Hot Deals

[Telus] Telus internet offer : additional $10 off per month + $150 credits YMMV [$69 = 950/950 + $550 credits]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2021 6:24 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9837 posts
65998 upvotes
Ontario

[Telus] Telus internet offer : additional $10 off per month + $150 credits YMMV [$69 = 950/950 + $550 credits]

I signed up for the boxing day offer from my Telus rep.

My plan:
$99 (950/950)+$400 credits
-$10/m (telux/koodo cellphone)
-$10/m (EPP discount)
-$10/m (special offer today)
+$150 credit (special offer today)
Total: $69 (950/950 fibre) + $550 credits
after discounts = $46/month for 2 years (950/950)

Short story:
1) call this number 1-866-558-2273
2) tell them you want to cancel
3) they will transfer you to the retention fibre team
4) explain your situation or make up an excuse
5) never take the first offer

telus.jpg

$89 = 950/950 + $400 credits

Mine was installed on March 5th but I was having issues with the boosters. I only get around 350mbps download and upload speed even though the booster is in the same room.
The technician who helped me installed it said You will never get close to 950mbps on wifi. Only when you connect to the cable.

I couldn't believe it because my Shaw gets 450-500mbps with wifi on the internet 600 plan.

My Telus rep advised me to call the fiber team and explain the situation. Then threaten to cancel and never take the first offer.

I called fibre team. explained the situation. (35 mins) and they transferred me to tech support.
tech support checked everything and said everything is normal. wasted 60 minutes of my time and said I will never get anywhere close to 950/950 with wifi.
I told them that's bs because I got 450-500mbps with Shaw and it's not even fibre. They couldn't help me and ask me to call again on Monday.

I called again today at 1-866-558-2273. told them I want to cancel my account. They transferred me to the fibre retention team within 15 minutes.
The lady asked me why. I said the tech support is useless and I am not getting the fibre speed.
the lady offered me:

1st offer: extra $50 credits
(no thanks) (I want to cancel because I switched over to Telus to get the fibre speed)
2nd offer: extra $100 credits
(no thanks) (I want to cancel because Shaw is offering a Winback offer = $60 for internet 600 + $300 credits)
3rd offer: extra $150 credits + $10 off + personal assistant ( I don't need to call anymore. I can just email to the Telus rep.)
(fine.....I'll take it. I will refer my friends to you okay?} I won't share her info so no need to pm me
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Mar 8th, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costco is closed today (April 4th 2021) even in Quebec
57 replies
Dec 15, 2019
75 posts
172 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for sharing. What an amazing deal you got! My discount is ending in a month. I hope I can get a good deal as well.
Nov 21, 2016
136 posts
108 upvotes
abbotsford
Any deals for new customers?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9837 posts
65998 upvotes
Ontario
SweetTato wrote: Thanks for sharing. What an amazing deal you got! My discount is ending in a month. I hope I can get a good deal as well.
do you have any problems with your booster?
Dec 15, 2019
75 posts
172 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thatdealguy wrote: do you have any problems with your booster?
It's a long story, but I did have a lot of problems with my internet during the holiday season of last year. It was an on-going issue that Telus support acknowledged. It was finally fixed early this year. I did try their boosters during that time thinking it's a signal issue, but it actually made it worse believe because it caused internet to disconnect here and there. It was quite frustrated to be honest and I will for sure be bringing that up when negotiating.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9837 posts
65998 upvotes
Ontario
SweetTato wrote: It's a long story, but I did have a lot of problems with my internet during the holiday season of last year. It was an on-going issue that Telus support acknowledged. It was finally fixed early this year. I did try their boosters during that time thinking it's a signal issue, but it actually made it worse believe because it caused internet to disconnect here and there. It was quite frustrated to be honest and I will for sure be bringing that up when negotiating.
can you get more than 500mbps on wifi?

you definitely should give them a call. took me almost 2 hours to get the extra discounts.
I'm still having issues with the booster. sometimes I only get 200mbps via wifi.
Sep 26, 2013
167 posts
239 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: I signed up for the boxing day offer from my Telus rep.

My plan:
$99 (950/950)+$400 credits
-$10/m (telux/koodo cellphone)
-$10/m (EPP discount)
-$10/m (special offer today)
+$150 credit (special offer today)
Total: $69 (950/950 fibre) + $550 credits
after discounts = $46/month for 2 years (950/950)

Short story:
1) call this number 1-866-558-2273
2) tell them you want to cancel
3) they will transfer you to the retention fibre team
4) explain your situation or make up an excuse
5) never take the first offer

telus.jpg

$89 = 950/950 + $400 credits

Mine was installed on March 5th but I was having issues with the boosters. I only get around 350mbps download and upload speed even though the booster is in the same room.
The technician who helped me installed it said You will never get close to 950mbps on wifi. Only when you connect to the cable.

I couldn't believe it because my Shaw gets 450-500mbps with wifi on the internet 600 plan.

