Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Telus

Telus Online Exclusive Offer (Internet 75 $45/month + $200 Credit) 2 year term (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2019 1:39 am
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
sphish wrote: "The monthly promotional price total mentioned above includes all promotions effective at the start of your service. This total will change as and when the promotions expire according to the promotion end date. Taxes extra, except where stated. *Includes taxes."

"Price protection
Regular pricing applies from the end of a promotional period. TELUS reserves the right to modify regular pricing at any time. Current published rates will apply for your TELUS Internet and TV service, and we’ll inform you at least 30 days in advance of any rate changes."

Nowhere in the service agreement does it state they're allowed to change the agreed upon price, IF you negotiated that specific price and not just the discounts. If you negotiated discounts of say, $45/mo then you may be hooped. But if you negotiated a set price of say $50/mo you should be okay. They can change regular pricing but if you're on a promotional price, that regular price shouldn't affect you until after your promotional period expires.
I think it would be easier to understand if you think of "regular price" to mean "base price". "Promotional Price" means "promotional credits". The way they are structured, there is no such thing as a regular or promotional price as I think you understand it. Every contract is laid out the same... The Base or Regular price for a particular service is the same across the board for everybody, regardless of what you negotiated. The difference of what people pay is the promotional discounts that get applied. When you minus all the promotional discounts from your "base" or "regular" price, the total should be the price that you have negotiated. When TELUS says they can increase the "regular" price at any time, they are referring to the "base" price for that service, and not the final negotiated price, which means when the base price goes up and your promotional discounts stay the same, you price regardless of what you negotiated will go up.

Some further clarification on base or regular pricing. There is a regular or base price for every service and is the same for everybody. Internet 150 has a regular price, Internet 300 has a different regular or base price. If I remember correctly, if you have a telus bill, the first line of whatever service you have is the regular or base price for that service. Under that will be all the promotional credits and the total (not including taxes and other miscellaneous) will be the total you negotiated. If they raise the "regular" price, they mean the "base price" which they say they can do at any time via the fine print.

TELUS is not especially horrible for doing this.. I believe Shaw does the same thing...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
perfectg wrote: I am coming to the end of my "2 Year contract" and can tell you Telus will raise the price, and when you complain they send you the contract with highlighted section that says they have the right to increase prices. No contract is safe with Telus.
Usually, if you have a 2 year contract, it means your promotional credits are valid for 24 months. Once your promotional credits are over, and if you have no other promotional credits, then you will just end up paying the regular or base price for that service. It's the same for every provider out there. However, always call before your promotional credits expire to see what they can offer you. I always like to call the "other" major competitor first and see what they can offer. When I call with my existing provider, it gives me a much better idea of what I might or might not be able to get.

Also, I find you always need to talk to the loyalty or retentions department as their deals are so much better. Don't expect anything much from regular customer service. It's not worth your time to talk to them, they are simply unable to offer you the better deals because they don't have access to as many promotional codes.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
Suthek wrote: If they are creating contracts that somehow allow them to increase rates in the middle of the contract, they are horrible.
This still doesn't make sense to me though. That's supposed to be the whole purpose of a contract. That prices won't increase until the day the contract ends.
Big 3 has been doing this for the last 10 years.

The purpose of their contract is to charge you what they want to charge you then charge you a huge penalty for leaving a contract.

Welcome to Canadian wireless/internet services.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
sphish wrote: Total Internet Regular Price (after all promotions expire) $95.00
Total Internet Promotional Price (when all promotions effective) $50.00

I think when calling in you need to be sure you're negotiating the price per month, not the discounts. Get it in the service agreement the agreed upon price per month, not just the discounts you're getting. Otherwise there's no reason to enter a 2 year term, let alone 1 year term without that assurance.

Regardless, $45/mo for 75Mbps service isn't great. It's not terrible, but there have and likely will be better deals again.
I think everybody implies they are negotiating price and not discount. I do the same. However, the way they are structured, you can NEVER negotiate an absolute price because it simply doesn't exist. The terms and conditions state they can raise prices arbitrarily. If the customer rep says the price will NEVER go up, and GUARANTEED never to go up, then one out of 2 things... either they don't know any better, which is common. The other is they just don't want the hassle of explaining or losing the sale. After you hang up, most people do NOT have notes on what they said and the timestamp of when they said it. Then it becomes a he said/she said type of thing. There are hundreds and thousands of customer service reps and turnover is high too, the person who sold you might not even be working anymore. Telus has to deal with thousands of customers who regularly try to rip them off or abuse the system so how can they differentiate?

