• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2019 5:24 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2004
11 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Tenant / Renters Insurance

How much do you pay? What is a good personal liability amount? $500K? What companies are good to deal with?
14 replies
Mar 5, 2013
497 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
The cost of the insurance will vary depending on the household, but $1M liability is considered the very basic. Call around for quotes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8033 posts
1581 upvotes
im with square one insurance. dont remember exactly but in the 1-2 mil range, with 1 mil usually being the minimum requested standard. usually comes out to $20ish a month.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3095 posts
463 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Been with RBC and TD both about 20-something a month, rising every year of course. If you have a car, go with the same provider might save a couple bucks.
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a car and live in the GTA, check your auto insurer. If they offer home insurance, a basic tenant policy will generally pay for itself because they will knock off a chunk of your automobile insurance premiums. The last two companies I was with had it so that a combo home+auto policy cost less than the auto policy alone, at least if your auto policy is expensive enough (in the GTA it usually is).
eldeejay wrote: Been with RBC and TD both about 20-something a month, rising every year of course. If you have a car, go with the same provider might save a couple bucks.
TD discounts your auto premiums by 12% for adding a home policy, which can easily be a couple hundred bucks.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1466 posts
509 upvotes
YVR, BC
google square one insurance, you can buy a policy online and pay recurring bill with a credit card so if you use Scotia Momentum or Tangerine you can get up to 4% cashback

500k liability with 40k personal items, 20k rider and 5000k earth quake deductible for $20/m
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1294 posts
280 upvotes
What's the absolute cheapest this can be? I want to nudge my tenants in this direction but I don't want it to be onerous.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1466 posts
509 upvotes
YVR, BC
basic is $15/m check it out you can pick what you want the amounts etc
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5650 posts
1823 upvotes
Space
State Farm is the cheapest I found. I paid about 10$ a month.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6479 posts
928 upvotes
Ottawa
bump, can folks recommend something dirt cheap..a landlord requires it and i just need the basics..i seen sq1 on kanetix with a uni discount, what else is there?
Jun 18, 2016
60 posts
14 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: bump, can folks recommend something dirt cheap..a landlord requires it and i just need the basics..i seen sq1 on kanetix with a uni discount, what else is there?
Who did you end up going with? In the same boat
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6479 posts
928 upvotes
Ottawa
ryepies wrote: Who did you end up going with? In the same boat
Didn’t end up taking ins. Landlord never asked again but if I had to go, I would’ve went to sq1.
Nov 30, 2007
759 posts
263 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Recently rented and went with Sonnet. Cheapest I could find in the Mississauga area for approx. $13/month (excluding Earthquake coverage).
Jan 4, 2013
578 posts
116 upvotes
TORONTO
very good information, is this for Ontario?
MJ125 wrote: How much do you pay? What is a good personal liability amount? $500K? What companies are good to deal with?
Nov 20, 2013
159 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I know this thread is old, but topic is relevant. Looking for affordable tennant insurance in BC (Vancouver). I do not own a car.
Please share your experiences, thanx!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Public Mobile customer, as well as Vancity, Novus, Modo, Evo and Endy mattress :)