Terminating Rental Agreement Question

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 11:49 am
[OP]
Mar 24, 2020
2 posts

Terminating Rental Agreement Question

Hello,
My friend is having an issue ending their rental agreement with their landlord. I am hopeful someone here has advice. This takes place in Ontario.

Prior to entering into the rental agreement, my friend told their current landlord that they were only interested in a short term lease (approximately 6-7 months), as they would be moving at the completion of a work project. The landlord agreed to this and told my friend to sign a 1-yr lease agreement and that my friend could end the lease at any time by giving 60 days notice. When my friend inquired why sign the 1-yr lease at all, they were told that the landlord’s insurance company requires a 1-yr lease. All of this my friend has in emails, which they showed me. The rental is a detached house, and my friend and their partner are the only occupiers.

Very recently, my friend contacted their landlord to give 60 days notice and their landlord refused. They requested my friend to fulfill the agreements of the lease. My friend brought up their previously agreed upon arrangement, which the landlord now denies agreeing to.

Thank you in advance.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4402 posts
2575 upvotes
Toronto
Kh123456 wrote: Hello,
My friend is having an issue ending their rental agreement with their landlord. I am hopeful someone here has advice. This takes place in Ontario.

Prior to entering into the rental agreement, my friend told their current landlord that they were only interested in a short term lease (approximately 6-7 months), as they would be moving at the completion of a work project. The landlord agreed to this and told my friend to sign a 1-yr lease agreement and that my friend could end the lease at any time by giving 60 days notice. When my friend inquired why sign the 1-yr lease at all, they were told that the landlord’s insurance company requires a 1-yr lease. All of this my friend has in emails, which they showed me. The rental is a detached house, and my friend and their partner are the only occupiers.

Very recently, my friend contacted their landlord to give 60 days notice and their landlord refused. They requested my friend to fulfill the agreements of the lease. My friend brought up their previously agreed upon arrangement, which the landlord now denies agreeing to.

Thank you in advance.
They could try simply leaving after the 7 months and stop paying after that. Let the landlord then go through the hassle to sue them in small claims court. If they have email proofs of the verbal agreement and the landlord knows this, they will probably not even try to sue.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Kh123456 wrote: Hello,

Thank you in advance.
First off, tell your friend not to sign any contracts in the future that they don't intend on following through on. But in this case, I don't see how the landlord is denying they agreed to cutting the lease short if it's all documented in e-mails.

In any case, I agree with @rob444... Do what they need to do, and let the landlord sue if they really want to (which they likely won't). They could also try a lease assignment or sublet, but that can be difficult to accomplish, depending on the current rental market.

C
[OP]
Mar 24, 2020
2 posts
Thank you for the responses. I will speak with my friend today and share them. My friend is concerned about being sued and the challenges that it would present after they move away in a couple months. I am hopeful for them that it does not go this route.

@CNeufeld When they explained this to me, I also asked why they signed the contract in the first place. My friend explained how this was the only landlord of any they contacted that was willing to do less than a 1-yr lease. I understand that at the time they took the landlord at their word, with the written communication to verify the agreement but, your point makes perfect sense to me.