• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2019 5:36 am
[OP]
Jul 20, 2014
863 posts
182 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Tenant Board Hearing Monday

Going to my first hearing, I am evicting my tenant as he owes me 5000$ and hasn't paid. He said he is coming...

Just wondering anything I should know, or be prepared for, or anyone that has similar experiences to how the day went.
43 replies
Jul 26, 2015
214 posts
135 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bruenor9 wrote: Going to my first hearing, I am evicting my tenant as he owes me 5000$ and hasn't paid. He said he is coming...

Just wondering anything I should know, or be prepared for, or anyone that has similar experiences to how the day went.
Be sincere. Tell the truth. Do not lie. Just provide the facts.
You’ll be fine.
Jun 7, 2017
964 posts
720 upvotes
BC
Expect tenant not to show and have another hearing scheduled.
Jul 2, 2018
264 posts
258 upvotes
Furcorn wrote: Expect tenant not to show and have another hearing scheduled.
Sadly this is the usual scenario.
Realtor + Investor
[OP]
Jul 20, 2014
863 posts
182 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
RealtorInvestor wrote: Sadly this is the usual scenario.
If the tenant does not show the hearing gets rescheduled? I thought it just goes in the favour of the landlord??
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9985 posts
1873 upvotes
Toronto
bruenor9 wrote: If the tenant does not show the hearing gets rescheduled? I thought it just goes in the favour of the landlord??
I'm not an expert, but Ive heard real stories that it takes a long time to evict, like 10 months or something . Tenant has all these legal delays they can do.

All the best for tomorrow for you. Let us know how it went.
Sep 6, 2018
212 posts
90 upvotes
Just curious... before you accepted the tenant... did you do a credit check or employment check ? or get any references ?

Good luck your case. Hope it goes well for you.
bruenor9 wrote: Going to my first hearing, I am evicting my tenant as he owes me 5000$ and hasn't paid. He said he is coming...

Aug 14, 2011
311 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
sorry to hear that OP, good luck
it’s stories like this that have people wondering why the rental market is such a mess... what trash government policies we have to deal with
Real Estate Sales Agent
[OP]
Jul 20, 2014
863 posts
182 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Oh correction ,my hearing is actually tomorrow, in the afternoon too 1:30...

Also my tenant just texted me saying he cant make it but I guess that doesn't mean I won?
Oct 6, 2015
146 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Based on what I am reading so far, you are in contact with your tenant, did he give you any reason to why he's not paying the rent?

Well I hope things go in favour for you, I am facing a similar situation, my tenant owes my rent, the difference is he isn't responding to phone or text, I even texted him to meet him at the condo, but he was no show. I stuck a N4 on the door already, just waiting for the 14 day to pass. Honestly I dont know what to do next, this is all new to new, just taking it one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9985 posts
1873 upvotes
Toronto
bruenor9 wrote: Oh correction ,my hearing is actually tomorrow, in the afternoon too 1:30...

Also my tenant just texted me saying he cant make it but I guess that doesn't mean I won?
Funny how the tenant tells you he can't make it. That's not gonna help him (tenant)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9985 posts
1873 upvotes
Toronto
xxgosokxx wrote: Based on what I am reading so far, you are in contact with your tenant, did he give you any reason to why he's not paying the rent?

Well I hope things go in favour for you, I am facing a similar situation, my tenant owes my rent, the difference is he isn't responding to phone or text, I even texted him to meet him at the condo, but he was no show. I stuck a N4 on the door already, just waiting for the 14 day to pass. Honestly I dont know what to do next, this is all new to new, just taking it one step at a time.
Sounds like you are doing everything so far.

Was he like this when you first screened him? What was his credit score and employment salary?
Jul 22, 2015
284 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto, ON
xxgosokxx wrote: Based on what I am reading so far, you are in contact with your tenant, did he give you any reason to why he's not paying the rent?

For a couple of cases of beers, I can have people pay him a "visit" Neutral Face
[OP]
Jul 20, 2014
863 posts
182 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Not sure, he lost his job before, has a a good job now, paid once, then just stops paying.

I believe you can go in to your condo if you give him one day notice I believe?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9004 posts
10280 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
bruenor9 wrote: Not sure, he lost his job before, has a a good job now, paid once, then just stops paying.

I believe you can go in to your condo if you give him one day notice I believe?
What’s so hard about reading about all of this stuff on the LTB site? Makes me wonder what the other side of the story is.
Oct 6, 2015
146 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bruenor9 wrote: I believe you can go in to your condo if you give him one day notice I believe?
There is no reason for me to go into the condo, I wanted to talk to him. He is just not gonna be there if his intention was to avoid me.
Jan 7, 2019
320 posts
306 upvotes
Have a neighbour of your condo keep an eye on the unit. When he leaves, baracade the condo door so he cant get in.
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.