• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 6:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 30, 2009
21 posts
8 upvotes
Ajax

Tenant problem

Have tenant in basement in our rural northern Ontario property, ever since we asked them to move late last year because we need place for ourselves they have been hard to deal with. Recently basement flooded because they were putting grease in drain, which is only used by them (they cannot claim it’s us) and they are first tenants since kitchen is brand new. So they caused the damage and deny they put any grease. Plumber confirmed and I seen him taking out huge amount of grease from the sump pit. They are not paying rent nor utilities and they don’t want to pay for damages unless we extend lease for a year. They called city but got not help so they are insisting we fix floor. I have served them N4, N5, N7, N12. N5 for utilities and damage and N7 because they were aggressive and abusing us in front of our kids and saying things about religion. I am filing LTB but does anyone have any luck getting damages out of tenants ? How about small claims court? They are saying it’s maintenance issue that basement flooded but we have proof it’s not. They put grease in drain that caused blockage and flooding. Any suggestion ?
95 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7565 posts
4903 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Welcome to hell. This (and many similar stories) is why I would never want to rent out a suite in my own home. If I can't afford the house without a tenant I'm not buying. Sorry for your headaches.
Member
User avatar
Jan 7, 2019
368 posts
370 upvotes
Not sure but since the flood was caused by them and you have proof everything is new... Just tell them you don't have the funds to clean up since they aren't paying rent and have them live in the sh*thole they created for themselves.

Drag out everything and ask only to speak through lawyers. Make them cough up some cash.
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Sr. Member
Mar 30, 2017
959 posts
665 upvotes
NEVER EVER be a landlord in Ontario.
I hope you can evict them for justic.
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15152 posts
11635 upvotes
Tarrana
Where is BlogTO? Nowhere to be seen.

A broken system. A tenant can fully say “I’m not paying” and there it is. Free rent for months. It’s not fair and it never gets covered.

I would take it to the streets. You’ll have to legally apply pressure on them to GTFO don’t fix a thing. Once they damaged the property due to their own negligence Ian’s stopped paying rent, I wouldn’t help them with anything. As others have said just tell them, this is now a legal matter and they will have to go through your lawyer for any further contact. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5108 posts
4050 upvotes
So sorry to hear OP - there are so many of these case and it makes me both mad and sad - sad that they're degenerates like this and mad because of the government is so out of touch. Good luck - I hope you can get him out soon. I would be tempted to wait until he's gone out and change the locks and toss his stuff out.
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 30, 2009
21 posts
8 upvotes
Ajax
The problem is they did everything (too many things to list here) to put our whole family in stress. Every time we see them they say something hurtful and hope we respond back so far we have not responded in their language only said that “God bless them” because they certainly need it. I go beyond what’s required by landlord to help but system is definitely broken. There should be quick way to get rid of tenants who consistently don’t pay rent on time. Although I will request expedited hearing/eviction with LTB but LTB cannot enforce them to pay for rent/damages then I understand I have to go thru small claims court.

Has any Landlord had any experience with damages claim at small claim court level ? Is it worth it? How long does it take? Roughly damages and rent amount to $12,000 to date.

Is there website/forum where I can put their info so no other landlord become victim? I can provide proof of my claim not just one sided story and make a bad name for tenant.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12669 posts
9279 upvotes
Edmonton
zaino22 wrote: The problem is they did everything (too many things to list here) to put our whole family in stress. Every time we see them they say something hurtful and hope we respond back so far we have not responded in their language only said that “God bless them” because they certainly need it. I go beyond what’s required by landlord to help but system is definitely broken. There should be quick way to get rid of tenants who consistently don’t pay rent on time. Although I will request expedited hearing/eviction with LTB but LTB cannot enforce them to pay for rent/damages then I understand I have to go thru small claims court.

Has any Landlord had any experience with damages claim at small claim court level ? Is it worth it? How long does it take? Roughly damages and rent amount to $12,000 to date.

Is there website/forum where I can put their info so no other landlord become victim? I can provide proof of my claim not just one sided story and make a bad name for tenant.
One of the big problems with small claims court is that even if you win, you still have the fun of trying to collect. Which is a whole other big pain in the butt.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15152 posts
11635 upvotes
Tarrana
CNeufeld wrote: One of the big problems with small claims court is that even if you win, you still have the fun of trying to collect. Which is a whole other big pain in the butt.

