Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Telus Mobility

Winback Offer $45 25GB BYOD (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2022 1:43 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
tofinoguy wrote: Prices have definitely come down and data buckets increased over the last few years. Even before this offer, it's been relatively easy to get a 20GB plan for around $65. That would have been unheard of a few years ago. Competition between the big 3 has definitely impacted prices and plans for the better.
You're beginning to sound like a Big 3 lobbyist. Actually, it seems you are:
tofinoguy wrote: This winback offer literally is Telus being competitive!
CRTC does not regulate rates - that's the exact opposite of competition.
Nov 15, 2019
17 posts
159 upvotes
Got the plan without a hitch. Already had a Koodo account under my name so I opened a new one with a BC number under the name of a family member last Friday. Went to Walmart Wireless kiosk today and got the $9 (well, more like $14) texting-only plan on Freedom Prepaid. Had them port my new Koodo plan's number right then and there; it took ~1.5 hours to transfer over.

Called 833-348-3589 1 hour after the port was complete and the first agent that picked up was happy to set it all up. Total wait time was ~2 minutes. He required 2 pieces of ID, a credit check, and a residential address— my Ontario address worked just fine. Note that you have to wait until the physical Telus SIM card arrives to port your actual phone number in.

Good luck to you all!
Last edited by okzoomer on Sep 21st, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 2, 2017
474 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
tofinoguy wrote: Prices have definitely come down and data buckets increased over the last few years. Even before this offer, it's been relatively easy to get a 20GB plan for around $65. That would have been unheard of a few years ago. Competition between the big 3 has definitely impacted prices and plans for the better.
Lol good one. The only reason why this Winback offer even exists is because of Shaw/Freedom. So you definitely can't say it's due to competition between the big 3 when it's not.

If Shaw didn't buy out WIND/invest more money in it we would be back with our high priced data plans.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1187 posts
1228 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tofinoguy wrote: For post-paid you'll receive a full refund of the month apart from the $20 activation fee based on their 15 day trial period policy. As long as you don't use more than half of your data allowance.
I'm not sure if it's free for 15 days. I've ported out within 15 days and never got a full refund (from any carrier) on postpaid. It's just pro-rated for the days you use. The 15 day trial period is for cellphones and/or contracts because a month-to-month plan can be cancelled at any time.

Also post-paid there's a credit hit. You're opening and closing a new account also, which doesn't look good on your credit report. Prepaid there's no credit hit so no open/closing a credit account.
Last edited by DreamSanctuary on Sep 21st, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tofinoguy wrote: For post-paid you'll receive a full refund of the month apart from the $20 activation fee based on their 15 day trial period policy. As long as you don't use more than half of your data allowance.
So I guess it's either $20 activation for a post-paid plan, or $29 for the lowest prepaid plan that has data as the cost for doing this switch. In the end, it's worth it.

I see many have confirmed they were able to go from Koodo -> Freedom -> Telus. Is that because Koodo is part of Telus so from the point of Telus winback it's getting a customer back? I am currently with Koodo and I prefer to stay with Koodo, but I'm wondering if I still have a choice to go back to Koodo. Is there a different winback number for Koodo?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1187 posts
1228 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rvs007 wrote: So I guess it's either $20 activation for a post-paid plan, or $29 for the lowest prepaid plan that has data as the cost for doing this switch. In the end, it's worth it.

I see many have confirmed they were able to go from Koodo -> Freedom -> Telus. Is that because Koodo is part of Telus so from the point of Telus winback it's getting a customer back? I am currently with Koodo and I prefer to stay with Koodo, but I'm wondering if I still have a choice to go back to Koodo. Is there a different winback number for Koodo?
You cannot get this plan from Koodo. Telus owns Koodo, which is why they're offering it to Koodo customers too. I'm in the same boat because with Koodo you can get phones, on Telus with this plan you lose unlimited international text + cannot get any phone without changing plans.

Also, Koodo doesn't hike prices. Telus does. The plan is however better than any Koodo offer, which is why it's tough.
Aug 20, 2019
719 posts
932 upvotes
Calgary, AB
rvs007 wrote: So I guess it's either $20 activation for a post-paid plan, or $29 for the lowest prepaid plan that has data as the cost for doing this switch. In the end, it's worth it.

Yes that is exactly why. When you leave Koodo, you are essentially leaving Telus because Telus owns Koodo. So for you to go from Koodo --> Freedom --> Telus, would be seen by Telus as them getting a customer back.

If you leave your current Koodo plan and then decide you want to go back to Koodo, you may or may not still get your old plan back. There's no guarantee. This is why leaving an already good thing (good plan from Koodo if you have one) and trying to get a better one from Telus, is a risk.
Jun 11, 2017
394 posts
1070 upvotes
Timeline of my evening with my 416 Telus number (based in Toronto):

• Went to Walmart and signed up for the cheapest Freedom Mobile pre-paid (no credit check) plan they had with data. (8:00)
  • Instantly got a text message warning me that someone was trying to port my number. Porting happened about 35 minutes later (8:35)
  • Called the 1-866 number listed in the thread after popping the Freedom SIM into my phone. (8:40)
  • Was immediately offered the 25GB plan. Just finished up with the agent on the phone. SIM card arriving at my house in 3-5 days. (8:55)
  • Have to call 1-877-868-3587 once the SIM card arrives so they can finish the port-in of my existing number.

Thanks OP!
Last edited by lardiop1 on Sep 21st, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aug 20, 2019
719 posts
932 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DreamSanctuary wrote: You cannot get this plan from Koodo. Telus owns Koodo, which is why they're offering it to Koodo customers too. I'm in the same boat because with Koodo you can get phones, on Telus with this plan you lose unlimited international text + cannot get any phone without changing plans.

Also, Koodo doesn't hike prices. Telus does. The plan is however better than any Koodo offer, which is why it's tough.
Telus will probably hike up the price on this plan again. I'm assuming at the end of this quarter for Shaw/Freedom when their numbers take a hit if a lot of customers leave them but I also don't know, in regards to Black Friday & Boxing Day (Week) deals.

In my opinion, if you know your data usage & limits and already have a pretty good & cheap plan with Koodo then it's safer to just stay and not have a price increase a few months later.
Aug 20, 2019
719 posts
932 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DreamSanctuary wrote: You cannot get this plan from Koodo. Telus owns Koodo, which is why they're offering it to Koodo customers too. I'm in the same boat because with Koodo you can get phones, on Telus with this plan you lose unlimited international text + cannot get any phone without changing plans.

Telus will probably hike up the price on this plan again. I'm assuming at the end of this quarter for Shaw/Freedom when their numbers take a hit if a lot of customers leave them but I also don't know, in regards to Black Friday & Boxing Day (Week) deals.

In my opinion, if you know your data usage & limits and already have a pretty good & cheap plan with Koodo then it's safer to just stay and not have a price increase a few months later.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON

I meant I'm still planning to port out to Freedom (already have a sim card being sent to me), but I'm just curious why Telus winback would accept someone who ported out from Koodo. But as you said, since Koodo & Telus are a family, I guess from Telus's point of view, they are gaining back a customer from the Telus/Koodo family. I just hope Koodo winback will be able to offer me this deal because my preference would be to go back to Koodo.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kapid11 wrote: If you leave your current Koodo plan and then decide you want to go back to Koodo, you may or may not still get your old plan back. There's no guarantee. This is why leaving an already good thing (good plan from Koodo if you have one) and trying to get a better one from Telus, is a risk.
I've got nothing to lose. I've only been a Koodo customer for a week on their $50/9GB plan (previously was a long-time Rogers customer since 1996). I'm still miffed that I haven't gotten any calls from Rogers winback. It seems Rogers is only offering this winback plan for BC/AB customers at the moment. It would be easier for me if Rogers offered this winback deal in ON. Then I wouldn't need to jump through the extra hoops of porting out to Freedom and back.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1187 posts
1228 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rvs007 wrote: I meant I'm still planning to port out to Freedom (already have a sim card being sent to me), but I'm just curious why Telus winback would accept someone who ported out from Koodo. But as you said, since Koodo & Telus are a family, I guess from Telus's point of view, they are gaining back a customer from the Telus/Koodo family. I just hope Koodo winback will be able to offer me this deal because my preference would be to go back to Koodo.
This plan is only with Telus. Just a FYI before you port. It's either your current plan with Koodo or this plan with Telus. The OP claims he was somehow able to get this plan with Koodo but so far no one else has been able to.
Aug 20, 2019
719 posts
932 upvotes
Calgary, AB
rvs007 wrote: I meant I'm still planning to port out to Freedom (already have a sim card being sent to me), but I'm just curious why Telus winback would accept someone who ported out from Koodo. But as you said, since Koodo & Telus are a family, I guess from Telus's point of view, they are gaining back a customer from the Telus/Koodo family. I just hope Koodo winback will be able to offer me this deal because my preference would be to go back to Koodo.
They would accept you (give you the $45/25GB plan) because you are not porting directly from Koodo --> Telus. You are porting from Koodo --> Freedom. Then Telus sees that you are now with their competitor so they offer you the 25GB plan to bring you back, thus the porting to Freedom in the first place.

