• Jan 3rd, 2020 10:52 am
[OP]
Oct 12, 2011
84 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Terms of service changes without notifcation

Hi guys,

I just found out that Stack silently changed their terms of service agreement for the Amazon offer and as a result they are no longer crediting me for my Amazon subscription. Not a huge deal but I am wondering if this is this legal? I would think not as everyone would be offering a deal to hook you and once hooked change the agreement without notification and then hide behind they changed it. Is there any regulation someone can point me to that would stop this?

Thanks
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8655 posts
2350 upvotes
you are right, wasn't credited this month

and i checked on the chat, you didnt spend $100 outisde of amazon so you lost it and we didn't tell you. I would be mad with notice, i am furious without. Who does that?

they must be out of money
Last edited by zoro69 on Oct 1st, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1676 posts
410 upvotes
Mississauga
very sneaky! they also change the T&C for the netflix offer!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
It was a free promo and subjected to changed without notice.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8655 posts
2350 upvotes
BMDJag wrote: Hi guys,

I just found out that Stack silently changed their terms of service agreement for the Amazon offer and as a result they are no longer crediting me for my Amazon subscription. Not a huge deal but I am wondering if this is this legal? I would think not as everyone would be offering a deal to hook you and once hooked change the agreement without notification and then hide behind they changed it. Is there any regulation someone can point me to that would stop this?

Thanks
Send a complaint here
https://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/ ... x?lang=eng
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3949 posts
2459 upvotes
Vancouver
vkizzle wrote: It was a free promo and subjected to changed without notice.
Except the promo might be the primary/only reason some people signed up. This is basically bait and switch. I passed on the promo since I already had the Netflix and prime (plus didn’t need a prepaid cc) but if I signed up and it got cancelled I would be pretty mad too.
Dec 8, 2009
584 posts
583 upvotes
For those who are interested this is from the T&C:
Terms and Conditions:

In order to qualify for this offer, you must: (1) be the recipient of this offer; and (2) open a new STACK account between November 8, 2018 and January 4th, 2019, (3) set STACK as your default payment method on Amazon.ca on or before March 30, 2019 and (4) spend $100 minimum outside offer redemption’s with your STACK account by Sep 1, 2019.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3949 posts
2459 upvotes
Vancouver
TempletonPeck wrote: For those who are interested this is from the T&C:
From the stack mega thread it sounds like the T&C was changed after September 1st so users really didn’t get any warning nor would the warning matter since it was given after the deadline. Seems pretty shady to me.
May 8, 2001
725 posts
1043 upvotes
Yeah, my dad's Amazon offer got rescinded too. On chat they basically confirmed they did not give any notice but he argued that in the terms they can change the offer. Which basically means if you don't check the terms and conditions everyday you are out of luck. He had no response when I asked if that is really what one is suppose to do.

My stack cards are fine because I did spend way more than $100 on my cards. But now, I'm not pleased with how they handle this. I've been using my KOHO prepaid more and more since it has Apple Pay for a few months now and Stack doesn't. Plus at least a small amount of cashback. I will only use Stack for foreign transactions.
Discounted e-Gift Cards: WaySpa
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4647 posts
4436 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
And of course the mega thread is locked so we can't even go back into that topic for everyone to see.

It was definitely only changed for September, that's the first one I didn't get back.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2011
84 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vkizzle wrote: It was a free promo and subjected to changed without notice.
Sure if you want to look at it that way you can. But forget not having the deal anymore the fact there was no notification means you can not react to the situation accordingly. As i said not really a big deal for me but come on, the only reason I know that I got charged and didn't get the promo is that I happened to take a look at the app and noticed that it didn't give me a credit. I don't recall correctly but you get no notification of being credited unless you open the app and take a look. What if instead of a 8 dollar charge with a 8 dollar credit it was a 800 dollar charge with a 800 dollar credit. You are telling me if you had a promo in the mythical scenario i proposed and all of a sudden got stuck with a $800 bill you would go "oh well, the promo was subject to change with no notice?" I think we can agree probably not so at what point does not matter that no notification was given.

Besides all that I asked to see the original terms of the promo and they said they dont have them now. So if we are going to be realistic about this, if a company can just go and sneakily change the terms of a promo in a bait and switch fashion you are telling me they wouldn't just slide a "subject to change without notification" clause and then just it was there all along?
[OP]
Oct 12, 2011
84 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zoro69 wrote: you are right, wasn't credited this month

and i checked on the chat, you didnt spend $100 outisde of amazon so you lost it and we didn't tell you. I would be mad with notice, i am furious without. Who does that?

they must be out of money
Agreed. In my case I am mainly more upset that they changed the terms without notification. Hell had they just said we are changing the terms today and if you didnt spend 100 bucks yesterday you are SOL i would have been like ok not cool but at least i can react to this instead of discovering it when its too late and getting a unexpected charge.

