Expired Hot Deals

Telus

Telus offering Amazon Prime membership as an option to new & existing customers with Optik TV plans (BC, AB)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2021 5:30 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2001
169 posts
48 upvotes
Port Coquitlam

[Telus] Telus offering Amazon Prime membership as an option to new & existing customers with Optik TV plans (BC, AB)

Telus announced that Optik TV customers in B.C. and Alberta with four or more theme packs + 1 premium can choose Amazon Prime as One of their theme packs in their package.

They have also added Prime Video in 4K on channel 424 for ALL Amazon Prime members.

Note: Some people are reporting they are not seeing the Amazon Prime membership as one of their theme packs using self-service through MyTelus. In this case you must call in Telus or use their chat for assistance.

https://www.telus.com/en/tv/optik/amazon-prime
Last edited by Starturtle on Jul 31st, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
84 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2695 posts
1990 upvotes
Calgary
Looks like you basically add Amazon Prime as one of your theme packs. I already have Netflix Premium in my Optik package which is quite nice (counts as the 1 premium add on in my plan). Looks like Prime counts as a regular theme pack which is decent value.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1662 posts
1157 upvotes
Vancouver
Not seeing it as an option when trying to add it to my account. Maybe it's not live yet for existing customers?
Last edited by Alivenate on Jul 31st, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10681 posts
3345 upvotes
yeah except look at the prices of TV these days, 160$ for TV and internet with 4 theme packs. and thats the sale price.

i ditched TV 1 year ago and dont miss it at all, i have internet 300 for 60$ a month for 2 years.
Nov 26, 2013
767 posts
678 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is there like increased telecom competition is BC/AB or something? Not bad between this and the Shaw deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4453 posts
954 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Alivenate wrote: Not seeing it as an option when trying to add it to my account. Maybe it's not live yet for existing customers?
Same.
I currently have essentials, then I added other theme packs after the fact (one of which is premium).

I wonder if it has to be a packaged deal where you change your base package to essentials + theme so you have to get it bundled?
Aug 24, 2018
789 posts
1061 upvotes
Langley BC
I have a package that gives me 6 theme choices and it won't let me add Amazon as one of the choices. Are you sure it doesn't require a premium choice?
Don..
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10681 posts
3345 upvotes
this is how telus usually works, they consider your old plan grandfathered and no longer offered, so you then switch to a new plan, with less channels or higher cost to get the new "perk" you are almost always losing out in the long run.
Jun 28, 2019
439 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone know if they cancel your Prime if you cut back on the theme packs? So for example you get them all to get the prime, won’t it be valid for 1 year?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1290 posts
1083 upvotes
Vancouver
Can’t find amazon prime under theme packs
Aug 24, 2018
789 posts
1061 upvotes
Langley BC
777canadian wrote: How much is it monthly?
For me it would be an additional $8 as I can't add it for free as a substitute for one of my packs
Don..
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1546 posts
2452 upvotes
I have the You Pick 6 combo and don't see Amazon Prime as an option. But each theme pack is $8 so you're essentially removing a theme pack and replacing with Prime, so it's not really an added benefit by Telus. You're just shifting the $8 from a theme pack to Prime. And I'm sure Telus is getting a better deal than paying $8 for Prime so there's some margin on top of it. If there's a theme pack you don't watch, it's a good deal.

On another note, if you have Prime already they say you can't activate it through Telus. Can't you just cancel your Prime acct and then sign up via Telus?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2014
1030 posts
1826 upvotes
Calgary, AB
rocking23nf wrote: yeah except look at the prices of TV these days, 160$ for TV and internet with 4 theme packs. and thats the sale price.

i ditched TV 1 year ago and dont miss it at all, i have internet 300 for 60$ a month for 2 years.
Only schmucks pay that price.

I'm paying $82/month for Internet 150, 4 theme packs, Netflix premium, home phone and a fax line. When you remove the Netflix I was paying for anyways it works out to $65/month.

Now I'm considering replacing a theme pack I hardly use with Amazon Prime and saving another $80/year.
Jun 19, 2019
13 posts
44 upvotes
I had this done through live chat yesterday as I didn’t see it as an option either.

I have Optik TV 4+1.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
What I wouldn't give to pick every channel I watch.
There's basically only like 5 anyways....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Aug 24, 2018
789 posts
1061 upvotes
Langley BC
I am charged $75 a month (before discounts) for my 6 theme packs (old plan). I can't get prime as it says that I need the 4+1 or 7+1 or... I am thinking that I will be able to move to the 7+1 for $90 a month take netflix as my +1 (I currently pay $16.99 for netflix ultra HD) and add Amazon prime as my extra theme and this should save me $1.99 a month as I will be able to cancel my current neflix payment. My only question is the telus netflix the top one that give 4 devices and 4K ultra HD? Thanks.
Don..
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2177 posts
310 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rocking23nf wrote: yeah except look at the prices of TV these days, 160$ for TV and internet with 4 theme packs. and thats the sale price.

How did you get internet 300 for $60 for 2 years?
Aug 24, 2018
789 posts
1061 upvotes
Langley BC
death_hawk wrote: What I wouldn't give to pick every channel I watch.
There's basically only like 5 anyways....
I think you can just add individual channels for like $3 each for most of them. You would still need the essentials i guess.
Don..
Aug 24, 2018
789 posts
1061 upvotes
Langley BC
MilkyWind wrote: How did you get internet 300 for $60 for 2 years?
Look at a competitive company like V media or ??? And call your provider and say match or i leave...
Don..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)