Temporary Licence Plate? - Ont

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2021 6:47 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2017
872 posts
1482 upvotes

Temporary Licence Plate? - Ont

I read MTO's website and it only mentions a temporary plate sticker not the plate itself. I'm looking at a used car and I'm wondering if it's possible to get a temporary licence plate (like those paper plates in the US) for that car?

My current plates are attached to my car until it gets sold in 2 weeks. I intend to attach my current plates to the used vehicle after.
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3340 posts
1935 upvotes
Mississauga
Ontario no longer uses paper temp plates. I think they stopped around 2012 or 2013.

If you need a temporary plate you can get a new metal plate($20) from the MTO but without a sticker with a printed expiry date. Instead you'll get a 'T' sticker which is valid for 10 days. It can only be renewed once for an additional 10 days. It is meant to be used to drive the car to a repair shop or to get a safety certificate.

So
Options A is to move the your old plate to the new car(or vice versa); and get a new Temp plate for the old car. Hope it sells while the 'T' sticker is still valid.

Option B is to get the temp plate for the new car. When you sell the old car you can then return the temp plate and transfer the old plate to the new car. You'll still be constrained on the time to sell before the sticker expires.

Option C is to get a new plate and a 1 year sticker which the MTO can register to your old or new car. When the old car sells return one plate of your choice and get a refund for the months remaining.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2017
872 posts
1482 upvotes
bubuski wrote: Ontario no longer uses paper temp plates. I think they stopped around 2012 or 2013.

If you need a temporary plate you can get a new metal plate($20) from the MTO but without a sticker with a printed expiry date. Instead you'll get a 'T' sticker which is valid for 10 days. It can only be renewed once for an additional 10 days. It is meant to be used to drive the car to a repair shop or to get a safety certificate.

So
Options A is to move the your old plate to the new car(or vice versa); and get a new Temp plate for the old car. Hope it sells while the 'T' sticker is still valid.

Option B is to get the temp plate for the new car. When you sell the old car you can then return the temp plate and transfer the old plate to the new car. You'll still be constrained on the time to sell before the sticker expires.

Option C is to get a new plate and a 1 year sticker which the MTO can register to your old or new car. When the old car sells return one plate of your choice and get a refund for the months remaining.
Very helpful. Thanks
Jun 11, 2019
320 posts
320 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Suggestion would be to go to the Service Ontario on Victoria St downtown. Besides the lines being shorter, there is a young Asian guy there who is beyond helpful. He will do everything he can to make sure you leave with what you need. Legally, of course, he's just very helpful and doesn't mind doing some of the work for you or letting unimportant things slide.
May 8, 2010
101 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to Hijack but I have a question in regards to getting a temp license plate sticker.

Do you have to pay taxes on the car when you get a temp sticker?

Thanks
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3340 posts
1935 upvotes
Mississauga
Sauce wrote: Sorry to Hijack but I have a question in regards to getting a temp license plate sticker.

Do you have to pay taxes on the car when you get a temp sticker?

Thanks
Yes you have to pay taxes before getting the sticker.

The car will need the vehicle registration issued (green slip). It’s the normal registration paper which the permit on one half and the plate info on the other half.

You can’t get the new green slip(vehicle registration) issued in the new owners name without paying the taxes.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
striderKan wrote: Suggestion would be to go to the Service Ontario on Victoria St downtown. Besides the lines being shorter, there is a young Asian guy there who is beyond helpful. He will do everything he can to make sure you leave with what you need. Legally, of course, he's just very helpful and doesn't mind doing some of the work for you or letting unimportant things slide.
Toronto, Canada's downtown.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4325 posts
1414 upvotes
Brampton
I thought you could use your current plates with valid sticker to transport a newly bought car?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3340 posts
1935 upvotes
Mississauga
prod wrote: I thought you could use your current plates with valid sticker to transport a newly bought car?
Yes in certain situations but there are a list of restrictions. The main two are
- Your old car should have been disposed or sold before you can use the current plate to transport the replacement car.
- Replacement car needs to have a valid safety certificate.

If you are buying a car without Safety Certificate or the license plate is still attached to another car that you own then your only option is to get a temporary plate from the MTO.