• Aug 22nd, 2021 6:54 pm
[OP]
Jan 27, 2021
103 posts
40 upvotes
Scarborough

Termites or carpenter ant on deck?

Hi all,

We recently bought a house and notice there’s constantly wood particles that come out from inside the wood on our deck. The deck is around 30 yrs old, any tips on how to stop and fix this issue?

Is this termites or carpenter ant? Thank you in advance
Images
  • IMG_2287.jpeg
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
More like termite damage I think.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3691 posts
3014 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Carpenter ants leave finer wood dust and neater clumps but it could have swelled with moisture and rain. There are other boring beetles that could be the culprit as well. If you live in Southern Ontario, carpenter ants have been a huge problem the last few years. I blast around my house, yard and in my basement, some crawling insect spray. Either that or I have spiders, ants and centipedes all over the place. And yes, I live in the city. If it's carpenter ants there will be a main nest somewhere... I found one in a tree stump at the back of my lot and went medieval on them with the sprayer.

Even if you replace the boards you'll have to deal with whatever boring insect you have, beforehand.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3270 posts
1161 upvotes
Toronto
Just a wild guess, but it could also be carpenter bees. We've had a few of those around our house. Had to kill them one by one and then fill in the holes to make sure the young ones didn't have a chance to develop.
Out with the Glazers!
May 26, 2020
79 posts
65 upvotes
Do you see any ants activity? I would remove the board and inspect.
30 years old deck… maybe time for replacement
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7587 posts
8183 upvotes
Vancouver
Carpenter ants are common, but one thing to realize is that they chew through rotting wood, not wood in good condition. If you see carpenter ant damage, it's a visual indication that you have rotting wood in your deck that needs replacing. As for getting rid of carpenter ants, diatomaceous earth is the best - it sticks to them like a coating of sharp micro-glass-shards and they hate it, but it's non-toxic.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2021
103 posts
40 upvotes
Scarborough
thank you, I applied some wd-40 in those areas and then will also give Okin a call tmr