• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2009 9:20 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1838 posts
268 upvotes
Grimsby, ON

Telus : No unlimited data for a Hero/iPhone

So I want to get a Hero preferably, or an iPhone if it gives me more leverage for getting a better price, but I'm currently in a Telus contract with just under 2 years left.

I have a relatively decent plan. The Sweet Deal 20 + 250 txt, CD, VM & unlimited data for $60/month.

I've only spoken to a guy in the store so far, but he said I "definitely" wouldn't be able to keep that plan. Now, is that just a business decision with Telus, or is it because I physically cannot use the same CDMA plan with the new HSPA network?

My bet is that they don't want me to actually be capable of FINALLY using my unlimited data plan with a GOOD phone.

The closest comparable plan to what I have now, with the new HSPA plans is around $130/month. Ridiculous.
26 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
That is a Telus decision. It looks like you're actually paying a decent price your unlimited data, unlike the people on Bell who are upset their $7 unlimited plan isn't transferable.

That being said, how much data do you use now? 1gb should be more than enough unless you plan on streaming live TV all day long. The other day I tethered my cell phone to 3 laptops for basic web browsing for 2 hours and barely went over 100mb in data use. .
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1838 posts
268 upvotes
Grimsby, ON
Evil Baby wrote: That is a Telus decision. It looks like you're actually paying a decent price your unlimited data, unlike the people on Bell who are upset their $7 unlimited plan isn't transferable.

That being said, how much data do you use now? 1gb should be more than enough unless you plan on streaming live TV all day long. The other day I tethered my cell phone to 3 laptops for basic web browsing for 2 hours and barely went over 100mb in data use. .
I will be using the Hero (or iPhone) to stream music through Spotify, which can add up over a few hours of 192kbps mp3's.

I would be willing to give up my unlimited data, and go for the 3GB of data but I refuse to pay anything on top of my current plan.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1838 posts
268 upvotes
Grimsby, ON
So I just got off the phone with Telus, and they said they would take away my unlimited data, but KEEP my voiceplan and add 6GB data transfer, for $15 more/month than I'm paying now. This is for either the iPhone or HTC Hero, which given their 14 day return policy, I'll be able to take advantage of testing it out.

So roughly $75 /month for :
200 anytime minutes
free eve/wknd starting at 6pm
CD, VM, 250 TXT
6GB data

Crossing my fingers that the girl on the phone knew what the hell she was talking about.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bibowski wrote: So roughly $75 /month for :
200 anytime minutes
free eve/wknd starting at 6pm
CD, VM, 250 TXT
6GB data

Crossing my fingers that the girl on the phone knew what the hell she was talking about.
That is not a deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1379 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
Or you can buy the Hero outright, no-term, contract-free... sure it'll be $500 but at least you'll still have the plan you have now.

That's what I did. I'm with Rogers with a kickass voice and data plan, bought the Hero for full price, unlocked it and it's awesome.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
BuildBuyBreed wrote: Or you can buy the Hero outright, no-term, contract-free... sure it'll be $500 but at least you'll still have the plan you have now.

That's what I did. I'm with Rogers with a kickass voice and data plan, bought the Hero for full price, unlocked it and it's awesome.
That probably wont work with Telus because the OP will still require a new sim card as the OP will be going from a CDMA phone to a HDSPA phone. When the OP activates the new sim card Telus might force the OP to switch the plan up saying the current plan is not compatible with HDSPA phones.
Nov 23, 2004
719 posts
21 upvotes
Quarry Bay
It's not a technical problem; it's a business decision. Simply put, $15/$25 unlimited data plans are not profitable for TELUS if you use a lot of data.

If you do a swap yourself, you should be able to keep your voice plan and features, except for data, which will automatically fall off your account. If you have one of those grandfathered unlimited plan, you will most likely not be able to add it back. Reps don't have access to the codes for those grandfathered features anymore.

- Jason
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4675 upvotes
Ottawa
jyeung wrote: It's not a technical problem; it's a business decision. Simply put, $15/$25 unlimited data plans are not profitable for TELUS if you use a lot of data.
- Jason
Just wondering what you base this on. Do you have any numbers to support this?

Personally, I don't think they are losing money even if you are using 1TB/month on a $15 plan. I think it's simply 'not as profitable as it could be' (i.e. they could charge you $100/month instead of $15/month ...
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1838 posts
268 upvotes
Grimsby, ON
Well I ended up getting a 6GB HSPA data plan for $30 month, instead of unlimited CDMA for $15.

