• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2021 3:55 am
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
268 posts
151 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

[YMMV]$55/line, unlimited data and calls, unsure if this is a scam

Received a phone call from +1.(647) 505-4891. My friend did, too (he is on Telus, but I am on Rogers and I was with Public Mobile earlier).

The chap claimed to be calling from Telus contact centre and not from any partner or franchise/reseller (couldn't find any lead on Google).

Offer: $55, unlimited 5G data, calling and texting (in Canada). U.S. add-on $2. International texting add-on $10. Waiver of connection fee. And $100 bill credit IF we opted for a device.

English clearly wasn't his first language, so after some prodding and speaking to a 'supervisor', I was told this rate was only valid if one ported in four lines. Rates, otherwise, were $75 (one line), $65 (two lines) or $60 (three lines). I was also informed there is a 30GB cap for 5G data, following which speeds would be 4G and NOT 128/512 kbps.

I tried searching online but couldn't find anything... Neither did I receive an e-mail (the 'supervisor' said he would e-mail me all details and even took down my e-mail address). And funnily enough, calling the # back takes me to an uninitialized Rogers voicemail-box Face With Tears Of Joy

Figured I'd check here on RFD if anyone received a similar call or offer from Telus.
Last edited by kartnite on Aug 26th, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
11 replies
Nov 12, 2014
978 posts
662 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Wrong forum - post to cell phone discussion pls.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5304 posts
2953 upvotes
GTA
Pretty common scam

If you receive an email, itll look like a form someone made in excel and riddled with grammatical mistakes
Last edited by Dave98 on Aug 26th, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2017
1364 posts
1627 upvotes
Vancouver
This sounds sketch. ESPECIALLY if the callback # is a rogers inbox.

Next time ask for their rep ID.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2686 posts
776 upvotes
You know you live in Canada when an otherwise reasonable data plan in any other country is likely a scam here.
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
268 posts
151 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
RedStrikeCa wrote:
So you have to port 4 lines over to Telus to get the deal? I guess I'm not eligible.
Yep, if at all this is 'true'.
QN5252 wrote: Wrong forum - post to cell phone discussion pls.
Ooops, I've reported and requested the mods to move it.
Dave98 wrote: Pretty common scam

If you receive an email, itll look like a form someone made us in excel and riddled with grammatical mistakes
Ha ha ha, will have an eye out for it then. He did say the e-mail would come from Telus, lol.
oneyedpirate wrote: This sounds sketch. ESPECIALLY if the callback # is a rogers inbox.

Next time ask for their rep ID.
Oh super, thank you, will bear that in mind next time I receive such a call. A pity such people know my number and e-mail then (although the e-mail is not my primary e-mail).

Yes, it did go to a Rogers inbox. The only reason I tried calling back was to see if it would reach someone. The 'supervisor' chap said it was a big contact centre and the call could be received by anyone. What puzzled me was when he said calls could not be forwarded to him either, even if he were the 'supervisor'.

And gosh that fake accent... I'd like to think Telus would invest in better voice coaches/accent trainers for their contact centres (if at all they do so or I guess its all outsourced regardless).
RFDler wrote: SCAMMMM
klover wrote: You know you live in Canada when an otherwise reasonable data plan in any other country is likely a scam here.
LOL; that's a lesson for this newcomer Face With Tears Of Joy
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
Apr 29, 2018
232 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Scam. Period.
Mother of all necessities ---> RFD
Mar 3, 2018
127 posts
119 upvotes
I have a similar plan to this, but 43.37 for 20GB.. had to port in 4 numbers.

Why not call TELUS sales and see if they can verify the plan or match it.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
My guess is this is the standard business plan grey market kijiji thing. Interesting that they're cold calling people to try to get them to sign up for it now, though.
Oct 10, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
kartnite wrote: Received a phone call from +1.(647) 505-4891. My friend did, too (he is on Telus, but I am on Rogers and I was with Public Mobile earlier).

The chap claimed to be calling from Telus contact centre and not from any partner or franchise/reseller (couldn't find any lead on Google).

Offer: $55, unlimited 5G data, calling and texting (in Canada). U.S. add-on $2. International texting add-on $10. Waiver of connection fee. And $100 bill credit IF we opted for a device.

English clearly wasn't his first language, so after some prodding and speaking to a 'supervisor', I was told this rate was only valid if one ported in four lines. Rates, otherwise, were $75 (one line), $65 (two lines) or $60 (three lines). I was also informed there is a 30GB cap for 5G data, following which speeds would be 4G and NOT 128/512 kbps.

I tried searching online but couldn't find anything... Neither did I receive an e-mail (the 'supervisor' said he would e-mail me all details and even took down my e-mail address). And funnily enough, calling the # back takes me to an uninitialized Rogers voicemail-box Face With Tears Of Joy

Figured I'd check here on RFD if anyone received a similar call or offer from Telus.
I haven't found any complaints regarding this number at https://phonebook.ai/647-505-4891.html. I never get any similar calls regarding this data plans. For me, if it's too good to be true, then it is. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy