• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2022 8:18 pm
Jun 21, 2007
130 posts
17 upvotes
Dealing with Telus EPP is a massive ball-ache.

I added a standalone watch line listed for $5 and had to talk with their people on the phone 4-5 times to get it sorted.

Issues ranged from them asking me 3 times for what phone number this was supposed to pair with (that line gets its own number, assigned by them), so them not actually having a $5 plan in the system despite being offered in the portal. They finally got me set up, and my phone couldn't find the line, so they just told me to accept a new line through the portal through my watch app. Probably 2 hours on the phone just to add a plan listed on their site.

TLDR; EPP is cheap, but be prepared for useless support / sales people and headaches whenever you need anything adjusted.
Jun 20, 2007
229 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
Posted this in another Telus EPP thread, but fits here too:

Just an FYI to anyone on an existing Telus EPP plan: I called Telus today to ask if I could get switched to the $50/20GB BYOD plan (even though it's supposed to be only for new activations) and they agreed without any hassle whatsoever.

I did (very politely) tell them that I qualified for Rogers' identical EPP plan and would switch over if they didn't give me the $50 plan—which was 100% true—but I don't know if that was necessary. They also offered me a $55/25 GB plan, but I chose the cheaper one instead.
Nov 30, 2019
382 posts
356 upvotes
Definitely YMMV

I had a wonderful and friendly rep who switched me to it no problem.
Nov 30, 2019
382 posts
356 upvotes
inanimate wrote: Dealing with Telus EPP is a massive ball-ache.

I added a standalone watch line listed for $5 and had to talk with their people on the phone 4-5 times to get it sorted.

Issues ranged from them asking me 3 times for what phone number this was supposed to pair with (that line gets its own number, assigned by them), so them not actually having a $5 plan in the system despite being offered in the portal. They finally got me set up, and my phone couldn't find the line, so they just told me to accept a new line through the portal through my watch app. Probably 2 hours on the phone just to add a plan listed on their site.

TLDR; EPP is cheap, but be prepared for useless support / sales people and headaches whenever you need anything adjusted.
That’s frustrating. Sounds like my previous experiences with Rogers lol.

Nice regarding the 5$ Watch line…it’s 10$ for me with EPP (to add a watch or tablet line). I have to finance a new smart watch through then if I want the 5$ line.
5$ is great for a watch. 10$ is a bit too much
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2093 posts
1059 upvotes
Home
If you call the personive number on the other thread you'll get 30 GB pretty easy.
Jun 21, 2007
130 posts
17 upvotes
The $5 was a mistake, but they were willing to honour it for 2 years with a $5 credit every month. It also came with a stupid $45 activation fee. Agree that at $5 it's great, at $10 it's a real stretch.
Aug 7, 2015
176 posts
119 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Does anyone know if Telus does a brand new credit check if you open a new EPP account after closing one within the last week?
Jan 2, 2019
96 posts
89 upvotes
NefariousFIG wrote: Posted this in another Telus EPP thread, but fits here too:

Just an FYI to anyone on an existing Telus EPP plan: I called Telus today to ask if I could get switched to the $50/20GB BYOD plan (even though it's supposed to be only for new activations) and they agreed without any hassle whatsoever.

I did (very politely) tell them that I qualified for Rogers' identical EPP plan and would switch over if they didn't give me the $50 plan—which was 100% true—but I don't know if that was necessary. They also offered me a $55/25 GB plan, but I chose the cheaper one instead.
This was not my experience..
They said there was nothing they could do.

I asked them that Telus would rather lose me to Rogers rather than lower my plan $10 (currently on $60 for 10GB) to give me what the other employees at my company are getting, and they simply replied with “yes”
Jun 20, 2007
229 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
tasmar09 wrote: This was not my experience..

I asked them that Telus would rather lose me to Rogers rather than lower my plan $10 (currently on $60 for 10GB) to give me what the other employees at my company are getting, and they simply replied with “yes”
Ah, sorry to hear; I guess it depends on which rep you get.

I was on a $63.75/20GB plan and the rep I spoke to was like "you've been a Telus customer for 10+ years, you always pay your bills on time...we'd much rather keep you than lose you to Rogers". The entire call took less than 5 minutes.
Mar 7, 2011
64 posts
99 upvotes
Cosmopolitan Surrey

Had something similar with Shaw a decade ago for home services ... so I said I would. The agent I was speaking to at the time quickly tried to backtrack, but I chuckled and hung up. Every time since that Shaw has contacted me, I reference this story--they've offered me some good deals (when I've taken their calls), but nothing that has made me want to go back in the end.
Dec 13, 2019
889 posts
810 upvotes
Speaking to reps is a real crap shoot really. Some are very nice and would bend over backwards for you if you asked nicely in most cases. Some shouldn't even be working the phone lines in the first place! Asking for anything is like pulling teeth and they won't even humour you by "asking for authorization or permission first". You're just outright denied.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the Telus EPP website on Boxing Day and got the BYOD $50 plan, which is a no-brainer for me. Currently waiting for my SIM card to arrive in the mail. For a limited time they also waived the $50 activation fee. So I'm basically switching over from my Rogers $50 retention plan which served me very well for the last 4 years and my bill stays the same.

