able to show it on my statement and I only have their internet -no contract, no TV/phone- but I have Internet loyalty discount -$10.00 and Bundle Discount -$5.00 I've been their client for 10 months only. I love TELUS! lol
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
i was rereading this and although i think your stuck with it all since it is beyond 30 days since the increase you could have probably fought the contract on the grounds of them lowering the data cap... you agreed to a certain service and they changed it. again though it depends on what is actually mentioned in the contract.

They tried to increase mine and i called and they gave me back the money they charged on my bill and made sure to extend it til august when my locked in deals expire. i truly hate telus costumer service and their billing system but the product is usually great.