Automotive

Locked: Tesla “not Model 2” to release in 2023 (rumor/speculation)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 6:57 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9135 posts
7170 upvotes
Kitchener
tehwegz wrote: Everyone should be worried about inflation and supply squeezes.

Track your grocery purchases. Not only the prices, but the amount of product you get. They are lowering calorie/gram content of packages and shrinking them down in a way many barely notice day to day. Inflation & shrinkflation happening simultaneously at an unprecedented rate.
That's why everyone needs to shop by weight/volume and stop buying products when they skimp on how much goes into the box.

Many people don't.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1688 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: That's why everyone needs to shop by weight/volume and stop buying products when they skimp on how much goes into the box.

Many people don't.
This is why I plant a garden and try to eat as much of my own stuff as possible. The boxed stuff often (but not entirely) is processed.

Just last week there was even a trade of onions for cucumbers with a neighbour!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2930 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
KevinM56081 wrote: This is why I plant a garden and try to eat as much of my own stuff as possible. The boxed stuff often (but not entirely) is processed.

Just last week there was even a trade of onions for cucumbers with a neighbour!
Its good to be self sufficient and reliant.
Too many people rely on others for food, cooking, cleaning, simple repair, driving, parenting, etc.
Jr. Member
Jun 15, 2021
153 posts
110 upvotes
thelastword wrote: I am so sick and tired of all these pointless, useless, anger inducing, BS articles about affordable EV's being released.
300KM real world range for $30K OTD is all I ask for. I don't care if 0-60 is over 10 seconds.
What about 230km for 10k Euros (equiv 15k CAD) OTR? Because that's what Europe gets in 2022. Unfortunately, impossible to import and I believe we'll be stuck at 45k for many EV's for years to come.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
5878 posts
5209 upvotes
Ottawa
BDSL wrote: Well, my mom doesn't care much about acceleration in any vehicle. She just wants to get from point A to point B without hassle....she drives an older vehicle (i.e. ownership cost is extremely low) and the convenience of being able to fuel her vehicle anywhere (i.e. gas station every few km and takes 3-4 mins to fill her tank)...her residence also does not have charging station.
I love trying to merge onto the highway behind the 100hp slowpokes.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2930 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
Konowl wrote: I love trying to merge onto the highway behind the 100hp slowpokes.
And I love watching drivers accelerate very hard only to slam on the brakes a few seconds later.
The average speed on the highway in Toronto is not 120km/hr. It is more like 60km/hr.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
2688 posts
867 upvotes
Lévis
UrbanPoet wrote: So far ICE crew is winning.
16 down votes vs 2 up votes.
Ice crew pulled away with a strong lead right from the get go.
Yeah, like upvotes and downvotes on RFD has any logic (except maybe for bell)...
Pourquoi pas?
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 30, 2001
28861 posts
8122 upvotes
Toronto
keep the discussion about the Model 2
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
22398 posts
8665 upvotes
Socially Distanced
MrDisco wrote: keep the discussion about the Model 2
Fair enough.

It will be a great car becasue its lifecycle costs will beat a Yaris.
But the cost for EVs are upfront and the fuel savings come over time. Thats the tricky part.

That said if EV batteries fall to $75-100/kWh as hoped then the upfront cost of a future EV will be equivalent to a gasoline vehicle.
So at that point same price for either one but the EV costs 1/4 to 1/2 the cost for fuel.

All that said Tesla charges premium prices becasue it has premium features and the market is happy to pay the extra price. If the other players get serious then they can beat Tesla on price by selling lower end vehicles.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2930 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote: It will be a great car becasue its lifecycle costs will beat a Yaris.
Is this a fact or based on feelings?
A 2020 Yaris MSRP is les than CAD$20k. That is a fact.
The article speculates a Model 2 MSRP of USD$25k (CAD$31k). Will it be actually CAD$31k?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
22398 posts
8665 upvotes
Socially Distanced
BDSL wrote: Is this a fact or based on feelings?
A 2020 Yaris MSRP is les than CAD$20k. That is a fact.
The article speculates a Model 2 MSRP of USD$25k (CAD$31k). Will it be actually CAD$31k?
I am talking about lifecycle costs and then talk about the future beyond the Model 2.
*
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
5878 posts
5209 upvotes
Ottawa
BDSL wrote: Is this a fact or based on feelings?
A 2020 Yaris MSRP is les than CAD$20k. That is a fact.
The article speculates a Model 2 MSRP of USD$25k (CAD$31k). Will it be actually CAD$31k?
Considering its nothing more than a rumour at this point, what do you think.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2930 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote: I am talking about lifecycle costs and then talk about the future beyond the Model 2.
*
Lifecycle cost takes the initial capital cost (i.e. MSRP) into consideration. Without a real MSRP of the Model 2, how can one claim "lifecycle costs will beat a Yaris"?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2930 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
Konowl wrote: Considering its nothing more than a rumour at this point, what do you think.
I didn't claim a Model 2 lifecycle costs will beat a Yaris.
I am just pointing out the facts.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
22398 posts
8665 upvotes
Socially Distanced
BDSL wrote: Lifecycle cost takes the initial capital cost (i.e. MSRP) into consideration. Without a real MSRP of the Model 2, how can one claim "lifecycle costs will beat a Yaris"?
Kicking the can down the road as a debate tactic...
I used to hear similar stuff before the Model 3, but it seems recycling arguments is all some have left.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2930 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote: Kicking the can down the road as a debate tactic...
I used to hear similar stuff before the Model 3, but it seems recycling arguments is all some have left.
I used to hear wild claims by some RFD members. It seems some are still making wild claims without actual numbers and facts.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2930 posts
1670 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote: And when you are presented with facts you dismiss them.
Funny how when a rumour comes out you want facts, when something is real and you get facts you ignore them.

You don't want facts, you are just playing games
So give me your facts....tell me what is supporting your claim in Post #51 that a Model 2 lifecycle costs will beat a Yaris.
I am waiting.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
22398 posts
8665 upvotes
Socially Distanced
BDSL wrote: So give me your facts....tell me what is supporting your claim in Post #51 that a Model 2 lifecycle costs will beat a Yaris.
I am waiting.
How many times do we have to go in circles?
I do not dance on your say so, i have posted TCO comparisons on countless threads comparing a Model 3 to a Corolla, The Model 2 is slated to cost less and electricity costs about 1/2 to 1/4 the cost of gasoline.
When you say jump don't expect me to say how high, then repeat ad nauseum for your amusement.

So feel free to wait till the cows come home, i'm not your minion.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Top