Shopping Discussion

In terms of Internet stability, is Bell better than Rogers?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 11:26 am
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
229 posts
298 upvotes

In terms of Internet stability, is Bell better than Rogers?

I am with Rogers and lag is a problem daily
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15091 posts
3008 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
MiNuNDeCoMpUtEr wrote: I am with Rogers and lag is a problem daily
This is unprecedented time. Bell on fiber is typically better though but it goes down too
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15873 posts
13090 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We always thought so.

Had Bell Internet for work from home for decades
Never a complaint
Expensive ... but performed as advertised / promised

Now we are retired and its just us (leisure) ... don’t require that GUARANTEE
We’ve moved to the much cheaper Tech Savvy option
Happy so far
Apr 2, 2020
16 posts
19 upvotes
If you're able to get anything at the "Fibe 50/50" or better I would expect a better connection if you're experiencing lag. Although in some areas bell still only has DSL so you're kinda in a crap-chute with that one. "Internet Plus / Fibe Internet" are between 5 - 10mbps and you more than likely wouldn't see that much of a benefit and in my opinion STAY AWAY from pair bonding. When ever you are looking at internet packages I would always ask if it's going to be pair bonded (Most cases it's only in 50 - 100mbps) and I can honestly say that pass more calls to tech for pair bonding than anything else. In some cases it works flawlessly, but if you're one of the people it doesn't work well for it's way too much of a headache... And if you're futher into the boonies you -might- be eligible for "Wireless Home Internet" which can be great in the areas it's offered but that would be best found out by looking at the packages available for your address.

TL:DR If you can get a matched download / Upload it would be on fiber and probably going to help with the lag. Beyond that it would be comparing the packages on the website and seeing if maybe you have something faster though Bell that ISN'T pair bonded (you'd have to ask if it was) could help. You could also always suspend the Rogers internet and try Bells for a month and if it isn't to your liking or worth it then cancel it, there is no contract or terms for internet with bell.
Although I claim to work for Bell I do not speak for them. Everything I say or post will be of my own words and opinions.
Any information I provide would be the same information I would be comfortable providing to anyone on any call I would take at work.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22102 posts
16697 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Now we are retired and its just us (leisure) ... don’t require that GUARANTEE
We’ve moved to the much cheaper Tech Savvy option
Happy so far
TekSavvy wholesales Internet access from bHell and Robbers. Depending on which service you have with TSI, it's either bHell VDSL or Robbers cable. So it's possible what you have with TSI now is essentially what you had before with bHell, except that you're paying less, getting much better customer service--AND dealing with a company that has good business ethics.

Generally VDSL is more reliable and consistent than cable because less of the infrastructure is shared. Cable can get bogged down, especially in the evenings when everyone is using it. Of course these days with most people on lockdown, "evenings" start at 07:00 and end after midnight ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 15, 2015
691 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
MiNuNDeCoMpUtEr wrote: I am with Rogers and lag is a problem daily
With Rogers and experience 0 lag. Have been Rogers since 2006 or teksavvy briefly, and never had issues with either of them.

Running a Plex server with 10 users, the gf on netflix constantly, and me playing cod all day.

I would say there is likely heavier traffic in some areas causing issues at the source level or your home network isn't configured for all the devices. You'll find people who love or hate both, I'm in different, rogers has just always offered me a lower price for my TV/Cable package.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1934 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Coming from someone who has both had bell and rogers. Bell is far superior than rogers. Cable is slow, and shared and just obsolete, and had way to many downtimes compared to when I had adsl/vdsl. I Would never get cable again.
😎Thanks RFD😎