• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2019 11:57 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
33 posts
57 upvotes

Tenant left possessions and property on premises

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding a tenant leaving his possessions (everything is here, clothes, computer, passport, drivers license etc.) in the room I rented out to him now that the agreement expired. The tenant's rental agreement was up at the end of April (yesterday) for which he paid in full. However, last week he was hospitalized and has left everything of his in the room that I rented out to him, his car is also in my driveway (a beater, 2001 Honda). His family has since contacted me but there is no firm date to pick up his stuff (apparently the tenant is not cooperating with his family).

Now my question is, what exactly can I do here? Am I allowed to just dispose of his stuff after a certain period of time if his family doesn't come grab it? What are my options with the vehicle in the driveway?

Another thing of note is that I live on the property and shared a kitchen and living space with this guy so the RTA doesn't apply here.

Thanks for your help.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4924 upvotes
Here 'n There
should be moved to the real estate section.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2148 upvotes
GTA
Guys in the hospital....cut him a break unless he was a complete dick to you
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14916 posts
3310 upvotes
Toronto
Pay him a visit to see how he is doing and try to get a sense of timelines.

Also, refer to page 30 here: https://www.torontotenants.org/sites/to ... %20law.pdf

Note that the document is written from the view of the Tenant, not the Landlord.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Jun 19, 2011
86 posts
22 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Hewhewhew wrote: Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding a tenant leaving his possessions (everything is here, clothes, computer, passport, drivers license etc.) in the room I rented out to him now that the agreement expired. The tenant's rental agreement was up at the end of April (yesterday) for which he paid in full. However, last week he was hospitalized and has left everything of his in the room that I rented out to him, his car is also in my driveway (a beater, 2001 Honda). His family has since contacted me but there is no firm date to pick up his stuff (apparently the tenant is not cooperating with his family).

Now my question is, what exactly can I do here? Am I allowed to just dispose of his stuff after a certain period of time if his family doesn't come grab it? What are my options with the vehicle in the driveway?

Another thing of note is that I live on the property and shared a kitchen and living space with this guy so the RTA doesn't apply here.

Thanks for your help.
Whether or not the tenant was mean to you, or you decide to do a hospital visit; the outcome should be the same. This is a question about being civil to someone. What harm is there in storing his stuff somewhere in the house. Must be able to find a corner space somewhere. Keep his valuables in your possession. If you don't want my advice, ask your mother. Send the tenant a "get well" card would be tops...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7016 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
Hewhewhew wrote: Hi all,

Thanks for your help.
Maybe the story in lost in subtext here but holy crap. Guy's in hospital for a few days past his lease end and you're already asking about disposing his stuff? Have a heart man, rent a storage unit for a week and move his stuff there. I know it's business but we're all human in the end and deserve a little dignity.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8674 posts
1620 upvotes
As mentioned above, don't be a dick. The guy's under enough stress already without having to worry about his stuff. He's all paid up, move his stuff to a corner and secure it. If the car isn't blocking anyone, leave it. Visit him in the hospital, be sincere, and if you do have to move his car ask him about it. Be understanding and try to help where you can.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11877 posts
8133 upvotes
Edmonton
Frankie3s wrote: As mentioned above, don't be a dick. The guy's under enough stress already without having to worry about his stuff. He's all paid up, move his stuff to a corner and secure it. If the car isn't blocking anyone, leave it. Visit him in the hospital, be sincere, and if you do have to move his car ask him about it. Be understanding and try to help where you can.
He was paid up until the end of April, and the OP's brother is currently having to live with parents until the tenant's room is emptied. OP has another thread in the Real Estate sub-forum with more details. He's trying to do the right thing. Otherwise he would have just tossed everything out a few days ago. The RTA says 72 hours, and this situation doesn't even need to abide by that.

C
Apr 2, 2009
898 posts
188 upvotes
Markham
Zamboni wrote: Guys in the hospital....cut him a break unless he was a complete dick to you
Even then, I'd still cut him some slack.
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8674 posts
1620 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: He was paid up until the end of April, and the OP's brother is currently having to live with parents until the tenant's room is emptied. OP has another thread in the Real Estate sub-forum with more details. He's trying to do the right thing. Otherwise he would have just tossed everything out a few days ago. The RTA says 72 hours, and this situation doesn't even need to abide by that.

C
Maybe so. The OP should still however speak with the person, and at the very least secure his belongings. This could be considered an extraneous circumstance, which could put the OP into some grey area should the tenant's possessions disappear.

If he can't speak with the tenant, then by all means seek guidance and follow the legal route in getting this issue resolved.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3163 posts
2134 upvotes
Toronto
First, threads should automatically lock if the OP doesn't chime in every 2 days or every 10 posts or something.

But, regardless, I think part of the OP's question relates to whether he can actually touch any of this guy's stuff in the first place. Who knows, maybe there's an envelope with $5000 cash in the room somewhere. Should the OP pack all this stuff into boxes and move it? Can he?

He's not a dick for starting to think about what to do with the guy's stuff. Nothing he can do about the guy being in the hospital. Keeping his stuff in the room doesn't make it any better or worse for the ex-tenant.

OP is looking for advice on whether he can actually pack up the stuff in the first place. He'd be doing the tenant a favor by doing this, but he needs to tread carefully messing around with other people's property without witnesses.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4924 upvotes
Here 'n There
Put yourself in his position and what you would want your landlord to do if you got sick and was stuck in the hospital.

Sheesh. Is it THAT difficult for you to be a reasonable person? I pity anyone who rents from you!
Apr 15, 2009
212 posts
229 upvotes
toronto
Doesn’t he move to month to month once agreement expires? At least my understanding for Ontario is such. Can’t kick him out until he actually leaves himself.
Unless you start eviction process or something..
No?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11877 posts
8133 upvotes
Edmonton
mstefa wrote: Doesn’t he move to month to month once agreement expires? At least my understanding for Ontario is such. Can’t kick him out until he actually leaves himself.
No?
The agreement isn’t covered by the RTA, because the OP lives there too.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11633 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
mstefa wrote: Doesn’t he move to month to month once agreement expires? At least my understanding for Ontario is such. Can’t kick him out until he actually leaves himself.
No?
Share space is different my friend.
Mar 25, 2017
475 posts
254 upvotes
OP is a selfish psychopath, Jesus. Visit a psychiatrist to find out if you are normal or not. This is for your own and goodness of those surrounded by you.