Cell Phones

Telus wants me to pay for days that I waited for SIM card delivery?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 8:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1725 posts
523 upvotes
Edmonton

Telus wants me to pay for days that I waited for SIM card delivery?

Hello,

I recently switched from Koodo ($50/8GB) to Telus as I am interested in 5G when the new iPhones come out. I live in Edmonton and the Bell/Telus network is as good as it can get, in my experience. As an existing Koodo customer I was able to get $65 for 10GB. It is not that great of a deal but I had troubles signing up for Telus EPP. Telus EPP wants me to contact my work's HR department, HR department says it's available through Perkopolis, Perkopolis says only Rogers EPP is available... I got the runaround basically. I do not have a corporate work email address either.

I looked at my bill and it turns out that Telus wants me to pay for the 5 days I was waiting for the SIM card in the mail. The SIM card came from Calgary through Canada Post Lettermail and it took 5 days including the weekend to be delivered. Basically the SIM card is activated from the day it ships so you don't have to call in to activate.

I talked to 2 Telus customer service reps and they both refused to refund the prorated charges of 5 days waiting for the delivery. One rep told me it's in the terms and I should've read it. I escalated the issue through their online form, same story. I got a reply saying the issue was resolved in prior contacts and they don't know what the issue is. I was able to find a similar experience on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/telus/comments ... _fees_for/) and they were able to get it refunded.

Is paying prorated charges for the day spent waiting for the SIM card delivery normal with all big 3 carriers? I guess by waiving the $40 activation fee through online, this is how big 3 carriers get their money. It's only like $6.50 for the prorated charges but I feel dirty being charged for service I was physically unable to use since it was in the mail.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13613 posts
5139 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I thought this is normal across the board now. I recently switched from Rogers to Koodo and Koodo does the same thing. My bill starts on the day of my order and the sim is pre-activated so I lose out on the first couple of days when the sim is in the mail.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1122 posts
891 upvotes
Calgary
rvs007 wrote: I thought this is normal across the board now. I recently switched from Rogers to Koodo and Koodo does the same thing. My bill starts on the day of my order and the sim is pre-activated so I lose out on the first couple of days when the sim is in the mail.
Yeah I believe Koodo automatically activate it a day or two after they ship it. It’s not actually soon enough for me though usually as Koodo ships their sims from Calgary and if you’re in Calgary the sims often aren’t activated when they arrive (you can to call up and get it enabled).
Sep 28, 2012
103 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
Go to CCTS if you want
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1267 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver
I recently switched from Telus to Fido and same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5788 posts
1914 upvotes
I understand its frustrating but for me, it's too much of a hassle to call in & try to argue with them over $6.50. Its a hassle & stressful that you gotta argue with them, clearly I feel you are in the right, but sometimes you just gotta cut your losses (eg time is money)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2354 posts
144 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Fido same thing.

I believe all providers are doing this now a days
Nov 6, 2006
256 posts
163 upvotes
Coquitlam
TELUS did this to me too, but it was 2 SIM cards for 2 lines and they arrived after we went out of town. I fought with them to get a credit and eventually did but it took a long time...

I think it's completely wrong that providers do this and everyone should fight them. They can see when you start using the SIM and start the billing date then, or they can have you call in the SIM and activate it too. They just do it this way to steal money from people.
Nov 6, 2006
256 posts
163 upvotes
Coquitlam
TELUS did this to me too, but it was 2 SIM cards for 2 lines and they arrived after we went out of town. I fought with them to get a credit and eventually did but it took a long time...

I think it's completely wrong that providers do this and everyone should fight them. They can see when you start using the SIM and start the billing date then, or they can have you call in the SIM and activate it too. They just do it this way to steal money from people.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3401 posts
839 upvotes
Markham, ON
Koodo did the same thing, I've activated 3 lines and had to wait 10 days for the sim cards to come in. The -$5 Koodo referral for 5 months was able to balance it out, but it's the overall principle. You waive the $40 activation fee, but you play the waiting game and miss out $5-$10 worth of services that you never use.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21210 posts
2510 upvotes
Toronto
all carriers do this - not unique to Telus. This was taking place prior to COVID.

Obviously, best is sign up in the store & you get to use right away but given today's COVID environment....

Carriers should be reasonable and offer pro-rated charges now - esp given that snail mail is sooooooo slooowwwww nowadays & no one wants to go into stores due to COVID.

More work for them but it is the right thing to do.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Oct 11, 2019
283 posts
205 upvotes
Calgary
I had this happen when I switched to Koodo for the $50/9GB. It activated on the 9th and I got it on the 13th. However I contacted them through Facebook Messenger and they credited the amount for 9th-11th. Seems like Koodo is easier to work with than Telus.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13613 posts
5139 upvotes
Toronto, ON
snyp1193 wrote: I had this happen when I switched to Koodo for the $50/9GB. It activated on the 9th and I got it on the 13th. However I contacted them through Facebook Messenger and they credited the amount for 9th-11th. Seems like Koodo is easier to work with than Telus.
Just curious... if you received the sim on the 13th, shouldn't the refund be from the 9th to the 12th?
Feb 4, 2011
493 posts
284 upvotes
d3van wrote: TELUS did this to me too, but it was 2 SIM cards for 2 lines and they arrived after we went out of town. I fought with them to get a credit and eventually did but it took a long time...

But what if you received the SIM and didn't activate it for next couple of weeks coz you did't "need" it until then?
Nov 6, 2006
256 posts
163 upvotes
Coquitlam
dealz4all wrote: But what if you received the SIM and didn't activate it for next couple of weeks coz you did't "need" it until then?
What's wrong with that? They should charge me when I start using the service. 90% of the time they charge for the SIM card so they aren't out anything.