My Telus rep advised me to call the fiber team and explain the situation. Then threaten to cancel and never take the first offer.

I called fibre team. explained the situation. (35 mins) and they transferred me to tech support.
tech support checked everything and said everything is normal. wasted 60 minutes of my time and said I will never get anywhere close to 950/950 with wifi.
I told them that's bs because I got 450-500mbps with Shaw and it's not even fibre. They couldn't help me and ask me to call again on Monday.

I called again today at 1-866-558-2273. told them I want to cancel my account. They transferred me to the fibre retention team within 15 minutes.
The lady asked me why. I said the tech support is useless and I am not getting the fibre speed.
the lady offered me:

1st offer: extra $50 credits
(no thanks) (I want to cancel because I switched over to Telus to get the fibre speed)
2nd offer: extra $100 credits
(no thanks) (I want to cancel because Shaw is offering a Winback offer = $60 for internet 600 + $300 credits)
3rd offer: extra $150 credits + $10 off + personal assistant ( I don't need to call anymore. I can just email to the Telus rep.)
(fine.....I'll take it. I will refer my friends to you okay?} I won't share her info so no need to pm me
This is a great deal. I'm thinking of doing the same for my parents' internet. I have access to EPP and if i can do sub 50 with at least internet 100 that would be great. Will give them a call. Thank you OP
May 26, 2005
806 posts
557 upvotes
The wifi boosters are useless and actually cut your speed - any wireless repeater without a dedicated backhaul system will do the same. Also, the wifi speed will also be dependent on your device being able to do more than 300-400mbps.
Dec 15, 2019
75 posts
172 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thatdealguy wrote: can you get more than 500mbps on wifi?

you definitely should give them a call. took me almost 2 hours to get the extra discounts.
I'm still having issues with the booster. sometimes I only get 200mbps via wifi.
I am only on the 150mbp plan, but I have been able to get at least half of that speed normally, if not more.
Oct 1, 2020
161 posts
200 upvotes
The caveat is that you'd have to have been a Telus customer at one point in your life to get a retention plan, and I vow NEVER to go with them EVER. INSANE regular pricing on their regular internet and phone services, no good entry point at all for outside customers.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2162 posts
1597 upvotes
roastpuff wrote: The wifi boosters are useless and actually cut your speed - any wireless repeater without a dedicated backhaul system will do the same. Also, the wifi speed will also be dependent on your device being able to do more than 300-400mbps.
If they installing stuff at the same time at your place and there's coax running in your house, ask if they can wire up those boosters with the MOCA adapters, the same things they run your TV on, if you still have the wired set top boxes. It's basically Ethernet over coaxial cable.
May 26, 2005
806 posts
557 upvotes
Yeah, that would provide it with the backhaul I mentioned. If they're being run wirelessly they're not going to do the speed any favours.
Mar 11, 2002
845 posts
252 upvotes
EmpressLisaSu wrote: The caveat is that you'd have to have been a Telus customer at one point in your life to get a retention plan, and I vow NEVER to go with them EVER. INSANE regular pricing on their regular internet and phone services, no good entry point at all for outside customers.
That’s not true, many first time customers in the Boxing Day telus offers from a few years back.
Oct 1, 2020
161 posts
200 upvotes
clboy wrote: That’s not true, many first time customers in the Boxing Day telus offers from a few years back.
Well just cuz they had a sale one time a few years ago doesn't negate that most of the time their prices are way too high, plus I don't have the luxury of having a time machine. What was the deal btw? I lurk here for quite a while and if it was an insane deal I def would have jumped. Does it beat $39 for 75 down?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4746 posts
3242 upvotes
azraelluz wrote: This is a great deal. I'm thinking of doing the same for my parents' internet. I have access to EPP and if i can do sub 50 with at least internet 100 that would be great. Will give them a call. Thank you OP
I am on the $40 Internet 100 plan with unlimited data for 2 years. It's a retention offer that I got last September.
Oct 11, 2016
520 posts
497 upvotes
I called Telus and Shaw recently since I'm out of contract and the offer I got was 85$ for fiber for Telus and like 70$ for Shaw 600, no credit on either. How do I get these amazing deals dammit? Literally everyone gets offered better deals, and these reps say to me 'that's the best we could do, there's no way you're getting a better deal'.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9837 posts
65998 upvotes
Ontario
EmpressLisaSu wrote: The caveat is that you'd have to have been a Telus customer at one point in your life to get a retention plan, and I vow NEVER to go with them EVER. INSANE regular pricing on their regular internet and phone services, no good entry point at all for outside customers.
I'm a new customer. just installed on March 5th..
Got extra $10 off per month and $150 on March 8th.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1461 posts
1297 upvotes
Very easy to get gigabit fibre for around 80dollars a month with a 200$ credit for new customers..
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3614 posts
2258 upvotes
Edmonton
Comments say good deal but post has seven downvotes.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)