• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2022 8:18 pm
Member
User avatar
Aug 1, 2009
263 posts
221 upvotes
Ontario
MaDgamEr wrote: Not a scam, when you go through smartcell to set up a new plan they are transparent in charging the $40 admin fee and it also covers your sim. It's essentially their service fee for setting things up for you. The $50 is a Telus connection fee that has been waived.
IT is a scam, AVOID SMARTCELL there are other companies that offer EPP rates and free shipping, I went to the telus store in person and they were able to give me the EPP pricing ... They get their commission sales, yet still want to charge extra. It is a scam.
Newbie
Sep 21, 2019
18 posts
8 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: you can turn off roaming and use a vpn , people have said no issues with wifi calling abroad by using a vpn
Thanks that’s probably a good option. I’ve never used a vpn on a mobile device. My only experience with a vpn was through work. I’ll have to look into it. Do you have to pay a monthly fee or any downside to using a vpn?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1434 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: you can turn off roaming and use a vpn , people have said no issues with wifi calling abroad by using a vpn
How can you turn off voice / sms roaming on Telus iPhone? I know there is an option for data roaming but I don't see an option for voice / sms roaming?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6352 posts
5406 upvotes
bingo_jake wrote: How can you turn off voice / sms roaming on Telus iPhone? I know there is an option for data roaming but I don't see an option for voice / sms roaming?
basically airplane mode and only turn on wifi
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6352 posts
5406 upvotes
AlphaBeta76 wrote: Thanks that’s probably a good option. I’ve never used a vpn on a mobile device. My only experience with a vpn was through work. I’ll have to look into it. Do you have to pay a monthly fee or any downside to using a vpn?
some are free (eg tunnel bear)...i use surfshark because it's like $3.x a mth...i use it to get around geoblocks mostly and while travelling or access streaming on my computer from other locations
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1802 posts
637 upvotes
Ottawa
Is anyone able to confirm that there is a Boxing Day promo going on? I heard from some friends that had previously signed onto Telus EPP that there are Boxing Day promos now being released. One item to note is that tablet and smartphones are being offered up at $5/device instead of the $10/device is normally is on the Unlimited plans.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1434 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: basically airplane mode and only turn on wifi
so If I turn on airplane mode, does WiFi calling still work (assuming I have WiFi with a Canadian VPN)?
Member
User avatar
Jul 30, 2006
258 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
EPP w/ my company during black friday event

There no additional fees just . They should not charge on top .



Just a FYI the moment you order and they process the order is your start date EVEN if you have not receive the sim card yet.

It took 7 days for the sim card to be delivered. I had to argue over chat for 1 hr to credit for those 7 days.

They argue for you to keep the promotion they have to set the start date and fee the moment your order is process regardless if you did not get the SIM card yet.


I used the argument if they had the option to pick up the sim card via in Store was not available and that they should the date when the sim card activated by inserting sim card into the device.
2 many gadgets, not enough cash or space
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2017
921 posts
695 upvotes
abirdd wrote: IT is a scam, AVOID SMARTCELL there are other companies that offer EPP rates and free shipping, I went to the telus store in person and they were able to give me the EPP pricing ... They get their commission sales, yet still want to charge extra. It is a scam.
I came here looking for answers to this very issue.

I am looking at Telus EPP now and about to check out on the 50/month 20gb plan and it's saying "SmartCell charges a $40 fee to help us cover our processing costs for BYOD transactions."

Rogers EPP only charged $20 for the sim card... and even with that I was kind of choked up.
Sr. Member
Nov 21, 2004
576 posts
47 upvotes
Choco wrote: EPP w/ my company during black friday event

There no additional fees just . They should not charge on top .



Just a FYI the moment you order and they process the order is your start date EVEN if you have not receive the sim card yet.

It took 7 days for the sim card to be delivered. I had to argue over chat for 1 hr to credit for those 7 days.

They argue for you to keep the promotion they have to set the start date and fee the moment your order is process regardless if you did not get the SIM card yet.


I used the argument if they had the option to pick up the sim card via in Store was not available and that they should the date when the sim card activated by inserting sim card into the device.
I got charged too before SIM card arrived. Chatted with EPP online chat. Then in person for 5 minutes, then they zeroed out my amount owing. Depends on the agent.
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2017
921 posts
695 upvotes
TestAcc wrote: I just got my Telus EPP SIM in the mail today (ordered Black Friday Nov 29), came (Mon Dec 6). [Compared to my brother who ordered Rogers Corp plan on Thur and came Sunday... very quick]. Telus also messed up my Address. I checked my initial order, and I had everything right. But on the letter mail, they took out the Apt #... The letter just got placed in the open near the mailboxes in my apartment building. Lucky I've been checking it regularly, and got it.