I have multiple accounts with both Telus and Shaw usually., Everytime I talk to an agent and have some significant change to my accounts or promotions, I always take notes on who I talked to, the office or city they are working from, and date and time of call. If it is something like a 2 year contract type of thing, I even have an email confirming my prices and any other perks. This is a good practice in general, but for those that never change services, this is probably overkill.

There was an across the board increase to the TV U PICK 6. I have multiple accounts that have the service and they all went up by $5. I called in and they gave me an additional $5 promotional credit to offset the increase. It was easy this time, but it has been difficult in the past where they refuse to do so. It's a lot easier when you have notes. It doesn't happen often but if you've been with TELUS for 10 years, you would probably have experienced it a bunch of times but most people don't notice anyways...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
ktkn wrote: I think everybody implies they are negotiating price and not discount. I do the same. However, the way they are structured, you can NEVER negotiate an absolute price because it simply doesn't exist. The terms and conditions state they can raise prices arbitrarily. If the customer rep says the price will NEVER go up, and GUARANTEED never to go up, then one out of 2 things... either they don't know any better, which is common. The other is they just don't want the hassle of explaining or losing the sale. After you hang up, most people do NOT have notes on what they said and the timestamp of when they said it. Then it becomes a he said/she said type of thing. There are hundreds and thousands of customer service reps and turnover is high too, the person who sold you might not even be working anymore. Telus has to deal with thousands of customers who regularly try to rip them off or abuse the system so how can they differentiate?

I have multiple accounts with both Telus and Shaw usually., Everytime I talk to an agent and have some significant change to my accounts or promotions, I always take notes on who I talked to, the office or city they are working from, and date and time of call. If it is something like a 2 year contract type of thing, I even have an email confirming my prices and any other perks. This is a good practice in general, but for those that never change services, this is probably overkill.

There was an across the board increase to the TV U PICK 6. I have multiple accounts that have the service and they all went up by $5. I called in and they gave me an additional $5 promotional credit to offset the increase. It was easy this time, but it has been difficult in the past where they refuse to do so. It's a lot easier when you have notes. It doesn't happen often but if you've been with TELUS for 10 years, you would probably have experienced it a bunch of times but most people don't notice anyways...
LOL, you and I have multiple accounts and do just about the exact same things.
Feb 2, 2016
343 posts
212 upvotes
wont stay in telua again. i have been with them 3 year with $60 per month internet 50,and my friend all using fiber internet100 in my building with promo $25 since last year. 3month ago they sent me notification about increaing my bill to $65/month, i phone them why they do it since i signed 2year contract and why i cannot switch to fiber. they said i signed the loyalty contract only make sure i have $15 credit but not guarantee the plan stay in the price and fiber need to be pay more.now i cancel it to switch to cik for $25/month fiber internet100.i phone telus to cancel and they sent me to cancellation department tell me they can offer me $49 per month with fiber 100 and give me 200 credit now. i was very angry why they didnot offer me earier. so i decide cancel and pay $320 penalty. i will never back to telus again
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
ManboH740907 wrote: wont stay in telua again. i have been with them 3 year with $60 per month internet 50,and my friend all using fiber internet100 in my building with promo $25 since last year. 3month ago they sent me notification about increaing my bill to $65/month, i phone them why they do it since i signed 2year contract and why i cannot switch to fiber. they said i signed the loyalty contract only make sure i have $15 credit but not guarantee the plan stay in the price and fiber need to be pay more.now i cancel it to switch to cik for $25/month fiber internet100.i phone telus to cancel and they sent me to cancellation department tell me they can offer me $49 per month with fiber 100 and give me 200 credit now. i was very angry why they didnot offer me earier. so i decide cancel and pay $320 penalty. i will never back to telus again
Telus is a big organization. Some competent people there and some incompetent people there.

You have to know whom to talk to. Even if you get the right dept (i.e. retention), some are generous and others are chinzy as if it's coming out of their own pocket.

