Expired Hot Deals

Telus

[YMMV] Home security $25 month (1 Year Free, total 3 year contract)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2021 1:47 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2016
139 posts
159 upvotes
North York, ON

[Telus] [YMMV] Home security $25 month (1 Year Free, total 3 year contract)

I got a phone call few hours ago regarding a Home security deal from Telus, who acquired ADT a while ago.

The deal was the following:

-1 camera (outside or indoor; 1080p)
-3 equipments (can choose between: 1. smart doorlock 2. smart thermometer 3. smart garage opener 4. smart smoke sensor 5. smart carbon monoxide sensor 6. smart glass shatter sensor)
-720p tablet for monitoring cam
-1 motion sensor
-2 door sensor
-free amazon echo show 5

Installation fee/equipment fee of this package is waived and are free.
1 year free (10 month credit and $60 worth of ADT points = 1 year free)

After 1 year, you pay $25 month for remainder of your contract (2 years)

Thought this was pretty good deal. Usually this package goes for $67/month, but with special promotion its $35 month, and if you have existing telus mobility, its $25/month. Not sure if additional mobility discount is limited to just telus.

They said they are reaching out to customers that they werent able to contact via black friday. Consider this as one of their black friday deals.
Last edited by utmosteffor on Dec 1st, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1451 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
Can you PM me details and contact number to call ?
[OP]
Aug 29, 2016
139 posts
159 upvotes
North York, ON
Got a call from 236 427 1256 but when you call you probably get a generic bot message.

It was an outbound call.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3628 posts
5468 upvotes
Langley, BC
My house has windows that are all hardwired, would they need to install new connections for those? Whenever I do the "build your package thing" I enter 15 windows and the price is insane for the sensors.

Do people not monitor windows anymore?
Nov 29, 2020
56 posts
507 upvotes
Sauga
Do you keep the equipment after 3 years? Or are they useless anyway unless you have their services
[OP]
Aug 29, 2016
139 posts
159 upvotes
North York, ON
HurricaneGusto wrote: Do you keep the equipment after 3 years? Or are they useless anyway unless you have their services
You probably get to keep the doorlock...

idk about sensors or garage door opener.
May 22, 2004
639 posts
224 upvotes
Montreal
steven80 wrote: My house has windows that are all hardwired, would they need to install new connections for those? Whenever I do the "build your package thing" I enter 15 windows and the price is insane for the sensors.

The Qolsys panels they install support something like 6 hardwire zones out of the box, and if you need more there's a daughter card that IIRC goes up to 128. I'm not sure if the installer will hook this up for you but if you get the installer code (ask the installer nicely) you can set it up yourself. What's unclear to me is whether an alarm tripped by this zone while armed will be properly interpreted by the monitoring centre.

The other problem is your panel needs to be where the old one was, typically in the basement or in a closet somewhere. If you want to have a keypad by the door you can buy an extra unit or just arm/disarm via app.
Dec 8, 2009
860 posts
299 upvotes
steven80 wrote: My house has windows that are all hardwired, would they need to install new connections for those? Whenever I do the "build your package thing" I enter 15 windows and the price is insane for the sensors.

I first interested in ADT and Telus bought them and now they don't offer full hardwired support, I'm still with GrandAlarms. I just bought Ring alarm system and planning to integrate with current wired system using ring retrofit kit. ADT used to offer full hardwired alarm system , seems like Telus removed those completely??
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3628 posts
5468 upvotes
Langley, BC
echo_jey wrote: I first interested in ADT and Telus bought them and now they don't offer full hardwired support, I'm still with GrandAlarms. I just bought Ring alarm system and planning to integrate with current wired system using ring retrofit kit. ADT used to offer full hardwired alarm system , seems like Telus removed those completely??
yeah i used to have ADT, then TELUS "installed" their stuff and caused false alarms every time i armed the system. They came and tried to fix it but couldn't, so i had to schedule another installer to come but they never did now for me to get the system working, I'd need to pay for the full install and hookup of what they undid in the control panel room.