For my situation it's an upgrade really:

• Telus voicemail has a 25 day retention period with the option of saving the voicemail another 25 days. Rogers is 10 days max and there's no option to further save the message another 10 days.
  • I can also save up to 25 voicemail messages at 3 minutes each. I haven't checked Rogers since I don't have a need for that many voicemail messages, but it's a nice to have with Telus.
  • I'm going to be getting 20 GB of unlimited "high speed" data (that's likely 5G if anyone can verify this, please do), with a downgrade to 512 kbps beyond the 20 GB quota instead of stopping dead completely or going into overages. Telus does not specify what "high speed" means, whether it is LTE or 5G. My Rogers plan currently offers 14 GB of LTE data (which is fine for me anyways), but I will go into overage if I use beyond the 14 GB. Even on LTE, it's still an upgrade for me since I'll have more data and won't incur overages.
  • The only thing I'm losing is the 2500 call forwarding minutes which I have never used and don't see myself using in the near future.
  • Actual retail price of this plan is $80/month.

Sadly, loyalty doesn't mean anything these days, which make the loyalty department a running joke and a redundancy. I've called Rogers loyalty many times in the past asking for any deals for loyalty customers and I've been told that because I haven't upgraded my device for several years (aka sign a contract) that I'm not eligible for more bonus data or lower monthly bill. Instead, they "offered" me more data for a higher monthly bill. Credit to them that my bill didn't change or spike all this time I was on the retention plan, so I'm grateful for that. To get unlimited data, you have to upgrade to a 5G plan on Rogers. They don't even have an option to offer unlimited data on LTE.

Btw, Bell has the same EPP offer available, but I don't know if they're still waiving the $50 activation fee.

I do also find that the EPP line is different from the regular Telus mobility line. You have to call the EPP line for everything and they operate on eastern time as well. So I have a very limited call window being out on the west coast.
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉
Nov 29, 2010
118 posts
132 upvotes
Ottawa
NefariousFIG wrote: Posted this in another Telus EPP thread, but fits here too:

I did the same thing with no issue.
Dec 22, 2007
625 posts
589 upvotes
GTA
Ugghhh ... sorry to hear that!

Definitely YMMV and dependent on the Agent you get. My experience was that they switched me to "Promo" plans at least twice (or three times) when I was with Telus EPP for the past 12 years. Just out of curiosity, what's your time with Telus EPP? Wondering if the length of your time with them has any bearings?

Perhaps you would want to try again and maybe will get a more receptive Agent?
Good luck!
Jan 2, 2019
96 posts
89 upvotes
vn33 wrote: Ugghhh ... sorry to hear that!

Definitely YMMV and dependent on the Agent you get. My experience was that they switched me to "Promo" plans at least twice (or three times) when I was with Telus EPP for the past 12 years. Just out of curiosity, what's your time with Telus EPP? Wondering if the length of your time with them has any bearings?

Perhaps you would want to try again and maybe will get a more receptive Agent?
Good luck!
Been with them just over 2 years.. so not terribly long.

I tried during Black Friday twice (as the same plan was offered then) and was told no, only for new activations, then tried one more time this week. So I’ve already signed up with Rogers and I’m just waiting for the sim to arrive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6270 posts
6698 upvotes
Edmonton
inanimate wrote: TLDR; EPP is cheap, but be prepared for useless support / sales people and headaches whenever you need anything adjusted.
This is so true. Normal telus support cannot do anything with EPP. If you have any problem you need to contact EPP and they are clueless. It's like they put all the idiots in EPP or something. Like that's where you get sent if you are a crappy employee.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4345 posts
1183 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tried calling Telus EPP to swithover to the BYOD $50/20GB as I'm an existing customer - no luck there.

I've made the switch to Rogers $50/20GB with the $100 credit - which is actually slightly better but I didn't want to go through the hassle. Anyways.. since Telus couldn't offer it to me I'm waiting for Rogers SIM to arrive.
Nov 24, 2008
166 posts
523 upvotes
Bridgewater
So I was lucky enough to get through and get an early upgrade before the end of the year.

Question about my bill that I cant understand is that I was charged and credited for:

Bring It Back Adjustment ($390)
Starting Easy Payment Balance ($199)

So the bill works out to my normal bill, plus the $50 connection fee, but then I was charged Tax on the two lines above even though they were credited. Does that seem odd?
Jan 15, 2022
6 posts
1 upvote
How do you guys go about getting free-addons on your EPP plan? I've been trying and all I get back from the reps is that they're unable to add anything that isn't part of your corporate plan.
Aug 30, 2007
760 posts
1455 upvotes
Calgary
EPP plans seem to be hobbled in what they can offer. A few years ago EPP was the way to get the best deal on a TELUS mobility plan.

Now, not so much…
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
7003 posts
7064 upvotes
Downtown Canada
RockyMtns27 wrote: EPP plans seem to be hobbled in what they can offer. A few years ago EPP was the way to get the best deal on a TELUS mobility plan.

Now, not so much…
Now it's retention plans
Telus $30/25GB X 4 lines Non shareable
$0 200 USA LD min/month X 4 lines
$0 Visual Voicemail X 4 lines

Fringe Minority

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)