• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 7:44 pm
[OP]
Feb 21, 2003
884 posts
750 upvotes
Richmond BC

Telus/Koodo user only - Free feature to combat Robo calls - Call Control

Do you guys think this should go to the hot deal section? This is a feature I would actually pay Koodo for and they are instead offering it for free.

Post this on another Koodo thread and figured the free feature deserved a new thread as many Telus/Koodo users can benefit from this.

Telus rolled out this feature earlier this year in May with minimal announcement so many of us are not aware of this new feature.

Call control is available on Telus home phone, Telus Mobile phone, and Koodo Mobile phone services that automatically screens robo-callers and prevents them from bothering you.
It's to my belief that at the moment, there are no similar features from other service providers. This feature alone will make me stay with Koodo. Haven’t had a fake DHL, Embassy, or CRA call calling thru since turning on the feature.
Please be mindful that this might block off legit robo-calls. Amazon customer service call back and IFTTT call back for example, I have added their numbers to the authorized list to allow the call to come thru.
I suppose this will also be the case for most CSR calls that offers call back features. But if you know you will be receiving a call back you can always turn off the feature temporarily.

Hope this benefit you.
How Call Control works
With Call Control on, when a caller phones you for the first time, they’ll be prompted to enter a number on their keypad. If they enter it successfully, the call will go through to you, and they won’t be prompted again (as long as they’re one of your 25 most recent callers).
Detail from Telus and Koodo:

Telus Home phone

Telus Mobile phone

Koodo Mobile service
Last edited by jimmyche on Jul 29th, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best deal (from almost 20 years ago): 2 boxes (20 reams of 500) of HP 92 white papers from staples for $7.00
Back when staples price match and takes off 50% of the price difference. (2004)
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2574 posts
1268 upvotes
Montréal, QC
OMG I need that, so many spams recently
Nov 13, 2016
427 posts
520 upvotes
Ontario
Seems like Public mobile is not getting more love no more
Still a Public Mobile customer.
Looking forward to dotmobile.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3549 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
Great but sucks if you are expecting a call for a job or the doctor.
Aug 27, 2006
516 posts
1161 upvotes
GTA
Good feature but this will also prevent calls from couriers ,appointment confirmation calls from hospital, or Contracotors like Rogers cable as well....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5094 posts
2931 upvotes
Clee wrote: OMG I need that, so many spams recently
Hello, this is the FBI with an important matter that requires your immediate attention. Thought you could escape us eh?
Banned
Jul 29, 2020
9 posts
44 upvotes
not sure if this works, I like the way google is doing it with pixel phones
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1650 posts
1674 upvotes
Markham, ON
Enabled it last week, love it!

You can add upto 25 "safe" numbers into your white list.

All other numbers will need to press the prompted key to go through.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1650 posts
1674 upvotes
Markham, ON
Sepharite wrote: Great but sucks if you are expecting a call for a job or the doctor.
Why?

The recording is very clear, and action required by the call is very clear as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1305 posts
799 upvotes
YYC
I've been using this since May 2019 with Telus and the amount of scam calls has dropped very close to zero. I was getting up to 3 or 4 a day but now I get maybe 1 a month or less from people wanting to clean my furnace. Highly Recommended!
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2308 posts
449 upvotes
Торонто
I did a test call to myself just to see what the recording said and its pretty straightforward......except for about 5 people who couldn't follow the recording and told me my phone was broken. Also almost missed an uber eats order, he ended up msging me via app and I saw
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10765 posts
2610 upvotes
Victoria
I enabled it. To be honest I don't use voice on my phone that much. Most people seem to text (including me). Usually its my grandparents that the call so I put their number on the white list. Problem solved :)

Like other people said, it's probably going to be food delivery people struggling to reach you when they need to... lol. Maybe people will start getting used to the prompt.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5196 posts
2792 upvotes
GTA
el'ation wrote: Good feature but this will also prevent calls from couriers ,appointment confirmation calls from hospital, or Contracotors like Rogers cable as well....
Potentially, yes. Add as many numbers to your whitelist as possible and/or disable it when you're expecting something a call from a number you can't whitelist. Re-enable it when you don't.

I enjoy logging into my account and seeing all the "Failed screening" statuses.
Dec 7, 2007
324 posts
290 upvotes
Edmonton
Some of the legit phone call would be blocked by this feature. I received a TD credit card fraud alert (legit), it was a voice recording (shocking - thought it was a scam) and probably wouldn't have been able to get through with this feature.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2978 posts
3798 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Cool feature on paper, but not really. I enabled this feature for a few days and got many annoyed texts from friends or family. Some of them were calling hands free while driving or bluetooth, and weren't able to get to press "5" so they didn't bother calling. Also the other posts about important automative calls are true, for example call backs. If someone had this feature on, personally I would be annoyed as hell having to press an additional key everytime.
Took it off and realistically i would probably never use it again.

But on the bright side, those of you who live private, busy lives and only contact a select few, this would be ideal.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5196 posts
2792 upvotes
GTA
blackbirdman wrote: Cool feature on paper, but not really. I enabled this feature for a few days and got many annoyed texts from friends or family. Some of them were calling hands free while driving or bluetooth, and weren't able to get to press "5" so they didn't bother calling. Also the other posts about important automative calls are true, for example call backs. If someone had this feature on, personally I would be annoyed as hell having to press an additional key everytime.
Took it off and realistically i would probably never use it again.

But on the bright side, those of you who live private, busy lives and only contact a select few, this would be ideal.
Personally, I added every number I could think of to the whitelist as soon as I enabled the feature so I didn't really have to deal with any surprises like that.

Second, if a caller passes the filter once, they're not supposed to given the prompt again unless they only call you occasionally.
Apr 1, 2007
146 posts
112 upvotes
Agassiz
Does it work for Koodo Prepaid?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)