$320 penalty to break contract? That sounds high.
Feb 2, 2016
343 posts
212 upvotes
ktkn wrote: I think everybody implies they are negotiating price and not discount. I do the same. However, the way they are structured, you can NEVER negotiate an absolute price because it simply doesn't exist. The terms and conditions state they can raise prices arbitrarily. If the customer rep says the price will NEVER go up, and GUARANTEED never to go up, then one out of 2 things... either they don't know any better, which is common. The other is they just don't want the hassle of explaining or losing the sale. After you hang up, most people do NOT have notes on what they said and the timestamp of when they said it. Then it becomes a he said/she said type of thing. There are hundreds and thousands of customer service reps and turnover is high too, the person who sold you might not even be working anymore. Telus has to deal with thousands of customers who regularly try to rip them off or abuse the system so how can they differentiate?

and they tried to play math with you. last time i ask them why my bill need to pay more this month they said now they change policy that you have to pay the tax before the promo price.
plan $85+tax - $15 promo credit, before $85-$15 promo credit then tax.
they tried to fool you.
Feb 2, 2016
343 posts
212 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: Telus is a big organization. Some competent people there and some incompetent people there.

You have to know whom to talk to. Even if you get the right dept (i.e. retention), some are generous and others are chinzy as if it's coming out of their own pocket.

$320 penalty to break contract? That sounds high.
well. i have 2 address, each $160. if i dont switch, they.gonna increasing price. i did calculation i switch to cik and i can save $50/month and speed from internet 50 to fiber internet100.
Mar 19, 2019
62 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Just an FYI for anyone looking to get better pricing on their internet: I was switching from Shaw to Telus’ Internet 75 for $45/mo, 2 year contract, $150 bill credit. My previous Shaw plan was Internet 300 for $55/mo, month-to-month, discounts expiring mid July then back to $100+ reg pricing.

After I got Telus set up, I called Shaw to cancel and got lured in again with their retention offer of $38/mo for 12 months then $53/mo for the next 12 months, 2 year contract, $200 bill credit. Didn’t have to ask about anything. When I called Telus back to cancel, they were trying to offer me more bill credit to get me to stay but I declined since I’d rather take Internet 300 than 75 + shawopen.

Also, I wasn’t put on hold for any of these calls which was rather surprising. The max wait was probably like 3 minutes. Called during afternoon and evening.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
optimis wrote: Just an FYI for anyone looking to get better pricing on their internet: I was switching from Shaw to Telus’ Internet 75 for $45/mo, 2 year contract, $150 bill credit. My previous Shaw plan was Internet 300 for $55/mo, month-to-month, discounts expiring mid July then back to $100+ reg pricing.

After I got Telus set up, I called Shaw to cancel and got lured in again with their retention offer of $38/mo for 12 months then $53/mo for the next 12 months, 2 year contract, $200 bill credit. Didn’t have to ask about anything. When I called Telus back to cancel, they were trying to offer me more bill credit to get me to stay but I declined since I’d rather take Internet 300 than 75 + shawopen.

Also, I wasn’t put on hold for any of these calls which was rather surprising. The max wait was probably like 3 minutes. Called during afternoon and evening.
Telus was installed already? Good thing Telus didn't want to charge you an installation fee or penalty. You have to drop off telus equipment?

Can you imagine if there was no competition and one company had a monopoly?

That's why icbc should be scrapped.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
ManboH740907 wrote: well. i have 2 address, each $160. if i dont switch, they.gonna increasing price. i did calculation i switch to cik and i can save $50/month and speed from internet 50 to fiber internet100.
If you talked to the right dept and the right person at telus, you can do better.
Look at the post right after yours and see what he got.

Calling telus every 6 or 12 months to negotiate is a pain though but that's what you need to do sometimes to get a good deal and save some money.
Feb 2, 2016
343 posts
212 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: If you talked to the right dept and the right person at telus, you can do better.
Look at the post right after yours and see what he got.

Calling telus every 6 or 12 months to negotiate is a pain though but that's what you need to do sometimes to get a good deal and save some money.
the telus website is not showing the contact phone no. they dont encourage you to call. even you get the phone no. is likely 1-2 hour waiting.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
ManboH740907 wrote: the telus website is not showing the contact phone no. they dont encourage you to call. even you get the phone no. is likely 1-2 hour waiting.
Rarely the wait is that long. Sometimes the automated system will ask if you want a call back.