C
Yup.
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 30, 2009
21 posts
8 upvotes
Ajax
Help me out here, is enforcer uncle Tony with crowbar or something else ?

Also someone told me years ago there was website where landlord could put tenant info for other landlords to avoid them. More like unregulated tenants rating system.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2013
2289 posts
2450 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zaino22 wrote: Help me out here, is enforcer uncle Tony with crowbar or something else ?

Also someone told me years ago there was website where landlord could put tenant info for other landlords to avoid them. More like unregulated tenants rating system.
Uncle Tony with a sledgehammer.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3035 posts
2848 upvotes
Montreal
Wrestlemania wrote: OP, you need to hire an enforcer.
I've posted in the past about what an asinine suggestion that is. But just for fun:


Do tell where you'd find such a person. Kijiji thugs section?

And what would your "instructions" be?


What does that cost anyway? Do such services ever go on sale? Maybe in the Hot Deals section?
What about reviews? How would you pick one over another? Is satisfaction guaranteed? Refunds if the service doesn't work?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 30, 2005
1330 posts
750 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
People wonder why rent is so expensive and always blame landlords for being greedy and never stop to look in the mirror to realize they are partly to blame. All the best OP, I will never be a landlord because of all the horror stories.
Member
Sep 23, 2011
236 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
ZxExN wrote: People wonder why rent is so expensive and always blame landlords for being greedy and never stop to look in the mirror to realize they are partly to blame. All the best OP, I will never be a landlord because of all the horror stories.
Just an FYI: I stopped by the mirror and still don't realize why I'm partly to blame that there are scumbags in the world...
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3035 posts
2848 upvotes
Montreal
Saniokca wrote: Just an FYI: I stopped by the mirror and still don't realize why I'm partly to blame that there are scumbags in the world...

Clearly he didn't mean you personally. Just like some bad owners (eg ones that hire thugs) may be responsible for bad laws.

The solution isn't to assign blame, but to have reasonable legislation.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15152 posts
11635 upvotes
Tarrana
ZxExN wrote: People wonder why rent is so expensive and always blame landlords for being greedy and never stop to look in the mirror to realize they are partly to blame. All the best OP, I will never be a landlord because of all the horror stories.
Honestly, those are just stupid people. It’s not about greed it’s about protecting yourself in a climate where protection is minimal to non-existent. You have to command higher rent because of jackasses who damage property or don’t want to pay rent. You should see how some tenants return properties. They leave they key in the unit and run because they don’t want to go through walk through a and there’s nothing you can do.

So raise the rent as high as you can.
Member
Sep 23, 2011
236 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
JayLove06 wrote: Honestly, those are just stupid people. It’s not about greed it’s about protecting yourself in a climate where protection is minimal to non-existent. You have to command higher rent because of jackasses who damage property or don’t want to pay rent. You should see how some tenants return properties. They leave they key in the unit and run because they don’t want to go through walk through a and there’s nothing you can do.

So raise the rent as high as you can.
In short, it's called risk and return. If people understood the risk they would not be complaining about unfair rules because it would be priced in... The return (especially in Ontario) does not justify the risk but people still go in and still get burned.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3035 posts
2848 upvotes
Montreal
Saniokca wrote: If people understood the risk they would not be complaining about unfair rules because it would be priced in...
It's not possible to price in bad policy. For example: previous eviction delays could be priced in. Covid response should have been rent support, not court closures. But here we are.

Also, just because something is priced in, doesn't prevent people from voicing concerns.
Member
Sep 23, 2011
236 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
FrancisBacon wrote: It's not possible to price in bad policy. For example: previous eviction delays could be priced in. Covid response should have been rent support, not court closures. But here we are.

Also, just because something is priced in, doesn't prevent people from voicing concerns.
Don't get me wrong I am all for changing the system - there is a lot wrong with the current rules. But I disagree that as a taxpayer I should be subsidizing someone's investment. Are you ok with subsidizing corporations who pay me dividends?

Top