Personal Finance

Tenant Insurance: Personal Property coverage: anything lower than $27,000? (TD Insurance)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 8:29 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
104 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga

Tenant Insurance: Personal Property coverage: anything lower than $27,000? (TD Insurance)

Hi guys/gals,

I'm with TD Insurance and have Personal Property coverage = $27,000, which is far too high for my personal contents.

I'd be satisfied with max. $10k. But maybe there's no choice.
-Electronics (televisions/computers) a/c units / furniture etc.

Is that Personal Property amount of $27k, pretty standard?
I'll give them a phone call, but just thought I'd reach out here to anyone with knowledge.
Last edited by Marc9999 on Jun 1st, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1764 posts
777 upvotes
Clothes replacement is a big factor if you lost everything in a fire, you don't see it but it adds up.
Throw in home decor, pots and pans, dishware, toiletries, books, DVDs, video games and consoles, laptop, if you keep a bike indoors.

$27,000 may be more than you may need but not too much more after you add it up.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
104 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
sherman51 wrote: Clothes replacement is a big factor if you lost everything in a fire, you don't see it but it adds up.
Throw in home decor, pots and pans, dishware, toiletries, books, DVDs, video games and consoles, laptop, if you keep a bike indoors.

$27,000 may be more than you may need but not too much more after you add it up.
Ok, I'm getting old and forgot to include clothes & this isn't a clothing optional building (I have far too many long-sleeve button downs anyway...), or pots/pans. Yes, I have a bicycle, but I bought it off Kijiji = cheap. No video game consoles, but I get your point.
I feel like I've had this conversation before with a TD rep., but again - my memory is crap lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1244 posts
1059 upvotes
Calgary
Marc9999 wrote: Ok, I'm getting old and forgot to include clothes & this isn't a clothing optional building (I have far too many long-sleeve button downs anyway...), or pots/pans. Yes, I have a bicycle, but I bought it off Kijiji = cheap. No video game consoles, but I get your point.
I feel like I've had this conversation before with a TD rep., but again - my memory is crap lol.
Also worth pointing out that the loss of use coverage is usually a set percentage of your contents coverage. So if you set your contents coverage too low you might be under-covered on that side. If your apartment/house gets flooded and you have to move out for a month, you'd want a decent amount to cover accommodation.