Letter came from Calgary, AB... arrived to Vancouver, BC. I did read one guy ordered it Sat (day after me), and got it last Wed, in Toronto... So I guess some Canada post mail goes quicker, even though Vancouver is a lot closer to Alberta. Maybe cuz of the floods.

I added the plan to MyTelus just fine, and ported my number from Koodo instantly over (no SMS required) (before initializing the SIM). No issues. Then I put the new SIM in, and everything is working fine.

I called the EPP support line, asked if VVM was included, they say only VM25. I said my previous provider gave it to me for free, and it was all set up on my phone... is there any promo's or anything Telus has to offer this to me for free? She said no promo's now, but she can do it for $5. I declined. She said call back again later, cuz new promos are added all the time.
I'm wondering if I should just go into store if this kind of delay is happening. That's not really acceptable to be waiting that long.
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2017
921 posts
695 upvotes
I just called stored and they told me the account has to be under my wife's name. Then when i asked what name will show when I call people, she said only the account owners name will show.

That's complete BS


I'm pretty close to going with Fido 17gb/50$ a month at this rate.
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2016
688 posts
475 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote: I just called stored and they told me the account has to be under my wife's name. Then when i asked what name will show when I call people, she said only the account owners name will show.

That's complete BS


I'm pretty close to going with Fido 17gb/50$ a month at this rate.
With Outbound Name Display it will show the account owner's name. But without it enabled, it will show your number and no name.
TELUS【 Mobility 】Unlimited 25GB | $30 | Unlimited US Calls & International Text, Visual Voicemail, for $0
◾Apple Watch
& Tablet access to data for $0
Bell【 Internet 】Gigabit Fibe 3Gbps | $99.95
Member
User avatar
Aug 1, 2009
263 posts
221 upvotes
Ontario
Jordanferras wrote: I came here looking for answers to this very issue.

I am looking at Telus EPP now and about to check out on the 50/month 20gb plan and it's saying "SmartCell charges a $40 fee to help us cover our processing costs for BYOD transactions."

Rogers EPP only charged $20 for the sim card... and even with that I was kind of choked up.
Any Telus store or telus retailer can give the same EPP prices, it is all fixed ... Smartcell is just greedy, or people do not know they can go elsewhere. They get paid regardless, this is just a money grab and not ethical ... The real telus store I went to could not believe they were getting away with that!
Jr. Member
Nov 30, 2015
160 posts
129 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
G-Unit!! wrote: I got charged too before SIM card arrived. Chatted with EPP online chat. Then in person for 5 minutes, then they zeroed out my amount owing. Depends on the agent.
One more data point here for calling in to get credited. I called and the guy didn't give me any hassle for getting me credited.

They can see when you actually popped the sim card into your phone and start accessing their network (that's what my agent did). They can also see where the card was shipped from and where you live to see if the unused portion of time looks about right.

It is totally reasonable for them to credit people for the unused days while the sim card is in transit.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 29, 2008
3775 posts
937 upvotes
illicit wrote: With Outbound Name Display it will show the account owner's name. But without it enabled, it will show your number and no name.
I think when I set up a second line they asked what I wanted the name display to be for it and I was able to give my wife’s name.
Newbie
Sep 21, 2019
18 posts
8 upvotes
bingo_jake wrote: so If I turn on airplane mode, does WiFi calling still work (assuming I have WiFi with a Canadian VPN)?
With Rogers we turne on airplane mode then turned on wifi and it works great. Any calls to Canada there is no charge. We have used lots all over the world including cruise ships. From what I’ve learned today it should work with Telus through a Vpn. Not crazy about using a vpn but I think it’s the only option with Telus
Member
User avatar
Jul 30, 2006
258 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Jordanferras wrote: I just called stored and they told me the account has to be under my wife's name. Then when i asked what name will show when I call people, she said only the account owners name will show.

That's complete BS


I'm pretty close to going with Fido 17gb/50$ a month at this rate.
You can change the display name (caller ID) through Telus. I did it for the 3 lines under my account

1. Go telus -> sign in -> my profile -> click on hyper link change subscriber name
2. Change the name
-- if you want to modify a different line, click "Change subscriber"


OR go to https://www.telus.com/my-telus/name-change
2 many gadgets, not enough cash or space
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 5, 2006
2288 posts
427 upvotes
Торонто
Choco wrote: You can change the display name (caller ID) through Telus. I did it for the 3 lines under my account

1. Go telus -> sign in -> my profile -> click on hyper link change subscriber name
2. Change the name
-- if you want to modify a different line, click "Change subscriber"


OR go to https://www.telus.com/my-telus/name-change
Will it actually show the names when calling? From what I understand, the change subscriber name is more for the account holder to distinguish between the different lines
.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)