Number is 1 888 811 2323.

Call to cancel and speak to retention/loyalty.

Go through the relevant RFD threads (telus, shaw, etc.) and see what some of the best deals people getting are and use that as reference point in how you want to ask/negotiate.

Look at post 31 in this thread.

That's as much hints I can give you.
Mar 19, 2019
62 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Speedy1 wrote: Telus was installed already? Good thing Telus didn't want to charge you an installation fee or penalty. You have to drop off telus equipment?

Can you imagine if there was no competition and one company had a monopoly?

That's why icbc should be scrapped.
There shouldn’t ever be a fee for cancelling a day later. When I was signing up, the rep said I have 30 days to cancel and IIRC shaw’s policy is 10 days. I’m going to mail back the modem tomorrow.

Don’t know why you’re bringing up ICBC in this thread though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Suthek wrote: That's odd. I've never heard of that. Do you know what section that is? I'll have to dig up my Telus contract.
I haven't witnessed what you're describing.
Suthek wrote: If they are creating contracts that somehow allow them to increase rates in the middle of the contract, they are horrible.
This still doesn't make sense to me though. That's supposed to be the whole purpose of a contract. That prices won't increase until the day the contract ends.
Telus "contracts" are not contracts, because price would be "of the essence" if they were, which would mean you could break a contract if they altered a key element like the price during the contract period.

What Telus offers is a "service agreement", where you agree to take their services for a fixed period, no matter what price they decide to charge. They are free to increase the price by whatever amount they want during the service agreement period. You only protection is that you can cancel the agreement at any time for the agreed cancellation penalty, which I think is $15 per remaining month now.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: Rarely the wait is that long. Sometimes the automated system will ask if you want a call back.
Actually, for a long period of time before, waiting 1 hour or over to speak to somebody was very common for me. Unfortunately for me, I had to call TELUS more often than most people, but right now, wait times are pretty good and usually talk to somebody within 5-10 minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2749 upvotes
Vancouver
optimis wrote: There shouldn’t ever be a fee for cancelling a day later. When I was signing up, the rep said I have 30 days to cancel and IIRC shaw’s policy is 10 days. I’m going to mail back the modem tomorrow.

Don’t know why you’re bringing up ICBC in this thread though.
I brought up ICBC because I think there should be competition in the marketplace, just like telus vs shaw now for tv and internet. Without competition, I would be paying 2x as much for tv and internet.

ICBC has no competition in the marketplace for mandatory car insurance.

I have many accounts so the savings are significant.
Sep 2, 2007
367 posts
309 upvotes
optimis wrote: Just an FYI for anyone looking to get better pricing on their internet: I was switching from Shaw to Telus’ Internet 75 for $45/mo, 2 year contract, $150 bill credit. My previous Shaw plan was Internet 300 for $55/mo, month-to-month, discounts expiring mid July then back to $100+ reg pricing.

Interesting I ran into the exact same situation, switching to telus than lured back again to shaw with that same deal.
However the next day I found an email with my Telus bill which I had for 2 days before switching back to Shaw, looks like they charged me for the full first month?
The Shaw guy seemed pretty confident there would be no charge and if there was to let him know and it may be just for a few days of use, did you end up having to pay your first telus bill after the early cancellation?

I guess I can't complain too much but the shaw guy made it sound like there wouldn't be any charge. Curious how it worked out for you.
Mar 19, 2019
62 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver BC
RedruM7 wrote: Interesting I ran into the exact same situation, switching to telus than lured back again to shaw with that same deal.
However the next day I found an email with my Telus bill which I had for 2 days before switching back to Shaw, looks like they charged me for the full first month?
The Shaw guy seemed pretty confident there would be no charge and if there was to let him know and it may be just for a few days of use, did you end up having to pay your first telus bill after the early cancellation?

I guess I can't complain too much but the shaw guy made it sound like there wouldn't be any charge. Curious how it worked out for you.
I had Telus for two days as well but I didn’t get my bill yet. I don’t think you should be taking Shaw’s word for what Telus is going to do though. When I was cancelling Telus, they said I’d be charged a few dollars for the two days of service + the modem if I didn’t return it by the billing date (which can be reversed later). I guess I’ll just have to wait for my bill? Just wondering, are you able to log into the telus my account page? I lost access to my telus login right after I cancelled.