All in all, my monthly bill is $75 (after tax) for 100 daytime minutes, unltd eve/wknd 6pm, CD, VM, 250 TXT and 6GB of Data.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 23, 2009
5664 posts
5542 upvotes
bibowski wrote: Well I ended up getting a 6GB HSPA data plan for $30 month, instead of unlimited CDMA for $15.

All in all, my monthly bill is $75 (after tax) for 100 daytime minutes, unltd eve/wknd 6pm, CD, VM, 250 TXT and 6GB of Data.
Pretty bad plan. Call in to retention in a month or so and change that plan up. I'm sure Telus must have retention plans comparable to rogers retention and theres also a thread for it in Hot Deals Forum

I get 250 DT, unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings at 5pm, CID, VM, 6GB data, 100 LD for under 45 bucks TOTAL. Since you've been paying at least $60 a month you may have enough leverage to negotiate yours.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1838 posts
268 upvotes
Grimsby, ON
What do I say when they say "That deal doesn't exist, we don't go on what you say you saw on a forum".

Also, which type of phone are you using with that plan?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 23, 2009
5664 posts
5542 upvotes
bibowski wrote: What do I say when they say "That deal doesn't exist, we don't go on what you say you saw on a forum".

Also, which type of phone are you using with that plan?
First you dont talk to regular agents you talk to retention agents. I'm not sure how it goes with Telus but you may have to say "cancel" when u call in or just tell the first rep you get how you were negotiating with a retention rep but the call got cut and you'd like to continue your talk with a retention rep. Don't do this on sunday as they are closed (my friend did this and I laughed). From there you can negotiate.

I have an iphone 3gs
Nov 23, 2004
719 posts
21 upvotes
Quarry Bay
michelb wrote: Just wondering what you base this on. Do you have any numbers to support this?

Personally, I don't think they are losing money even if you are using 1TB/month on a $15 plan. I think it's simply 'not as profitable as it could be' (i.e. they could charge you $100/month instead of $15/month ...
$15 a month is a very reasonable charge. 1TB a month is considered as abuse as it affects the experience of others if you continuously use the network like that. Look at the problem AT&T is having with their 3G network simply from the many iPhones on the network.

I've seen wireless companies around the world, and a $15 data plan like TELUS had for CDMA is far and few in between. Even the United States doesn't have these.

- Jason
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
jyeung wrote: $15 a month is a very reasonable charge. 1TB a month is considered as abuse as it affects the experience of others if you continuously use the network like that. Look at the problem AT&T is having with their 3G network simply from the many iPhones on the network.
- Jason
Although 1TB a month would indeed be abuse, normal data usage I'd say 10gigs or less imo wouldn't be. It's hard to use AT&T as an example. It's not the use of data that is breaking their system, it's AT&T being too cheap to add more towers. They made 3.14 Billion in 2008. I wonder how much of that they actually invested in upgrading their systems to handle all the new users.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
ahbitheman wrote: I get 250 DT, unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings at 5pm, CID, VM, 6GB data, 100 LD for under 45 bucks TOTAL. Since you've been paying at least $60 a month you may have enough leverage to negotiate yours.
You must be on Rogers? Never heard of anyone on Telus getting 6Gb of data on an iphone. I think Telus customers would be lucky to get 1Gb of data for what you are paying.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 23, 2009
5664 posts
5542 upvotes
cdnNick wrote: You must be on Rogers? Never heard of anyone on Telus getting 6Gb of data on an iphone. I think Telus customers would be lucky to get 1Gb of data for what you are paying.
Yep I'm with Rogers. 6gbs is essential for me too. I've eaten up 500 mbs in last three days
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
ahbitheman wrote: Yep I'm with Rogers. 6gbs is essential for me too. I've eaten up 500 mbs in last three days
500MB is a joke for the phones they are releasing just like a few years ago when it was $25/4mb it's almost useless. I don't think the 6gb plan is even available at rogers any more, pretty sure it was a promo, so we would have a hard time squeezing that out of telus.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
cdnNick wrote: 500MB is a joke for the phones they are releasing just like a few years ago when it was $25/4mb it's almost useless. I don't think the 6gb plan is even available at rogers any more, pretty sure it was a promo, so we would have a hard time squeezing that out of telus.
If you're not streaming video or radio then 500 mb's it actually a fair amount. If you're tethering, that's not going to be allowed next year without another fee.

Unless of course your phone is jail broken or rooted, then you should be able to get around it

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)