Real Estate

tenant locked a room. who is responsible for locksmith?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 8:39 pm
[OP]
Dec 2, 2014
61 posts
7 upvotes

tenant locked a room. who is responsible for locksmith?

tenant told me they locked the powder room and their stuff is inside.

I never had to have a key for the powder room so the powder room remains locked.

Since it was in working order before the tenant had moved in, who should be paying for the locksmith to unlock the powder room?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
The tenant is if they are the sole occupier. Powder room doorsets usually are keyless with a pinhole that allows for it to be opened in case it is locked from the outside in error.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Here I thought everyone tormented their siblings by "picking" the bathroom lock... Guess it was just my family.

If the OP calls a locksmith in for that, it will be the easiest money the locksmith makes this year, assuming it's a normal privacy handset.

If not, I'd be charging the tenant for it, since it was a direct result of the tenant's action. Everything is working as intended. Their stuff is securely in the powder room, just like it should be.

C
Dec 3, 2019
505 posts
461 upvotes
Ontario
I think it's a gray area.

The bathroom locks come with a tool like an Allen key so they can be easily unlocked. Sooner or later everyone locks the bathroom from the outside, especially with kids.

I would offer to split the cost. Install a new lock at the same time that only requires a flat head screw driver to be unlocked.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1593 posts
961 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
I think it depends on the lock. If your powder room has a lock and key type situation, then you're responsible, especially if you never gave the key to the tenant.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: In either case , the Tennant will be paying.
I think @kittypink has it right. If the landlord left a lock with no key (as in, an exterior door lock on an interior door) and the tenant locked it accidentally, then the landlord should pay. If it’s a regular privacy lock, then it’s the tenant’s problem.

C
Dec 22, 2004
561 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
Do they need it open right away? You can get a lock pick gun off Amazon. Super easy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6390 posts
6805 upvotes
Toronto
my_sir wrote: Do they need it open right away? You can get a lock pick gun off Amazon. Super easy.
Just hit it with a solid hip check.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses