Expired Hot Deals

[Telus Mobility] Telus LTE hub, $60 50gb, $75 250gb, $110 500gb (Rural AB/BC)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 4:12 pm
Nov 3, 2016
9 posts
I've had mine for about a month now, and man....service has degraded so much! I'm shocked about how much it's gone down. Do you think they overloaded their towers? I'm not sure what to do. I called TELUS and they basically told me "tough luck". Anybody else have service issues since they got their telus wifi?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2571 posts
2010 upvotes
Clarington
KelvinSimmons wrote: I've had mine for about a month now, and man....service has degraded so much! I'm shocked about how much it's gone down. Do you think they overloaded their towers? I'm not sure what to do. I called TELUS and they basically told me "tough luck". Anybody else have service issues since they got their telus wifi?
What kind of numbers are you getting now?
Mar 20, 2017
1 posts
I just got set up yesterday and I'm getting 50mbts down and 7 up and pings of about 45ms. Super stoked about it. Played some online games on ps4. Only problem being your Nat type is a type 3 and I can't figure out if there's a way to make it type 2, but it still plays relatively smoothly enough anyways. Just matchmaking can be hard to find people to play with. I hope it doesn't get poor in a month like yours Kevin, but so far I'm extremely happy with it!
Nov 12, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
KelvinSimmons wrote: Under 2 :(
Have you rebooted your smart hub? That usually does the trick. Hard to believe they overloaded their towers as the same towers use cell phones and I think everybody would be screaming if that was the case.

Mine has gotten faster over time so no complaints at all. Runs three computers and tv with no glitches at all. I have mine hardwired to a gigabyte desktop switch https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000N9 ... UTF8&psc=1 and hardwire everything off that switch to my computers.
Nov 3, 2016
9 posts
Yeah I tried rebooting but to no avail. Maybe I'll check with my neighbour down the street to see what they are getting
Nov 12, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
I would call telus as those speeds are seriously off. Sometimes Telus can be hard to deal with though. I had a router problem in the past that ruined my internet on one of my pc's and they would never accept that it was their router for months until I got my pc connected to another network and all was fine. Hopefully you can get them to solve your issue.
Nov 3, 2016
9 posts
Yeah its been a real pain to deal with TELUS from a customer service perspective. Im not sure if they are ready to fully support this program. It's still hard to find the website with the accurate pricing details. Seems like it's hidden. Maybe they are having second thoughts?

What about Xplornet? They are in my area now and people seem to be pretty happy with them. I saw an Xplornet guy working on the side of someone's house installing their internet. That's gotta help the signal quality, right?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2571 posts
2010 upvotes
Clarington
KelvinSimmons wrote:
What about Xplornet? They are in my area now and people seem to be pretty happy with them. I saw an Xplornet guy working on the side of someone's house installing their internet. That's gotta help the signal quality, right?
Ahhahahahahahahahahahaha haha

Half this thread is simply just people complaining about xplorenet.
Nov 12, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Xplornet is scary. Had it for two years and what a waist of money. Sort of works fine very early in the morning and then they apply what they call "equalization" software, which really means throttling. They slow it down to a crawl so often that it's maddening. I have a feeling your telus smart hub is just faulty and I would demand a new one and be done with it. There is just no way it can drop to around 1mbps and not be faulty. It happens, just like the problem I had with my telus router that they would never admit too. Telus is ok for the most part, but sometimes they can drive you nuts when they won't admit to a defect.
Mar 29, 2017
2 posts
I just got off the phone with a telus rep - was totally going to use the reuter away from rural zones as I wanted for use in a camper van to drive all over the country.. so I guess it's really true, they'll shut me down or increases the charges when I'm away from my activation zone ? That sucks !!

Has anyone managed to get away with using this as a truly mobile setup ?
Nov 12, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Somehow I doubt they will shut you down or increase charges. It says in the contract it is basically canada wide and you just need to be aware of the towns that you should not use it in as per their list.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3004 posts
504 upvotes
Alberta
I read today Telus is starting to shut down this offer for specific areas due to tower congestion.

So if you want it, you better get on it.
Jul 26, 2011
2 posts
Strathmore, Alberta
Where did you read that? do you know what areas / towers?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3004 posts
504 upvotes
Alberta
NSANDCC wrote: Where did you read that? do you know what areas / towers?
Some local chat groups in my area. No list.
Feb 24, 2017
26 posts
10 upvotes
I'm using it on Vancouver Island as I type this (Langford BC). I've been debating about getting a second one, but maybe I should.

To the person who said that they may be ceasing to offer it in their area, what area is that?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3004 posts
504 upvotes
Alberta
MassDeduction wrote: I'm using it on Vancouver Island as I type this (Langford BC). I've been debating about getting a second one, but maybe I should.

To the person who said that they may be ceasing to offer it in their area, what area is that?
Edmonton area
Jul 26, 2011
2 posts
Strathmore, Alberta
I hear its the entire Division 11 area of Alberta. Which is Edmonton and the surrounding area.
May 1, 2009
6 posts
1 upvote
edm
Telus has been horrible to deal with on this service. We live in a rural area that is on their list of approved communities in Southern Alberta and they wont active the hub. Very disappointed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)