I wonder if complaining to master card is a option since this is a master-card product with their logo on it.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2011
84 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is there a way to get to the terms and conditions through the webpage without being given a direct link. I dont see one?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
Next time you guys should read the fine print...

https://www.canadiantravelhacking.com/s ... -20-bonus/
Terms and Conditions:

In order to qualify for this offer, you must: (1) be the recipient of this offer; and (2) open and fund a new STACK account between November 8, 2018 and December 26, 2018, and (3) set STACK as your default payment method on Amazon.ca on or before March 30, 2019.

This offer is valid for a limited time only, while supplies last.
Right now, STACK is available in Canada, excluding Quebec.
To qualify, you must open a new STACK account between November 8, 2018 and December 26, 2018 and set STACK as your default payment method on Amazon.ca on or before March 30, 2019.
For qualifying customers, STACK will reimburse your STACK account each month within 2-3 business days for one new or existing monthly Amazon Prime subscription for up to $7.99 CAD/month plus any applicable tax for up to 12 months or until March 30, 2020, whichever comes first.
Any information you submit on the STACK website will be subject to STACK’s Privacy Policy. Your STACK application must be approved by STACK before you become eligible for the benefit of this offer.
Your STACK account balance must be equivalent or higher to the monthly Amazon Prime subscription fee, plus any applicable tax, in order to be eligible to benefit from this offer each month.
Offer limited to one monthly Amazon Prime subscription per qualifying customer and email address.
This offer may not be combined with other offers or in conjunction with STACK accounts previously created.
Offer is available to select qualifying customers who were served an advertisement mentioning the offer.
Amazon Prime annual memberships are not eligible for this offer.
The maximum total benefit you may receive from this offer is $95.88 CAD in Amazon monthly subscription fees, plus any applicable taxes.
STACK reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
If you violate any of these terms and conditions, the offer will be invalid.
Offer is non-transferable, non-exchangeable, not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
Void where prohibited.
Any names, marks, emblems and images are registered trademarks of each respective entity.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22364 posts
17176 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
vkizzle wrote: STACK reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
That's a convenient legal out that probably protects them from any action by regulators.

But it doesn't mean that they should make such a change (a) retroactively and (b) without notice. I don't fault them for trying to staunch the financial bleeding from those who got the card only for the free year of Netflix or Amazon with no intent of actually using the card. But they went about it the wrong way.

Stack should have anticipated this sort of abuse and put something like the $100 minimum spend requirement in the Ts and Cs from the outset. That they didn't doesn't justify how they reacted when they discovered they were being taken to the cleaners by some users.

That said,
1. I have more sympathy for them, as fintech start ups with limited funds, than I would of a major bank with a huge marketing budget. They tried to cover up their marketing error hoping that no one (except the abusers) would notice and they got caught out.
2. The people who are complaining now got the card nearly a year ago. Yet they hadn't managed to run at least $100 through the card in that period. Perhaps they ought to ask themselves if they were acting in good faith Stack, i.e. whether they ever had any intent of using the card, rather than just to score a ~$100 freebie.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
bylo wrote: That's a convenient legal out that probably protects them from any action by regulators.

But it doesn't mean that they should make such a change (a) retroactively and (b) without notice. I don't fault them for trying to staunch the financial bleeding from those who got the card only for the free year of Netflix or Amazon with no intent of actually using the card. But they went about it the wrong way.

Stack should have anticipated this sort of abuse and put something like the $100 minimum spend requirement in the Ts and Cs from the outset. That they didn't doesn't justify how they reacted when they discovered they were being taken to the cleaners by some users.

That said,
1. I have more sympathy for them, as fintech start ups with limited funds, than I would of a major bank with a huge marketing budget. They tried to cover up their marketing error hoping that no one (except the abusers) would notice and they got caught out.
2. The people who are complaining now got the card nearly a year ago. Yet they hadn't managed to run at least $100 through the card in that period. Perhaps they ought to ask themselves if they were acting in good faith Stack, i.e. whether they ever had any intent of using the card, rather than just to score a ~$100 freebie.
I signed up on day 1 and took the NF promo.
IIRC, the notice came out near the end of the of July.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4647 posts
4436 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
bylo wrote: That's a convenient legal out that probably protects them from any action by regulators.

That said,
This isn't some "startup", STACK is under the Peoples Trust Company which is worth billions.
bylo wrote: Which thread is that? Stack MC : No ATM Fees, No FTF! NO REFERRALS IN THREAD with almost 200 pages wide open. Feel free to go back and see what's there and/or comment.
The original thread for the Amazon deal has been locked, that's the one I was referring to.