• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2021 10:07 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
880 posts
341 upvotes
toronto

temperature in your garage

curious what your temperature is in your garage for those that have non insulated garage door..when temperature is 0 degrees like today what is your garage temp..for those that have garge attached to house

thanks
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15951 posts
17189 upvotes
Oakville
My attached garage has an insulated door, I also insulated the one exterior wall. However, I have a lot of air leaking from around the door as the seals are bad, that's a project for next summer.
Right now my garage temp is 10C and it goes down to 7C on very cold days. We also use the garage as a primary entrance, so it opens frequently.
I recently redid the interior wall insulation, which will actually keep the garage colder, because less heat will transfer from the house.
Last edited by engineered on Dec 14th, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2884 posts
583 upvotes
Ancaster
In my old house we had no insulation on the walls or ceilings and no insulated garage door. The garage was bitterly cold....almost same temperature as outside.

We bought a Garaga insulated door that was draft free but it only raised our garage temperature to maybe 4-5 degrees better than outside.

Our current home we have an insulated door, walls and ceiling and the garage is usually about 15 degrees warmer than outside.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11952 posts
8621 upvotes
GTA, ON
Let's put it this way: who needs an additional refrigerator in the winter when you got the garage?

On a day like today with zero outside, mid-digits. Without a thermometer, hard to know, but I'd say it's probably about 6 deg in there.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4726 posts
1691 upvotes
Never bothered to check the temperature in the garage ... it's not like its a mancave in there.

Insulated walls ... garage door is still the cheap builder crap.

But it's south-facing .... so it is warmer than my neighbour's across the street.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Oct 2, 2018
495 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
My garage is uninsulated roof and walls, and offset as it is a side split bungalow and only shares about 15 feet of one side wall with the main house.

Temperature is about 4-5 degrees celcius above outside.

There is no heat source into the garage so being uninsulated and no floor above the garage it's likely the best its gonna be.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1741 posts
1161 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is currently 9C warmer than outside measured on the inside surface of the door (non insulated).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8933 posts
3321 upvotes
Mississauga
My garage in a single detached 1-car garage home, is currently 7 degrees celsius; and 1 degree outside. That is based on a thermometer reading on the inner most part of the garage next to the door into the home. I'm sure if I place it at the front where the garage door is, it might be slightly colder.

That's with standard builder thin plywood garage doors or whatever they use. No insulation, and no seals, and can see obvious gaps when closed (only 3 years old the home).
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12071 posts
8361 upvotes
Edmonton
It was -20 here overnight this last weekend, and my detached garage stayed above freezing. It’s a 1939 double car garage, with wood chip insulation (single pane windows, insulated large single door). I did turn on my electric heater during the days, which got it up to a temp of about 15 degrees, but turned off the heat at night since I wasn’t actually in the garage doing stuff.

In my experience, insulation makes a significant difference. Without that, you’ll stay pretty close to ambient outdoor temps. With insulation but no heat, you’ll get a gain of about 5 to 10 degrees.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1472 posts
611 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Let's put it this way: who needs an additional refrigerator in the winter when you got the garage?
THIS! In my old townhouse, the entry door to the garage was close to the kitchen so it was great to be able to leave drinks out to chill when guest come over and/or wanting something to cool fast before putting it into the fridge.

New old house has two car garage, but not a stitch of insulation anywhere in the garage, it feels colder inside the garage than outside at times when it's cold out.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12213 posts
6752 upvotes
Brampton
13.1 according to my sensor.

Usually around the 10 degree mark when it super cold. Depends on how long umi have the door open and if the two cars have hot engines or not.

It's comfortable enough for me to ONR wash the cars in a sweater on the coldest winter days.
Images
  • CA00305D-0432-47E9-81E6-7877C6C9F651.jpeg
May 21, 2015
904 posts
436 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
18c in my garage all winter. We live in a tradition 4 level split with the double car garage. THe house is hot water heating and there's one long radiator along the back wall of the garage so it's always toasty in there.. The original doors weren't insulated so I just added styrofoam insulation to them. . I use the garage as a workshop / greenhouse for storing outdoor plants and germinating new ones for the spring. I also keep my motorcycle in there so I can ride it all year if the streets are clear/no salt/ice for the occasional spin.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3954 posts
2933 upvotes
GTA
With ceiling heater from Princess Auto it gets to toasty 20 degrees Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jan 29, 2004
252 posts
204 upvotes
I felt my garage was extremely cold last year, whatever it was outside was the same inside. All the walls are insulated, but the garage door is a basic wooden one.

My pandemic projects this year included adding draft barriers to the outside of the garage door, window insulation, and styrofoam panels from Lowe’s (supposedly rated at R8). Result (so far) is a 10 degree difference from the outside temps.

I use my garage as a workshop, sandbox area...and fridge occasionally, so I figured it’s worth a shot to try to make it warmer.
Apr 13, 2016
160 posts
28 upvotes
My walk-in refrigerator is about the same as outside.
however, when it get really cold in Montreal, it stays a fair bit warmer.
Mar 21, 2004
115 posts
6 upvotes
North York
Outside temperature is -3ºC, garage is 5ºC
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4565 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver
2-car garage that's part of the house, so about 1/2 the walls and roof have exterior exposure. Door fits reasonably tightly, but there are small gaps and it's not insulated.

Temperature in the garage is about 1/2-way between outdoor and indoor temperature, probably a few degrees more toward outdoor.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10247 posts
2808 upvotes
im in Edmonton, even on the -35 nights our front attached garage stays above zero, the coldest it gets is 1-2 degrees on those days, most days are 6-7 degrees

insulated walls and insulated garage door.

makes for a great beer fridge for 4-5 months a year.