I liked the system, but it never worked, but maybe it's better now as this was all when they were first acquired and still sorting things out.
Oct 21, 2009
807 posts
709 upvotes
If you have the Telus equipment but find their services too expensive switch over to Alarm Grid. They can easily take over the system on a phone call and they have no contract. They use the services of alarm.com
[OP]
Aug 29, 2016
139 posts
159 upvotes
North York, ON
meemo wrote: If you have the Telus equipment but find their services too expensive switch over to Alarm Grid. They can easily take over the system on a phone call and they have no contract. They use the services of alarm.com
How much are you paying monthly?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2787 posts
930 upvotes
Good deal.

Mine is $30 a month without being a Telus client with $200 credit.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2367 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
steven80 wrote: yeah i used to have ADT, then TELUS "installed" their stuff and caused false alarms every time i armed the system. They came and tried to fix it but couldn't, so i had to schedule another installer to come but they never did now for me to get the system working, I'd need to pay for the full install and hookup of what they undid in the control panel room.

I liked the system, but it never worked, but maybe it's better now as this was all when they were first acquired and still sorting things out.
Big fan of Ring here. Don't think you'll be disappointed especially once you add in the retrofit kit and start making all those sensors work with smart triggers etc.
Jul 23, 2018
663 posts
260 upvotes
meemo wrote: If you have the Telus equipment but find their services too expensive switch over to Alarm Grid. They can easily take over the system on a phone call and they have no contract. They use the services of alarm.com
Looks like a US company. Do they deal in Canada too?
Oct 21, 2009
807 posts
709 upvotes
OongaLoonga wrote: Looks like a US company. Do they deal in Canada too?
Yes, they do. The prices on the website are USD so when they charge you it will get converted to CAD. They were really nice and helped "unlock" the system from Telus and get it set up with them within a few minutes. No contracts was the best part.
Oct 21, 2009
807 posts
709 upvotes
utmosteffor wrote: How much are you paying monthly?
I have multiple cameras and sensors so much more. However it would have been cheaper than Telus bc I believe they charge per camera you hook onto their system, whereas with Alarmgrid it's a fixed cost
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2162 posts
1263 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
I think its worth it for the free installation. I dont even know how the installation guy even installed the outdoor cameras, I dont see the wires anywhere..

That said wow is the software and hardware awful compared to ring/nest. If you planned on answering the delivery guy with the doorbell camera... dont. Im on fiber and half the time I'll get an error or it takes 15 seconds to connect. Not even jehovahs witness will wait that long.
Also. And this is a big one. Telus does NOT have 24/7 recording. Its strictly 15-30 second recordings when theres motion detected.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1759 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
So you only need to pay 300 for remaining 2 years.

What happens after your contract ends and you don’t want to renew anymore.

Can you keep equipment? Will they still work like door sensors? Cameras ? And door opener?
Jul 23, 2018
663 posts
260 upvotes
meemo wrote: Yes, they do. The prices on the website are USD so when they charge you it will get converted to CAD. They were really nice and helped "unlock" the system from Telus and get it set up with them within a few minutes. No contracts was the best part.
Thanks. So do you have live monitoring through them?

Or do they just enable you to use Telus devices without Telus services? What app do you use to monitor/view camera feeds etc.?
Oct 21, 2009
807 posts
709 upvotes
OongaLoonga wrote: Thanks. So do you have live monitoring through them?

Or do they just enable you to use Telus devices without Telus services? What app do you use to monitor/view camera feeds etc.?
Correct. It unlocked me from using Telus.

The previous owners of this place had Telus and several of their devices, however they didn't give the master/installer codes and I could get it unlocked without going back to Telus. AlarmGrid helped reset it and went on a month-to-month with them.

I bet when I stop using AlarmGrid the system will still work (like door and motion sensors) but some functionality like live camera feeds will probably not work.

You use the well known alarm.com app. Many companies use their services but brand it under their own label.