temporary workers and health insurance

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2018 7:35 pm
Aug 24, 2014
280 posts
40 upvotes
North York

temporary workers and health insurance

A friend of mine came to Canada as a temporary worker (working holiday)

and got hit by a car yesterday. Unfortunately, the car ran away and my friend is not insured (no traveler's insurance whatsoever)

We are expecting a huge medical bill. Is there any way to reduce this cost?
17 replies
Banned
Mar 19, 2018
85 posts
17 upvotes
gushingtears wrote: A friend of mine came to Canada as a temporary worker (working holiday)

and got hit by a car yesterday. Unfortunately, the car ran away and my friend is not insured (no traveler's insurance whatsoever)

All the legal, official temporary worker (working holiday visa) must already have medical insurance while in Canada.

What type of insurance do I need for International Experience Canada?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre ... 939&top=25

International Experience Canada (IEC) provides youth with the opportunity to travel and work in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

OHIP for Temporary Foreign Workers in Ontario
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/p ... reign.aspx
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
494 posts
115 upvotes
gushingtears wrote: A friend of mine came to Canada as a temporary worker (working holiday)

This is Canada. Healthcare for everyone, even non-Canadians. Your friend is good. OHIP will cover it.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
heynayjk wrote: This is Canada. Healthcare for everyone, even non-Canadians. Your friend is good. OHIP will cover it.
What? MAybe in Ontario?

In Quebec non residents or tourists who require emergent care will get the bare minimum that is medically required, and then be served with the bill. Temporary workers and foreign students must have insurance.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
mr_raider wrote: What? MAybe in Ontario?

In Quebec non residents or tourists who require emergent care will get the bare minimum that is medically required, and then be served with the bill. Temporary workers and foreign students must have insurance.
It's the same in BC. Go to a hospital and don't have any type of medical coverage, be prepared to pull out your credit card.
Otherwise you and I get stuck with the bill (screwed)).
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2419 posts
971 upvotes
Pray for your friend, Legal temp worker covered by OHIP, which is right thing.

Legal temp worker helped Canadian economy, helped to pay tax dollar, they are good "diversity" not a burden or threat.
Far better than generation-lasting welfare bum, far better than illegals, and far better than those terrorist about or may not "re-integrated" to Canada with or without Canadian citizenship.
<signature removed>
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
Not all temp workers are covered in Ontario.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/p ... reign.aspx
Maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and
Be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period, and
Be physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
mr_raider wrote: What? MAybe in Ontario?

What happens if you get shot in the face?
Like 3 times. But they missed your brain. They just shot your face up pretty bad.
Do they just put a bandaid on it? :-0
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
UrbanPoet wrote: What happens if you get shot in the face?
Like 3 times. But they missed your brain. They just shot your face up pretty bad.
You'll get your surgery and a bill. They won't pay for out of hospital care like physio or rehab.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Isn’t it a legal requirement to have insurance when entering Canada?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Where is the news article? A pedestrian hit and run is serious enough to make at least the local news and especially if the victim is non canadian minority in a tough situation.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
For a hit and run, shouldn't the victim be able to claim from the uninsured/underinsured fund? I thought the insurance premium contributes a portion to that.
Apr 17, 2014
361 posts
217 upvotes
Calgary
MrsPotato wrote: Isn’t it a legal requirement to have insurance when entering Canada?
It is legal requirement for Working Holiday participants.
It looks like he/she wanted to save a few hundred bucks, so he/she needs to live with the consequences of not having insurance!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
utelurtz wrote: It is legal requirement for Working Holiday participants.
It looks like he/she wanted to save a few hundred bucks, so he/she needs to live with the consequences of not having insurance!
I know in other counteries, you have to physically show proof of Insurance, prior to being allowed to enter at security border crossings.
Shame on this idiot who didn’t get insurance while in another country!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: What happens if you get shot in the face?
If you can’t afford to pay for it. Yes. They send you back out the door you came in.
That’s what living in many counteries is like.
Apr 17, 2014
361 posts
217 upvotes
Calgary
MrsPotato wrote: I know in other counteries, you have to physically show proof of Insurance, prior to being allowed to enter at security border crossings.
Shame on this idiot who didn’t get insurance while in another country!
Yes, the border officers are supposed to check all necessary documents when activating the work permit under the Working Holiday Program. If you do not have insurance you will not get a visa. But unfortunately just a few officers do check all documents.
Sep 15, 2014
131 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i do not about the holiday program but temproary workers do not get insurance on day1 in ontario. there is a 60 day residence establishment\
myself was a temproary worker on work permit when i landed in canada and my company had a program called IHIP (proxy for ohip) issued by sunlife to cover till the ohip kicks in
sorry for your friend. please plan accordingly

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)