Koodo winback will not offer you this deal with Koodo. They will transfer you over to Telus if they offer you this deal and you accept.
Aug 20, 2019
719 posts
932 upvotes
Calgary, AB
DreamSanctuary wrote: This plan is only with Telus. Just a FYI before you port. It's either your current plan with Koodo or this plan with Telus. The OP claims he was somehow able to get this plan with Koodo but so far no one else has been able to.
Still waiting for the OP to post his plan with Koodo showing the plan detail but no proof has been shown yet. At first I thought maybe OP got them mixed up & actually has the plan with Telus but thinks he has it with Koodo but then they said they also got a tab so I'm still holding out hope on OP that they were lucky enough to get the plan with Koodo.. at least one of us was lucky Lol
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lardiop1 wrote: Timeline of my evening with my 416 Telus number (based in Toronto):

• Went to Walmart and signed up for the cheapest Freedom Mobile post-paid (no credit check) plan they had with data. (8:00)
  • Instantly got a text message warning me that someone was trying to port my number. Porting happened about 35 minutes later (8:35)
  • Called the 1-866 number listed in the thread after popping the Freedom SIM into my phone. (8:40)
  • Was immediately offered the 25GB plan. Just finished up with the agent on the phone. (8:55)
Do you mean pre-paid? So the cheapest pre-paid plan with data is their $29/mo. plan right?

I wonder if I should just go to a kiosk and get on a pre-paid plan and get this all done within a day like you. If I've already ordered a sim from Freedom online (which will arrive in 3-5 business days), will I still be able to go to a kiosk tomorrow and picking up a prepaid sim at Walmart and getting on a Freedom plan?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1187 posts
1228 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rvs007 wrote: I've got nothing to lose. I've only been a Koodo customer for a week on their $50/9GB plan (previously was a long-time Rogers customer since 1996). I'm still miffed that I haven't gotten any calls from Rogers winback. It seems Rogers is only offering this winback plan for BC/AB customers at the moment. It would be easier for me if Rogers offered this winback deal in ON. Then I wouldn't need to jump through the extra hoops of porting out to Freedom and back.
Hmm, let us know if you qualify. I don't know if anyone in this thread has opened a new line and successfully got the plan. A week is fairly new, that's not even one billing cycle, but you really got nothing to lose since you're on an in-market plan.
Jun 11, 2017
394 posts
1070 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: Do you mean pre-paid? So the cheapest pre-paid plan with data is their $29/mo. plan right?

I wonder if I should just go to a kiosk and get on a pre-paid plan and get this all done within a day like you. If I've already ordered a sim from Freedom online (which will arrive in 3-5 business days), will I still be able to go to a kiosk tomorrow and picking up a prepaid sim at Walmart and getting on a Freedom plan?
Yes, I meant pre-paid. Edited my post.
Aug 20, 2019
719 posts
932 upvotes
Calgary, AB
rvs007 wrote: I've got nothing to lose. I've only been a Koodo customer for a week on their $50/9GB plan (previously was a long-time Rogers customer since 1996). I'm still miffed that I haven't gotten any calls from Rogers winback. It seems Rogers is only offering this winback plan for BC/AB customers at the moment. It would be easier for me if Rogers offered this winback deal in ON. Then I wouldn't need to jump through the extra hoops of porting out to Freedom and back.
Then yeah it's not too bad, you have nothing to lose yeah.

It definitely would be easier if Rogers offered this Winback deal in ON for you but unfortunately a business will only do what is in its best interest, and thus the telecoms are only mainly doing this in response to Shaw/Freedom in BC/AB taking away their customers.
Sep 9, 2015
297 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
The whole ‘full refund by cancelling’ on Freedom is misleading here.

You need to know that your Telus/Koodo number moved out to Freedom to get this deal.

For Postpaid:
If you manage to score the deal with Telus, you will need to port your number from Freedom to Telus which means you used the service, didn’t like and moved out. SO, you pay for what you used. An example - if your plan is $30 and you used it for 5 days, you pay $20 (activation fees) + $5 + tax and say byeeee to freedom.

A full refund will only be honoured if you bought the service, didn’t like it and went back to the store and returned everything as is and therefore cancelling your account (hence losing your number)

I hope this is much more clear and has been repeated several times over this thread but people keep repeating incomplete info.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)