• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 2:17 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2014
201 posts
72 upvotes
Brampton, ON

Telus penalty for breaking contract

Hi, I am on Telus EPP 2 years contract. "My Telus" shows the following in "Device" section.

TELUS Easy Payment® balance (9 months left): $375.75

So that means my phone balance left $375.75. I understand that if I switch provider at this time, I will have to pay this amount to Telus. Will there be any other penalty also?
6 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19959 posts
8054 upvotes
Toronto
How about asking Telus? I don't know RFD can give you a better answer than the company that you are on contract with.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2182 posts
1232 upvotes
Calgary
Does it say anything about a device discount? If so, that will apply as well.
Nov 3, 2020
99 posts
68 upvotes
"The Commission limited the maximum early cancellation fee to the remaining value of the handset, i.e. the amount of the device subsidy offered to the customer at the time of purchase that has not been recouped when the wireless service contract is cancelled. Specifically, if a customer cancels a wireless service contract before the end of the commitment period, a WSP must not charge the customer any fee or penalty other than the early cancellation fee, calculated in accordance with the formula in the Wireless Code, which limited the early cancellation fee as follows:
if a subsidized device is provided with the contract: the maximum number of months over which an early cancellation fee can be applied is the lesser of 24 months or the total number of months in the contract term, and this fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy; or
if a subsidized device is not provided with the contract: the early cancellation fee is the lesser of $50 or 10% of the minimum monthly charge for the remaining months of the contract, up to a maximum of 24 months for fixed‑term contracts."

Source: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-309.htm

tldr; there's no other fee
Veteran RFD
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18581 posts
2310 upvotes
Woodbridge
I figured all carriers pretty much the same...

Pay off the device balance.

What other penalties do carriers charge?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1526 posts
335 upvotes
Montreal
tor1deal wrote: Hi, I am on Telus EPP 2 years contract. "My Telus" shows the following in "Device" section.

TELUS Easy Payment® balance (9 months left): $375.75

So that means my phone balance left $375.75. I understand that if I switch provider at this time, I will have to pay this amount to Telus. Will there be any other penalty also?
Title of your topic is wrong
its not a "penalty"
its just paying what you left owed on your phone Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Jan 27, 2021
2 posts
1 upvote
There will be no other penalty. They will just have you pay out the phone balance. If there are any days left in the month they will charge you for those days. So say 15 days into your month if you have a plan of $75 it would be divided by the days left and have to pay those days you have used