• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 2:33 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga

Temp. banning users for going off-topic on COVID-19 related threads

Can we start issuing warnings or temporary ban for users going off topic on threads related to COVID-19 (besides the Off Topic forum)?

There's so many threads, especially in the travel section, where some users are asking legitimate questions only to be derailed by off-topic posts and one liners/zingers, only to have the thread locked. Can't even help someone whose asking a real honest question.....

Thanks!
13 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
6060842 wrote: Banning and censoring posts on this site has already gotten way out of control. What one person may think appropriate and relevant to the discussion others may not. Why don't we just ban anyone from saying anything? Let's just ban the whole site so nobody has to scroll past an opinion that differs from their own. Oh, right there IS a way to deal with posts you don't want to read or think are off topic : you just scroll past them.
Example of "out of control "?

But I have to say one thing: Mods did great job that prevent this site become Reddit
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
GateGuardian wrote: Can we start issuing warnings or temporary ban for users going off topic on threads related to COVID-19 (besides the Off Topic forum)?

There's so many threads, especially in the travel section, where some users are asking legitimate questions only to be derailed by off-topic posts and one liners/zingers, only to have the thread locked. Can't even help someone whose asking a real honest question.....

Thanks!

Travel forum is new off topic :))
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
GateGuardian wrote: Can we start issuing warnings or temporary ban for users going off topic on threads related to COVID-19 (besides the Off Topic forum)?

Thanks!
We would not typically issue a formal warning / infraction, or even a ban for someone simply going "off topic"; however, if that person(s) were trolling or breaking other forum rules, then we would act accordingly.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8461 upvotes
GTA
Same thing just happened today with a book deal in Hot Deals. A certain group of users didn't agree with the book's message and devolved the whole thread into politics. Now the deal is locked.
Basically some people are using the forum's rules as a way to censor what they don't like, by bogging down things so the whole thread gets locked. I don't know if banning people is the answer, but there must be a better way. Like maybe moderating earlier instead of locking later?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
BernardRyder wrote: Same thing just happened today with a book deal in Hot Deals. A certain group of users didn't agree with the book's message and devolved the whole thread into politics. Now the deal is locked.
Basically some people are using the forum's rules as a way to censor what they don't like, by bogging down things so the whole thread gets locked. I don't know if banning people is the answer, but there must be a better way. Like maybe moderating earlier instead of locking later?
Moderation on time and early certainly is better

But then RFD has to change business model. I remember mods are volunteers ( not sure whether it's still the case), but if moderation Is based on who has time, then it won't work. Might be should get a couple full time paid mods?
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: I remember mods are volunteers ( not sure whether it's still the case),
Yes we're free volunteers. That has never changed.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
Doesn't even need to be ban instantly, just a warning to stay on topic or move the discussion to off topic.

LOL it's always the same people causing the thread to get locked.....
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
GateGuardian wrote:
LOL it's always the same people causing the thread to get locked.....
That's how and why they were banned

Repeat offenders:))))
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8461 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote: That's how and why they were banned

Repeat offenders:))))
Thread locked doesn't necessarily mean poster is banned :-/
Fact is it is a tactic used by certain groups to prevent thought outside of what they feel is the only answer. So get used to it here on RFD, because I don't see a solution forthcoming.
Really, the only thing to do is pull the same tactic on threads these groups find important until everything gets bogged down *shrug*
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BernardRyder wrote: Same thing just happened today with a book deal in Hot Deals. A certain group of users didn't agree with the book's message and devolved the whole thread into politics. Now the deal is locked.
I lol'ed when I saw that... The end result (White Fragility book thread got "disappeared") is highly indicative of how much sway the "racism doesn't exist" faction has around here...
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10120 posts
10230 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: I lol'ed when I saw that... The end result (White Fragility book thread got "disappeared") is highly indicative of how much sway the "racism doesn't exist" faction has around here...
Yup, when I saw that in hot deals I didn't even need to go intibthe thread to know it was going to attract a certain group of fragile people to brigade it
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
StatsGuy wrote: Yup, when I saw that in hot deals I didn't even need to go intibthe thread to know it was going to attract a certain group of fragile people to brigade it
Which deal?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8461 upvotes
GTA
konfusion666 wrote:
I lol'ed when I saw that... The end result (White Fragility book thread got "disappeared") is highly indicative of how much sway the "racism doesn't exist" faction has around here...
StatsGuy wrote: Yup, when I saw that in hot deals I didn't even need to go intibthe thread to know it was going to attract a certain group of fragile people to brigade it
I suppose that deal was too much for some fragile people to handle.

So, anyone see any good deals on Trump's Art of the Deal? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
c'mon get happy!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)